Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Widest Tire on 16" Rim?

Basically the title, what is the widest tire I can fit on a 16" rim? I want to drop down an inch when I need new tires (probably next spring) and I just want to know what I can fit.

I'd prefer to go to a 225, if not a 215 but I just want all the rubber I can get. On top of that what is the widest tire you can fit on the stock rims?

Basically the title, what is the widest tire I can fit on a 16" rim? I want to drop down an inch when I need new tires (probably next spring) and I just want to know what I can fit.

I'd prefer to go to a 225, if not a 215 but I just want all the rubber I can get. On top of that what is the widest tire you can fit on the stock rims?
From what I've seen 225/45/16's will fit with minor modifications to the fender tab. Keep in mind tire companies don't make anything wider than 225's on 15 and 16 inch wheels because there's no need. On the stock wheels I've seen 215/40/17's up to one person that's running 235's(?) I think. But at that point, it's doing basically null on a 7 inch wheel. You have to move to 8 inch to get most of the benefits of a 225/235 series tire imo.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #6
From what I've seen 225/45/16's will fit with minor modifications to the fender tab. Keep in mind tire companies don't make anything wider than 225's on 15 and 16 inch wheels because there's no need. On the stock wheels I've seen 215/40/17's up to one person that's running 235's(?) I think. But at that point, it's doing basically null on a 7 inch wheel. You have to move to 8 inch to get most of the benefits of a 225/235 series tire imo.
So basically I could fit a 225 on a 7" wide rim, but that's going to not really be much better than a 215?

Maxxis makes a 245/40/15.

Look at the specs of the tires you're looking at. Not all widths are equal. Tire rack is an excellent resource, and otherwise, check manufacturer websites.

Otherwise, there's not a big benefit to a 225 on 7 compared to a 205.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
A 225 wide tire works fine on a 7" wheel. As for fitting it on a Fiesta, I have no idea. Is it that much better than a 215? Well, you would need to know the actual width of the tires you are comparing and the amount of contact patch per tire to see a difference. A 215 wide R-compound tire is going to be better than a 225 all season tire, so you really need to know exactly what tires you are comparing. By better, are you asking which provides more contact patch? More grip? Better looks? Better turn-in? Better is highly subjective without a clear criteria to evaluate.

I prefer to match tire width and wheel width as close as possible so the sidewall is as square to the tread as it can be. This allows for equal displacement from neutral when turning. I also hate the look for a wide wheel with skinny tire and a narrow wheel with a wide tire. Proper wheel and tire selection comes down to optimizing both for the application. When you say you want the most rubber as possible, what is the end performance result you are looking for? Maximum grip? Then a wide tire and a very soft compound is what you want. The downside of a wide tire is the increased mass, which slows the acceleration and increases the deaccleration rates along with requiring more effort for turn-in due to inertia. A wide tire also creates more aerodynamic drag since the air sees a tire as a giant obstruction it needs to move around. A wide tire is also bad in the wet. A skinny tire is bad in the dry. It is all about balance and optimization. Having a clear objective is key to start the evaluation process.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #10
Well I live in SoCal so I'm looking for summer tires, wet isn't really an issue. I just want the best grip with the best turn in. I'm basically looking for some great canyon road tires, I guess I'll have to look into the actual tire stats more...but the main thing I want is the best grip in the dry without rubbing. I'm happy with the power I have on the canyons I drive, I just want all the grips.

Also, everyone, thank you so much for the help!

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I would go with a P215 wide tire with a low profile, that will give you the best turn-in, most sidewall support, and the safest fitment to avoid rubbing. I would look at perhaps a 40 series. A 16" wheel with the same tire diameter as stock will reduce turn-in since you have more sidewall to delay the steering input between the wheel and tire. For compound and tread pattern, look for a tire that Tire Rack has tested that has the best skid pad results. Expect them to wear out very fast and depending on tread design and have terrible wet handling. You want large tread block with minimal cuts.

Some suggestions;
ADVAN AD08R
Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec
Potenza RE71R
Falken Azenis RT615K

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The only tire that Tire Rack carries in a 215/40-16 is the Yoko Sdrive @ 22.7" in overall diameter (0.7" shorter than factory stock).

I don't know about the brands which TR does NOT carry, i.e.; Nitto, Federal, etc.

I just cannot see the 215/45-16 being all that much worse/more horrid than the 215/40, both being mounted on a non-ideal 7" wide wheel anyway. [dunno]

To add to the above suggestions, Bridgestone Potenza RE-11 has been my go to tire for almost a decade. They're quiet, sticky, responsive, impressive in the wet, and they gradually let you know when they're gonna let go (some tires break loose abruptly, not the case with RE-11.)

Bonus is, they're non-directional AF!

205's will suit your needs perfectly.

I ran 235/45r17s on the stock tire for a day. Rubbed at full lock and when going over bumps. Stock ride height.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk