Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What are some sticky tires in the stock size?

Based

Ok I think I want to get sticky tires and light wheels for my next mod. I am looking to get a faster 60' time mainly but I also like cornering.

I also don't want to sacrifice steering feel so I don't think I want to get a wider tire, just a better compound. Is it worth it to try and make the best out of the stock size or do I have to go wider for any real benefit? What are some sticky tires to choose from?

KKaWing

Exact size 205/40-17 would be Falken RT-615K <<< kinda old 200TW autocross special and Nitto NT-01 <<< R-comp
a bit bigger 215/40-17 you would get Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Specs <<< Recent 200TW autocross special.

Maybe pirelli pzero Nero or mps as.
The stickiest tire I know of know is the 205/45 RE-71 from Bridgestone or pirrelli trofeo.

Toyo Proxes R888r if you live in a dry climate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see you live in LA. I live way out in Maine and I have the pirelli pzero Nero GT. Great summer tire. they grab nice. No complaints out here with them. I run a seperate winter set up because they get useless in cold temps but you shouldn't have that issue.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You can't really get sticker tires for the money and they come in a ton of sizes.
They also are less 'tready' (or 'cut') than the regular 888s, with much more slick-like outer shoulder blocks to help them out in DRY conditions, but of course, this would render them that much more useless in any kind of wet road/track conditions. ;)

They also are less 'tready' (or 'cut') than the regular 888s, with much more slick-like outer shoulder blocks to help them out in DRY conditions, but of course, this would render them that much more useless in any kind of wet road/track conditions. ;)
That's why I said dry climate. If I lived in LA or Texas I would daily them. I live in denver so I'm considering it but I definitely wouldn't take my car in the rain

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #9
Is there a difference in a sticky tire in the corners and a sticky tire in a straight line? Like are they designed differently to perform better in certain applications?

I'm really interested in the re-71 because I've heard about them being so sticky that the car will actually roll over. I just got my 16x7 wheels in today and I want to run 205/45/16.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^ANY of the autocross/road course oriented R compound, or 200 tread wear tires are NOT great for drag racing, IF that is what you are asking.

They will give great straight line traction when moving (like from a 'roll'), or launching off of a corner apex, but the sidewalls are way too stiff for a maximal, standing start drag race style 'dig'.

The RE-71R is a phenomenal tire for it's given purpose though, and I would use them if they were made in the 215/40-17 size I need for the 17x8 1.2s.[wink]

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #11
I am reading that the re-71's don't last very long. I need something that will be good for a daily driver. Maybe re-11r

Any 200tw tire will wear quickly, but its all about rotation, abuse, driving style, etc. The people getting only a few thousand miles out of the RE71R's are probably autocrossing/tracking A LOT on abrasive surfaces like concrete and running aggressive alignments to take maximum advantage of the tire. I had almost 10K on a set of Toyo R1R's on my last car, almost all highway commuting with a VERY aggressive alignment, and they looked near new when I pulled them off and sold them to a friend. It was WAY too much grip for the street and only really was a benefit at an autoX- I did about 6 events, on concrete, as well. I really like the Ultra-high and Maximum performance tires(260-340tw) tires. The grippier stuff like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport, (new) Firestone Firehawk Indy 500, and BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2's are great all arounds. FYI, I cut better 60ft's on the BFG G-Force Sport Comp-2's that I had on the car before the Toyo R1R's. The softer sidewall of the BFG's seemed to absorb more of the inital hit, and it seemed like it was easier to get the compound stickier at the track- they picked up stones at both autox and the drag strip, if that's any indication of how sticky they got when properly warm. I'm probably going to get a set of 205/45/16 FFIndy500's in the spring to try them out as they're supposed to be better in both wet and dry. I never got the stock Potenzas anywhere close to the same level of adhesion as previous tires I've ran.

Budget a concern? Federal 595 RS-R, just keep them indoors when temps drop.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^The problem with the most excellent Pilot Super Sports is that Michelin refuses to make them any in sizes we could use, save for the 205/45-17 maybe. [:(]