Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trade the FiST for a Toyobaru?

I would not expect ANY FWD car (even a 'perfectly' setup one) to be as 'capable', or have 'chassis dynamics' as good as a properly engineered RWD car, so I have no clue as to WHY everyone is comparing them as if they were the same thing. [???:)]

As far as the former goes, our rides seem to be one of the best out there, no?
People compare these cars because they are "cheap" and fun to drive. They are vehicles that typically get cross-shopped because they offer the same general thing to the prospective buyer.

AzNightmare

Yes, they get cross shopped in the grand scheme of things. Of course, I can also understand for those that want to get more specific, like RWD is a must, 2 door is a must, etc, then there's no question for cross-shopping. Just what people are looking for.

Initially, I was looking at the BRZ/FRS as well, but the car was a bit more expensive and less practical, so I had to look for something else.

Long story short, if you can afford it and don't mind 2 seats and a small trunk, hands down the BRZ/FRS.
Also, if you enjoy the attention of people thinking you drive a nice and fast car, BRZ/FRS.
If you want the average joe to think you drive a Prius C, FiST is not a bad choice.

Thanks for the advice everybody!

I have a weekend truck, so I don't put anything in the FiST that doesn't belong in there lol. After thinking about it all night, driving my car today, and not getting a "yes" from the dealer to buy the FRS at $13,500 vs $14,500, I'll most likely stay in the Fiesta.

I was trying to talk myself into less torque. It would need exhaust, intake, tune, lightweight pulley, E40, & lightweight wheels to be fun for me. A 2nd gear blast today reminded me why I love the FiST. Spins the tires from 2000 rpm and pulls smooth to 6500. If the dealer is willing to go low on the FRS, I'll be torn, but I'll wonder as well why it's not selling. FRS blue isn't as good as Performance blue, anyway.

So as far as i'm aware, CAI and the lightweight pulley dont actually add much performance wise if anything to the 86. You'll get most bang for your buk with a headerback exhaust system and aftermarket headers with an e85 tune/flexfuel kit. At that point you'll actually probably be zippier than the FiST. The Mods on my car are new wheels, UEL header, catless front pipe full catback exhaust (performance wise) and my car feels only slightly less torquey than my Fiesta.

But thats kind of the catch. the twins were designed as a blank slate for people. Stock they are awesome imo and definetly scratch that itch for some. However because they are able to be so easily modified if you want it to hit certain number you will have to spend the money to get it there.

Have you had the opportunity to really drive one though? For me i found test drives done do the car justice. It wasnt until i took it on my first canyon run that i really fell in love with my car.

OP
OCDFist
Thread Starter #24
[MENTION=2294]OCDFist[/MENTION] you can still buy the x37 directly from pumaspeed. If you need help getting in contact with the right people let me know I can get you the email
That was my next step, through TUNE+, because it was a reasonable cost & reasonably available. The next option is SS or DHM for more money. What was/were the issue(s) at Pumaspeed? I'm not going to spend the money for a big DHM kit. The X37/C39 is plenty fine for me.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
That was my next step, through TUNE+, because it was a reasonable cost & reasonably available. The next option is SS or DHM for more money. What was/were the issue(s) at Pumaspeed? I'm not going to spend the money for a big DHM kit. The X37/C39 is plenty fine for me.
Tune+ had issues with pumaspeed.. apparently he owed them money or didn't give them core turbos back. Something along those lines. I know of two people who bought directly through pumaspeed with no issues.

OP
OCDFist
Thread Starter #26
So as far as i'm aware, CAI and the lightweight pulley dont actually add much performance wise if anything to the 86. You'll get most bang for your buk with a headerback exhaust system and aftermarket headers with an e85 tune/flexfuel kit. At that point you'll actually probably be zippier than the FiST. The Mods on my car are new wheels, UEL header, catless front pipe full catback exhaust (performance wise) and my car feels only slightly less torquey than my Fiesta.

But thats kind of the catch. the twins were designed as a blank slate for people. Stock they are awesome imo and definetly scratch that itch for some. However because they are able to be so easily modified if you want it to hit certain number you will have to spend the money to get it there.

Have you had the opportunity to really drive one though? For me i found test drives done do the car justice. It wasnt until i took it on my first canyon run that i really fell in love with my car.
I just drove it on the highway and a couple of side roads, no canyons here in St. Louis. Unfortunately, my commute is not exciting, and rarely will be, so I couldn't use the FRS to it's full potential. I figured if I did all the bolt-ons it could be fun, but it's a different powerband than I'm used to now.

I came from a tricked out, full bolt on and custom tuned (by Delicious), FRS with big brakes and thousands invested to make go faster and handle better.

Truth is I don't really miss the FRS and the Fist is faster. I needed a little bit more practicality and room and I continually reinforce my happiness with the Fist. It's far from perfect but for the price is very tough to beat with a little bit of practicality thrown in.

I've driven a FR-S and drove spiritedly against BRZ/FR-S in the mountains . They have much higher potential on the corners , but yes they are slow on the straights. Many corners a fist has to slowdown for , the 86 does not. 86's can maintain momentum at a much higher rate than the fist. But the fist can come out accelerating faster.

Both cars are faster in different places on the mountains. Both are solid choices for fun, depends on your needs and wants.

OP
OCDFist
Thread Starter #29
Well, the dealer came down to $13,600 and buying my FiST for $14,250. I knew it had paintwork on it from a deer accident, buuuuut I ran the carfax and it had a right/rear accident in '14 and a front airbag-deployed in January '16, so adios to that one. I'm enjoying the FiST again, anyway.

zanethan

Well, the dealer came down to $13,600 and buying my FiST for $14,250. I knew it had paintwork on it from a deer accident, buuuuut I ran the carfax and it had a right/rear accident in '14 and a front airbag-deployed in January '16, so adios to that one. I'm enjoying the FiST again, anyway.
If an airbag was I would think it should have a rebuilt title. Also that's a very shady dealer for not disclosing that info. Good call on the pass given the cars history.

OP
OCDFist
Thread Starter #31
I'm not sure how it works in Illinois (where it was titled when in the accident). It looks like the owners changed at the same time of the accident, which sure looks like it was an insurance buyout/salvage. There's others around, but I'm fine where I am in the FiST for a few years. I just needed to buy a few more parts and play around a little.

Good on you for checking. Honestly there is something about the FiST that the BRZ/FRS cant beat. Like dont get me wrong i LOVE my BRZ and i will hands down always choose to drive it over my FiST. But the FiST is very very satisfying to drive. You can also mod it out and still never look as ricey as my modded 86 haha

MPA

I've had 4 Miatas in the past, and really wanted a BRZ when they came out - but I was scared that I would get bored with the BRZ like I did with the Miatas in normal day to day driving, and at the time it was a $30k gamble. I ended up with a used C6 instead.

I don't get bored of the FiST day to day. I do look at other cars all the time, but its hard to see myself having more fun then I do now. And bring married now, I can't just follow every little whim like I used to :)

I've had 4 Miatas in the past, and really wanted a BRZ when they came out - but I was scared that I would get bored with the BRZ like I did with the Miatas in normal day to day driving, and at the time it was a $30k gamble. I ended up with a used C6 instead.

I don't get bored of the FiST day to day. I do look at other cars all the time, but its hard to see myself having more fun then I do now. And bring married now, I can't just follow every little whim like I used to :)

If you got bored of the Miata's i can guarantee you would have been bored with the BRZ so you dodged a bullet there. The miata had the advantage of being the lightest car out of these three (FiST, BRZ, Miata) and so i felt like it has the perfect amount of torque. The BRZ has the same torque but its a heavier car so you have to drive it with momentum in mind. You sound like you really enjoy the turbo of the FiST. The FiST has the most torque of the three and for a lot of people that makes it instantly more fun right out of the box.

MPA

I still want one one day - but I'll have to boost it. but yeah, the torque down low keeps the FiST fun