Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

short shifter 'plates'

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Who's underhood, top of transaxle, short shifter plate adapter reduces the throw the MOST, even if it is just by a single percent or two over the others??

I do plan on installing the boomba racing ultimate short shifter pieces eventually, but do not want to spend many hours out in the cold tearing the whole interior of the car apart right now, so I want the absolute shortest throw possible RIGHT NOW, but that will still work with boomba's other spacers, bushings, and shift handle assembly eventually. ;)

Thanks in advance,

Dave H.

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
^^^THANKS! [thumb]

I wonder if the above set at max 25% reduction, and the boomba interior shift handle set at it's max 25% reduction would not even allow the transaxle to go into gear at all due to cable binding/whatever?? [???:)] [dunno]

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
The Mountune is advertised at 30% reduction

I'm not saying it's better than any other out there as it's the only I have experience with so far but I can say it's made quite a difference
The quality is second to none though....packaging to machining to instructions...awesome!
As an FYI - There are threads on here about the FSWERKS regarding poor fitment and machining quality

So far I've added the Mountune quick shift and a Cobb shift knob to raise the knob height a bit
Adding anything else like solid mount bushings at the trans or shifter base bushings will yield negligible differences at best
again, just my opinion

I have an FSWERKS as well and love it. Even though it isn't machined perfectly it still fit fine. I have had it set at 25% reduction for the last 10k miles and it's great

DvC

The Mountune is advertised at 30% reduction

I'm not saying it's better than any other out there as it's the only I have experience with so far but I can say it's made quite a difference
The quality is second to none though....packaging to machining to instructions...awesome!
As an FYI - There are threads on here about the FSWERKS regarding poor fitment and machining quality

So far I've added the Mountune quick shift and a Cobb shift knob to raise the knob height a bit
Adding anything else like solid mount bushings at the trans or shifter base bushings will yield negligible differences at best
again, just my opinion
A dhm extension moved the shifter.back far enough for me. Not sure if yours is to your liking or not but i couldnt reach while in 5th without it

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
A dhm extension moved the shifter.back far enough for me. Not sure if yours is to your liking or not but i couldnt reach while in 5th without it
interesting
I have no issue with 5th
but I have seen the extension

The mountune plate is also much harder to install over any other plate
I will admit, when I was installing mine, a LOT of swearing was required! Trying to use that extractor contraption to get the OEM mounting pin out was taking forever.

Then I figured things out. Spend an extra five minutes and take the airbox out first. After that, it was a piece of cake.

I'm extremely happy with the feel of the shifter now that it's installed, though.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I will admit, when I was installing mine, a LOT of swearing was required! Trying to use that extractor contraption to get the OEM mounting pin out was taking forever.

Then I figured things out. Spend an extra five minutes and take the airbox out first. After that, it was a piece of cake.

I'm extremely happy with the feel of the shifter now that it's installed, though.
you do need to be somewhat comfortable with tools for the install
the extractor or puller needs to be loosened to remove the OEM pin
and I came up with really quick and easy way to tighten the main 5m hex super quick

I'll update my build thread with some tips on the install

Tightening the 5 mm hex is no big deal. Mountune was kind enough to slot the top of it so you can tighten it 95% of the way with a screwdriver from above. It was just the extractor that was a hassle.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Tightening the 5 mm hex is no big deal. Mountune was kind enough to slot the top of it so you can tighten it 95% of the way with a screwdriver from above. It was just the extractor that was a hassle.
geezzz didn't notice that
thanks
the extractor was easy for me
I guess if we did the install together it would have been a breeze LOL

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15

So you did not feel the throw, or the 'crispness' of the shift need to be improved even further yet with the boomba handle, after the Mountune plate install?? [dunno]

So you did not feel the throw, or the 'crispness' of the shift need to be improved even further yet with the boomba handle, after the Mountune plate install?? [dunno]
Honestly, I really like the throw just the way it is now. I don't like extremely short throws, though. The preference for shifter feel is such a personal thing however, so one man's "perfect shift feel" may feel like trying to stir jello with a wet noodle to someone else.

I will probably swap out the bushings with the Boomba's though, regarding the "crispness." There's still a little room for improvement there.

The nice thing is that all of this is modular, so you can do it piece by piece until you're happy. Based on what you've said in the past, I doubt you'll be happy with just the Mountune plate, but it's where I'd start if you want to get to the shortest throw possible with off the shelf parts.

I installed the FSWERKS short shifter plate this morning, pretty happy with the results thus far.

Also installed their shift bracket bushings. Not sure how much of the improvement is one or the other but figured I might as well do it while I was in there.

Set at 25%, feels pretty good to me, the effort feels exactly like what I wanted with almost none of the factory vagueness.

Easy install too. I have the MAP intake and left it installed, just removed the filter. Getting the battery box out was pretty straight forward. Also pulled my unused symposer hose all the way out while I was under the battery box.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
I use the Mountune short shifter and the Boomba shifter handle.
I find them to work perfectly together to provide the shortest shift throw possible.

Dave

OP
M-Sport fan

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
I use the Mountune short shifter and the Boomba shifter handle.
I find them to work perfectly together to provide the shortest shift throw possible.

Dave

THANK YOU!! [twothumb]

This is exactly what I will do IF the Mountune alone is not short throw enough for me. [wink]