Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

squeaky noise front passenger side

Hi,

i need your help. About month i'm having very annoying squeaky noise from right front somewhere close to tire-suspension, it could be engine.. (like an old mattress with springs). Noise appears on speed obstacless , when on hill (swing movement) and pootholes. You can hear in cockpit as well outside. Funny It reacts on weather (cold -dry not so loud, rain-cloud very loud). Do you guys have any idea what could this be? ...

I appreciate it

Sorry for Grammar mistakes

Fiesta mk7 1.6 ST , 2014 (nov) ,17400 miles , Eu 3 doors..

try pushing your headlight a little, it's probably rubbing the fender.

on my car the passenger side headlight is rigid, but driver side has a little give and squeaks and rubs on the fender. haven't had the chance to take it apart and see what is going on.

OP
I
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, will try tomorrow (10pm right now in my Country..). , report tomorrow.

ty

OP
I
Thread Starter #4
try pushing your headlight a little, it's probably rubbing the fender.

on my car the passenger side headlight is rigid, but driver side has a little give and squeaks and rubs on the fender. haven't had the chance to take it apart and see what is going on.
Unfortunately issue remains [sad] guess another visit to locar dealer (1st time they didnt find anything). Drove them to a test drive (up to hill - i swing car up and down, atleast they hear loud noise inside and outside) and still didn't figuer out what the problem is. Im appointed again this month. I hope they will fix under warranty that i still have..

like this on vid :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vL0xte8sqPA

0:41 to 0:51 exact sound but louder

Cheers,

So your headlights are not making any contact with your body panels? to be more specific the bottom of my headlight touches the fender at about 1 inch from the bumper to fender line.

try gently pushing your fender and bumper around the area where you hear the noise.

mine literally sounds a little louder and the squeak is sharper.

If I have time this weekend, I'll get a vid to show what I am talking about.

of course I can just be plain wrong and its something in the suspension.

OP
I
Thread Starter #6
It does but pushing both of them didn't do the trick. I did manage to find similar noise on youtube, its not so loud like on video but its very similar..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dkAIT56hSw

it starts after 1:00..

I guess its lower arm control or lower control arm bushing?? but might be wrong

It does but pushing both of them didn't do the trick. I did manage to find similar noise on youtube, its not so loud like on video but its very similar..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dkAIT56hSw

it starts after 1:00..

I guess its lower arm control or lower control arm bushing?? but might be wrong
In the last month, with weather getting colder, I am getting a noise just like the one in the Lancer video. It only seems to happen when the car is cold, and gets worse the colder it gets. The noise sounds like its coming from the passenger side, behind the dash or near the firewall. It's not any louder with the windows down. After driving for 10 minutes in 45 degree F weather, the sound is almost completely gone. I notice it the most when slipping the clutch from a stop to first gear. Also notice it in reverse. Also noticed it in second gear at low speeds when transitions from acceleration to engine braking and vice versa.

I am confused because I had my body listen with the hood popped, and he couldn't hear anything (probably the injector sounds mask this sound. I wonder if it is lower control arm or what. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Subb'd*

I'm getting something similar to the OP.

Got a squeak from the front passenger side wheel, it only squeaks when the temperature drops below about 45 F.

Tried giggling the headlights a little to replicate the sound but had no luck, everything is tightened good from when I did my FMIC. :/

*** UPDATE! ***

Something urged me to check it out some more today I got under the car and compared both wheel wells and discovered the noise might have been coming from the wheel well plastic cover!
I did also check the two huge bolts that hold the shock assembly to the wheel hub, sprayed them with WD40 and tugged on them, both were in there great so no issues there..

I looked at the highest mount for the brake indicator/sensor wire mount and found that Ford must have either ran out of plastic push pins or got lazy but the hole on the plastic cover was not mounted via push pins into the body, they appeared to just put the hole on the plastic cover around the mount for the brake sensor wire mount and put the rubber holder in place to secure it!!!

So i pulled one of the plastic plugs from the center of the air dam under the bumper since there is two there and plugged up the wheel well hole, went for drive and the noise only came back twice but it was barely noticeable! by the end of the drive the noise was gone!

Also it had been squeaking today before I did all of this and it was under 35 F today too.

So, so far so good!

I'll keep you guys updated if the noise comes back or if this did it! [like]

*** UPDATE! ***

Something urged me to check it out some more today I got under the car and compared both wheel wells and discovered the noise might have been coming from the wheel well plastic cover!
I did also check the two huge bolts that hold the shock assembly to the wheel hub, sprayed them with WD40 and tugged on them, both were in there great so no issues there..

I looked at the highest mount for the brake indicator/sensor wire mount and found that Ford must have either ran out of plastic push pins or got lazy but the hole on the plastic cover was not mounted via push pins into the body, they appeared to just put the hole on the plastic cover around the mount for the brake sensor wire mount and put the rubber holder in place to secure it!!!

So i pulled one of the plastic plugs from the center of the air dam under the bumper since there is two there and plugged up the wheel well hole, went for drive and the noise only came back twice but it was barely noticeable! by the end of the drive the noise was gone!

Also it had been squeaking today before I did all of this and it was under 35 F today too.

So, so far so good!

I'll keep you guys updated if the noise comes back or if this did it! [like]
So was this the solution?

Hello Stun a, unfortunately it was not.

However, just today it was a chilly 38 F and the car was squeaking like crazy every shift like it has been for the last 6 months this morning
and I think it is indeed as other members chimed in about, the headlights making the squeaking.

So I opened the hood, revisited the headlights, I loosened both T27 bolts that hold the headlights on, and try pressing the headlights either up or down,
re-torqued them and drove around to see which way the headlights need adjusted to get rid of the squeaking.

I attached two pictures. the headlight upper and lower bolt holes have gaps in them, it might be different for everyone's FiST's how they need adjusted,
i pulled mine toward me, down, while facing the windshield until a small gap showed on both holes and harped on them with the t27 3/8s bit I bought from Home Depot, until both bolts were snug, I did this on both headlights too.

Went on a test drive, did a few sloppy shifts which used to make the headlights squeak like freaking crazy, and got ZERO squeaking! Success!!!!
I got on a back road after, and gave it some beans, did the o' 1st to 2nd chirp with zero squeaking from 1st all the way to 6th.

Used to squeak in every gear wither you were nice to it or not, but now no more squeaking and I am very glad as I was about to drop money on suspension parts, I already replaced the Sway bar end-links like some people in the FoST community have recommended and had no success, although it most likely didn't hurt to do that either I would like to think since i'v been taking corners like a mad man with the new traction and rear torsion bar I got from TB a few weeks ago lol.

I attached two pictures of what my bolt gaps on the headlights look like, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND the T27 3/8's adapter to tighten them down.
One other thing just make sure you don't over do it (Duh) and crack your headlight tabs where the bolts go in.

Hope this helps anyone!

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OsRFFhCMshQldxOXkyZFQ2VUk/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-OsRFFhCMshOTVab0VQN3FveHM/view?usp=sharing

Well I finally got my Fist back. The dealer claims the sound was coming from the rear passenger wheel bearing, so they replaced it. This made no sense to me, but if they found a bad wheel bearing under warranty and decided to replace it, that's good I guess.

I'll try the tip about the headlight. Incidentally I periodically remove and replace the passenger headlight in order to drain my Mishimoto oil catch can. I've become pretty good at it by now.

I'm getting the same problems too. Sound is distinct when slipping the clutch in reverse gear and can occur on slow speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. It's creaking sound that appears it's coming from the front passenger side. But once the car is warmed up and driven for a while, the creaking disappears. Any thoughts? I tried the headlight tip but to no success.

I just got my FiST back after waiting a month. Had a deer leap out and smash the passenger side of the car at 40 mph, completely destroying the headlight, bumper, hood and fender. Did about 7k of damage, 3.5 in parts and 3.5 in labor. [xx(] Thankfully the IC was okay, nothing mechanical that i know of was harmed. [woot] But the new headlight is squeaking.. [facepalm] I'll try playing around with it tomorrow if its not too cold and see if I can come up with anything, since the last time messing with it did get me somewhere lol.

My fist is squeaking like racy with the colder weather. What is this and how do I fix it???

So, I tried to get a recording of it, you can kinda hear it at 10 seconds. The creeking is kinda annoying and concerning. Only happens when you're slipping the clutch on reverse or 1st and 2nd.

https://youtu.be/G6GGI00Ai3U
My FIST is currently having a very similar noise at the right front area. It is most noticeable when its cold out and getting the car to start moving in reverse. The noise is still there when you go over speed bumps or when you get going in 1st and 2nd. I inspected my car and found the right side engine mount collapsed a bit and the top rubber part is rubbing on the metal part of the mount right below the rubber causing a noise. When there is engine movement, the right engine mount will squeak.

My FIST is currently having a very similar noise at the right front area. It is most noticeable when its cold out and getting the car to start moving in reverse. The noise is still there when you go over speed bumps or when you get going in 1st and 2nd. I inspected my car and found the right side engine mount collapsed a bit and the top rubber part is rubbing on the metal part of the mount right below the rubber causing a noise. When there is engine movement, the right engine mount will squeak.
I fixed mine back on monday. It was indeed the passenger side motor mount. What I did was remove the coolant then I removed the bolts holding the motor mount to the engine. Remember to jack the engine up or you will stress out the other mounts supporting it. I then removed the center bolt of the motor mount which was holding that rubber piece you were taking about. This bolt is springy so it's essential you dont loosen it too much but just enough where you can seperate the rubber from it's housing. Then I lubricated the rubber and housing with silicone lubricant. (Dont use WD40 because that eats rubber up). Finally bolt everything back. I dont know what the torque specs were but I did 80ft/lbs lol. Now the creak is gone and the shift clunks are surprisingly gone too!

Thanks for sharing! I’m running the mishimoto oil catch can. It bolts to this motor mount actually. From what point did you jack the engine and is it really needed to lift the engine slightly?