Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Set Off the Alarm ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
0) Shut engine off.
1) Open Driver Door
2) Hit the dash lock button.
3) Get out.
4) Reach in, hit the dash unlock button.
5) Open Driver Rear Door.
6) Alarm goes off.
7) Hit remote unlock button to cease alarm.

Hmm.
What just happened?
I thought the first time this happened some weeks ago, it was just a fluke.
Have you had this happen?

zanethan

It's not a fluke it's how most passive factory car alarms work. The alarm arms whenever you lock the door doesn't matter if it was via the dash button/key fob/exterior button. However, the dash button doesn't disarm the system or, if you prefer, only the fob can disarm the alarm. This makes sense because if the dash button did disarm the alarm someone could just smash in your window, unlock the car via the button, open the door and steel all you stuff all with out it being triggered. It is the actual act of opening the door triggers your alarm.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I was able to reproduce this again. It is a flaw. You're forgetting about step number four and the presence of the key fob. Just smashing the window and hitting the unlock button would fail to disarm, only because the keyfob isn't present in the passenger compartment or along the parameter of the vehicle. Most alarm systems, at the time of arming, will warn if there's an open door, hood, trunk and in some cases, sun roof or window. Whatever the compromised trigger is at the time of arming, will subsequently be ignored until another disarm/arm cycle. This means that someone would be able to smash the window, hit the unlock button, and open the driver door, without triggering the alarm; and this is regardless of the fact that they don't have the keyfob. At some point I will roll the window down and confirm that the system subsequently ignores the compromised trigger, at the time of arming.

EDIT 16y12m26d: I don't think it does because it flashes the arming lights whenever that same access point is closed.

EDIT 17y07m02d: Independent occurrence - http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-Open-the-Door?p=238315&viewfull=1#post238315

Last edited: