Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: CD Player - ever use it ?

Do you use the in-dash disc player ?

• Total voters
I definitely wouldn't use a spinning disk drive in my car. I see how unreliable that type of media is everyday at work as I replace laptop hard drives all the time at the computer shop I work at and I try to get as many customers as I can to move to SSDs. If not for the speed then for the bump and drop reliability. I tried using an old 64GB SSD in an enclosure in my car for awhile and my car didn't like something about it. Took 30 seconds or more for the music to even start playing. I currently use a tiny flash drive that barely sticks out of the USB port. They come in pretty large sizes if you really have that much music you actually listen to. A 16GB drive is more than enough for me. If I find I skip a song every time it comes on then it's probably time to just delete it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Hehehe "snobs"? [cool] Just have'n a little discussion M-Sport. Inserting ridiculous notions like "the weight of the laser/drive mechanism" is well, ridiculous. [smile]
Now who's doing the "straw man" thing?

I called NO ONE in particular a "snob", but was just speculating about, and searching for a REASON as to WHY having a CD player/slot in the dash seems so offensive to, (or at least a ridiculous item to have there for so many), since I just don't get the rationale.
NOT everyone has to have gone to the other sources, because of either convenience/storage, OR because it is what the majority does, or, "what all the cool kids do".
That's like claiming one MUST have the latest and greatest iPhone in order to just stay alive in today's world. [rolleyes]

The weight thing was merely a little (good-natured) razz/rip to all of the 1/4 gram counting weight savings weenies on here.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Great observation. Backward compatibility though, that's why it's there.
Yes, THANK YOU, since many (myself included) just like handling the CD format more, besides even the possibility of it sounding better (without additional complicated, and maybe costly, tech/hardware) than these other sources, despite[]/I] it being 'old, outdated, ancient tech'.

I refuse to sit and download everything from music sites, OR currently owned CDs, just to put on a stick/card, and then have to scroll through 1000 songs to find the one I want (yup, EVEN IF I had voice activation to speed the process. [nono]

The one place I will agree the non rotating drive sources have a CLEAR, and undeniable, advantage is their use in a very stiffly suspended ride on bad roads, for obvious reasons. ;)

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Now who's doing the "straw man" thing?

I called NO ONE in particular a "snob", but was just speculating about, and searching for a REASON as to WHY having a CD player/slot in the dash seems so offensive to, (or at least a ridiculous item to have there for so many), since I just don't get the rationale.
NOT everyone has to have gone to the other sources, because of either convenience/storage, OR because it is what the majority does, or, "what all the cool kids do".
That's like claiming one MUST have the latest and greatest iPhone in order to just stay alive in today's world. [rolleyes]

The weight thing was merely a little (good-natured) razz/rip to all of the 1/4 gram counting weight savings weenies on here.
Nice try. I didn't say you said we were snobs. You gave four choices.
1) "embarrassment' of having a seemingly "low tech/'80s era" device's loading port in plain view"
2) the weight of the laser/drive mechanism
3) disparaging 'tech snobbery'
4) [dunno]

The only choice that was actually reasonable was #4. But I somewhat understand the jest of #2 though, I'm not aware of that applying to anyone here.

It's cool though M-Sport. Carry on... [thumb]

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #46
Great observation. Backward compatibility though, that's why it's there.
You're right. Floppy drives were also popular in the same era and personally still have stacks of them though, I still can't buy a new computer with one. [wink]

...and technically speaking, "backward compatibility" would actually be, build a USB port that is capable of playing CDs.

AzNightmare

You're right. Floppy drives were also popular in the same era and personally still have stacks of them though, I still can't buy a new computer with one. [wink]

...and technically speaking, "backward compatibility" would actually be, build a USB port that is capable of playing CDs.

No, no, I'm talking about the entire audio unit as a whole providing backward compatibility for users. I'm not talking about literally the USB port being backward compatible...

Floppies weren't in the same era... 3.5" floppy disks were common in the mid 90s to late 90s, then CD's phased them out, which is why computers in the early 2000's still had the floppy drive yet CD's were used 99% of the time.... Doesn't that scenario sound rather familiar? It wasn't until mid 2000's that the floppy drive entirely became extinct from every computer. Your timeline seems to be way off... not sure if you're just exaggerating or it's because you weren't actually around long enough to have personally lived through this.

The other thing is, a CD is better than a floppy disk in every possible way. It was an easy decision to kill the floppy.
The USB stick is not necessarily better in every way, such as people who still have CD's that have music conveniently organized by artists called albums. And if you want to get "technical", CD audio aren't compressed like mp3's on a USB stick, but that's another discussion on whether people can really hear the difference through a cheap car audio system.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
No, no, I'm talking about the entire audio unit as a whole providing backward compatibility for users. I'm not talking about literally the USB port being backward compatible...

Floppies weren't in the same era... 3.5" floppy disks were common in the mid 90s to late 90s, then CD's phased them out, which is why computers in the early 2000's still had the floppy drive yet CD's were used 99% of the time.... Doesn't that scenario sound rather familiar? It wasn't until mid 2000's that the floppy drive entirely became extinct from every computer. Your timeline seems to be way off... not sure if you're just exaggerating or it's because you weren't actually around long enough to have personally lived through this.

The other thing is, a CD is better than a floppy disk in every possible way. It was an easy decision to kill the floppy.
The USB stick is not necessarily better in every way, such as people who still have CD's that have music conveniently organized by artists called albums. And if you want to get "technical", CD audio aren't compressed like mp3's on a USB stick, but that's another discussion on whether people can really hear the difference through a cheap car audio system.
"Backward compatible" isn't the phrase you're looking for then.

The phrase you're looking for is "legacy support." [ninja]

Backward compatibility only applies within the given technology.
DVD-RW was backward compatible with DVD-R. DVD-R was backward compatible with CD-RW. CD-RW was backward compatible with CD-R. CD-R drives were backward compatible with CD Reader drives. USB 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1. Get the picture ? It makes little sense to say that boombox is backward compatible because it supports 8-Track. It merely has legacy support for an older technology.

My first PC was in '93... and yes, Windows 3.1 loaded from floppies.

Didn't much worry about my friends scratching up my floppies, but we definitely agree that CDs are better; though CD-RWs didn't become a common accessory until the early 2000s.

AzNightmare

"Backward compatible" isn't the phrase you're looking for then.

The phrase you're looking for is "legacy support." [ninja]

Backward compatibility only applies within the given technology.
DVD-RW was backward compatible with DVD-R. DVD-R was backward compatible with CD-RW. CD-RW was backward compatible with CD-R. CD-R drives were backward compatible with CD Reader drives. USB 3.0 is backward compatible with 2.0. USB 2.0 is backward compatible with 1.1. Get the picture ? It makes little sense to say that boombox is backward compatible because it supports 8-Track. It merely has legacy support for an older technology.

My first PC was in '93... and yes, Windows 3.1 loaded from floppies.

Didn't much worry about my friends scratching up my floppies, but we definitely agree that CDs are better; though CD-RWs didn't become a common accessory until the early 2000s.

Oh sorry, I said the wrong terminology. Great observation. "legacy support" though, that's why it's there.

Seems like everything I said was pretty much correct besides using the wrong terminology. But at least now you know why this and pretty much every other car still has a CD player.

My first computer was a commodore 64. But who cares. I was only in here to tell you why the CD player is in here to stay, and it seems like you've figured it out now. [ninja][ninja]

Long Live the CD player. lol

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #50
No, there was actually a lot of incorrect stuff you said that I just didn't bother to comment on LoL. I have other things to do you know, and I'm sure that our little friendly banter is not entertaining to others reading this thread.... [wink]

AzNightmare

No, there was actually a lot of incorrect stuff you said that I just didn't bother to comment on LoL. I have other things to do you know, and I'm sure that our little friendly banter is not entertaining to others reading this thread.... [wink]
lol, no, I think I'm pretty spot on as to why cars kept the cassette in longer than it should have been, and why the CD player is being kept in cars longer than they should be.
Legacy support. [wink][wink]

When the next technology comes in, the USB ports going to stay longer than it needs to stay. It's a pattern! haha

I use the player occasionally when I have CD I haven't managed to rip onto my computer yet. It's also nice to have in case my phone is having issues, so I keep a couple CDs handy just in case. I can't stand the radio, too much crap.

My favorite band (Tool) does not have any of their stuff available digitally ("legally") so that is the only thing I use it for occasionally.

My favorite band (Tool) does not have any of their stuff available digitally ("legally") so that is the only thing I use it for occasionally.
I have the same issue. Blind Guardian's older work isn't available digitally, and it's even hard to come by CDs anymore. I had to order an album off of ebay to be shipped over from Germany :p

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #56
Great respect for bringing up the subject and choosing the moral path.

As far as I'm aware it's not illegal to make a digital "backup" copy for your own personal use; broadcast media being a possible exception. Legality only becomes an issue when those without explicitly stated rights or permissions, sell or share.

Never figured out why people insist on calling it "piracy" when that is actually digital theft. For instance, when the property is intellectual they call it "intellectual theft". Never recall hearing the phrase, "intellectual piracy".

Any Microsoft computer that has Windows Media Player on it, will allow you to convert your CDs to MP3 or WMA. They label it "rip" for some strange reason. Apple computers that come with iTune will allow the same; saving as AAC file format. Your car player can read the AAC format.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I think the main reason that the cd is still around is that there are people still using them. Yes there are "better" technologies available but there is still some demand for cds. Although I use my bluetooth most of the time, I still use my cds when the music I want to play is not available on Napster. I also play new cds that haven't been converted yet. Again this is not common for me but appreciated when the need arises.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #58
Few days ago I was talking to another person about car tech. I don't recall whether it was a Toyota or Honda but it was at least a couple of model years older. She had to think about it for a second and stated she didn't think it had a "Compact" Disc player.

Like circle headlamps and hood ornaments, polling has shown that the overwhelming majority of people won't miss it, if removed.... even if it's more than a few years late in doing so. Anyone who has owned a computer within the last 1.5 decades, inherently owns the ability to convert; and the overwhelming majority of us have.

I suspect Sony, a company that has always been staunchly against digital media distribution technologies, is behind the decision to resurrect and keep them in a 2016 vehicle.
(Discovered this gem on my Brother's PC long before it hit the news. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit)

When was the CD introduced?
Audio CDs and audio CD players have been commercially available since October 1982.

The CD Player was 30 years old back in 2012.
http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10...-cd-album-player-released-30-years-ago-today/

Ford, don't let Sony's "Betamax" and "MiniDisc" type wishful thinking override better judgement. They were great technologies of the day, but that day has grown long in the tooth.

Even though they were a hassle to install, I knew many people growing up who had CD Changers because people didn't listen to the same 10 or 12 songs for hours on end; and didn't want to constantly thumb through a pamphlet of scratched up discs at a stop-light.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Few days ago I was talking to another person about car tech. I don't recall whether it was a Toyota or Honda but it was at least a couple of model years older. She had to think about it for a second and stated she didn't think it had a "Compact" Disc player.

Like circle headlamps and hood ornaments, polling has shown that the overwhelming majority of people won't miss it, if removed.... even if it's more than a few years late in doing so. Anyone who has owned a computer within the last 1.5 decades, inherently owns the ability to convert; and the overwhelming majority of us have.

I suspect Sony, a company that has always been staunchly against digital media distribution technologies, is behind the decision to resurrect and keep them in a 2016 vehicle.
(Discovered this gem on my Brother's PC long before it hit the news. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sony_rootkit)

When was the CD introduced?
Audio CDs and audio CD players have been commercially available since October 1982.

The CD Player was 30 years old back in 2012.
http://thenextweb.com/media/2012/10...-cd-album-player-released-30-years-ago-today/

Ford, don't let Sony's "Betamax" and "MiniDisc" type wishful thinking override better judgement. They were great technologies of the day, but that day has grown long in the tooth.

Even though they were a hassle to install, I knew many people growing up who had CD Changers because people didn't listen to the same 10 or 12 songs for hours on end; and didn't want to constantly thumb through a pamphlet of scratched up discs at a stop-light.
Perhaps, but the fact is people still use it. New music is still being sold in stores worldwide on cds to this very day. Why should these people have to wait to convert their music to mp3 to enjoy it in their cars on the way home or whatever?

Maybe when music is no longer profitable to be sold on cds, then cd players should be taken out of cars...
Until then, for those of us who still use them, it's appreciated. I remember people complaining about cassette tapes when the CDs were introduced. I for one am glad they are in our cars still and I'm sure there are others.

Sent using Tapatalk

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #60
https://www.houstonpublicmedia.org/...nials-fuel-renewed-interest-in-vinyl-records/

People still profit from vinyl records.

People still use and are down right passionate about records and tapes, doesn't mean we should be forced into paying for them to be placed in *new* modern day vehicles. I just gave away a Minidisc deck this past Sunday.

It takes less than ten minutes to convert an 50 minute CD. Let go...

Ford Community Posts