Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Poll: CD Player - ever use it ?

Do you use the in-dash disc player ?

• Total voters

Intuit

3000 Post Club
There must be some good reason as to why they're still sticking a CD player in a 2016 vehicle ???
Does it play data DVD or video DVD ?
Seems like a waste of dash space to me.

See poll.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
We used to use it when our son was younger to play kids song. [rockon]

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
^ Yeah that's a good idea; replace the CD Player with an analog auxiliary input jack and/or memory card reader. 2016 already has bluetooth and USB.

I did often use an aux jack with my prior car but quit using CDs altogether roughly eight years ago. Even back then, it was common to use MIcrosoft's Windows Media Player to rip CDs to MP3 and WMA files.

8GB USB Sticks, common, super cheap, durable and reliable, store almost as much as a dual-layer DVD. With the USB ports in the console, I see no reason to have the disc player unless it does video DVDs; which no manufacturer in their right mind would take-on the legal responsibility of implementing. (driver watching movie while driving)

2016s don't have an aux port? Did you get the bigger screen? It's inside the center console beside the sd map card slot thing

2016s don't have an aux port? Did you get the bigger screen? It's inside the center console beside the sd map card slot thing
There's no SD card with sync 3, pretty sure I only have 2 usb in my center console

I put never but that's not entirely true. I used it the day I bought it. I brought along an iPod for the drive back home with my new car, but the iPod froze on me (later found out Sync 3 just doesn't play nice with any of the Apple devices I connected to it) and I needed long term music rather than trying to find some random radio station. I could have used Sirius looking back, but I didn't think about it. Anyway, I had ridden with my uncle and he had a CD he let me borrow.

On my old car I would use it every now and then if I wanted to listen to some new music but I was just plain too lazy to go out to the car and grab the iPod to sync it. Now I currently have a USB flash drive that doesn't stick out much so it can stay plugged in all the time and not accidentally get broken.

My mom still buys CDs so she'll use CDs in her car. She also listens to the radio a lot and to her iPod less frequently. Neither of us do any music streaming.

And for the 2016 they removed the AUX port and SD slot and changed it from one to two USB ports. The SD slot was mainly for the navigation maps card anyway and with Sync 3 you download new maps instead (after purchasing them for the ridiculous price of course)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
CDs are disgustingly compressed TOO MUCH already, so I REFUSE to use any of the newfangled data sources, as I suspect that they are even WORSE yet (not that it matters too much to my almost 1/2 hearing loss in ALL ranges, tinnitus ridden ears).

I had an iPod direct, wired, link to my aftermarket Alpine head unit in my last car, and any time I played anything from a download on that source, it sounded like CRAP compared to the CDs.

I would consider keeping the Sirius XM IF they did not repeat so often, (or even have in the FIRST place) their 'playlists'. [wink]

I've never used it and probably never will. I have all my music uploaded to Google Play Music, and have Pandora and Spotify too.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
NO, I never use it.
I just installed a 500GB hard drive instead.

Dave

Have used it a few times. The rest of the sound system is not good enough to take advantage of the WAV format files from a CD. I have ripped all my CD's and now have all my music on a USB stick in WMA 192 bit format. Sound is good, as least as good as the stock system can provide. I like the way the Ford Sync system catalogs and the voice activated commands to select a song is virtually flawless in use. Let my Sirrus lapse, have about 16 days of continuous music on my USB stick which gets me through the longest drives.

I tried mine on the drive home from the dealership and even after some fiddling with setting decided the stock sound was terrible so I turn it off and have not turned it on since. I must admit though some of this is my driving pleasure so I really don't care about music while driving because I'm having some a good time.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #16
LoL at some of the responses. M-Sport fan, somehow I don't think the term, "audiophile" quite fits you.

Yeah I threw all my CDs out and literally do not have one to even test it with. I also used 192kb/sec as apart of the conversion spec.

The external hard drive is a good idea. ~$45 and you've got a 500GB Drive...
http://www.microcenter.com/product/...SHD_ST500LM000_Bare_Drive_Factory-Recertified
http://www.microcenter.com/product/467904/NexStar_TX_25_SATA_to_USB_30_External_Hard_Drive_Enclosure

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
I should warn that hard drives while running, are susceptible to damage from shock and vibration. Drop it, running or not, and kiss your drive good by.

Good find Haste.
"shock, temperature and x-ray proof" lol - sounds like NASA would love to replace their space shuttle's reinforced carbon panel shielding and just line it with a zillion little flash drives... probably be cheaper.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
LoL at some of the responses. M-Sport fan, somehow I don't think the term, "audiophile" quite fits you.
NO, it does NOT. [:)]

But, most of the current, over-compressed, sources are SOOO BAD that even my destroyed stereocilia/hair cells in my inner ear can tell just how HORRID they sound, as even compared to garbage CDs.

I used to be a not maniacal, slightly lower than top 'esoteric grade audiophile', in both my car systems, and a full Linn home stereo system, back when vinyl was more than just the retro novelty it is today. [wink]

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-128GB-Flash-MUF-128BB-AM/dp/B017DH3O5A/

Why bother with anything else. 128gb for lossy music files is plenty, especially in an automobile.
Real nice find: holds 876 hours of MP3 320 Kbps! That should get you cross-country!

or, 5 bucks cheaper:

https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultr...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W1G8N1R1136CC2JFNQ31

If that's not enough, just buy several, one for each of your genres!