Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Next Gen Ford Fiesta Revealed

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #41
^^Fiesta "Active"

"The Fiesta is being launched in four distinct versions...

The Ford Fiesta Titanium is the core model but it?s joined by the performance focused Fiesta ST-Line and the luxurious Fiesta Vignale. Finally, the "Fiesta Active" is the new model designed to capitalise on the booming crossover market with its SUV styling cues".

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #42
All-New Ford Fiesta is ?World?s Most Technologically Advanced Small Car?

Nov 29, 2016 - AutoGuide

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/...most-technologically-advanced-small-car-.html

The next-generation Ford Fiesta has been unveiled and the little hatch will arrive in the U.S. as a 2018 model year car.

all-new-ford-fiesta-range.jpg

Introduced at a special event in Cologne, Germany, the all-new Ford Fiesta will be available in four variants in Europe: Upscale Vignale, sporty ST-Line, stylish Titanium and Active crossover. Like the new Chevrolet Spark Activ, the Fiesta Active features a high-riding body with crossover styling cues.

Along with a stylish redesign that gives the Fiesta a more mature look, the American automaker focused heavily on the interior and high-tech features. It continues to be built on Ford?s Global B platform, allowing the American automaker to save money on research and development.

On the inside, Ford uses soft-touch materials to replace the current rubbery-finished components, while a panoramic glass roof has been added. It is also the first Ford model to deliver a premium B&O PLAY Sound System, accompanied by a SYNC 3 communications and entertainment system presented on an eight-inch floating high-definition touchscreen. According to Ford, 20 buttons have been removed from the dash thanks to the new system.

Advanced safety features include a new anti-collision system that detects objects more than 425 feet (130 meters) in front of the car, and if the driver doesn?t react in time, it will automatically brake to prevent an accident. It?s just one of 15 new driver assistance features on the Fiesta, including Active Park Assist, Blind Spot Information, Cross Traffic Alert and Lane Keeping Assist.

In Europe, there will be a range of turbocharged and naturally aspirated three-cylinder gasoline engines available, as well as a new TDCi model that is the most powerful diesel Fiesta ever. It will also feature the 1.0-liter EcoBoost, which is the world?s first three-cylinder engine to feature cylinder deactivation.

Expect to hear details on the North American version of the Ford Fiesta closer to its launch in 2018.

I really like what I'm seeing so far. Some serious refinement in this car. It's easy to draw initial comparisons to KIA, etc., but if you watch the video, look at the interior, and exteriors in the round, it's clear these cars have their own design language and it's significantly more polished than our generation. I don't think it will ever diminish the love for our gen ST, but I'm really excited to see what they do with an ST for this new generation. The ST-Line looks good, if that's any indication. Agree with the general comment that the wheels should be stunners for the ST and not so anemic. Love this interior overall, though. Floating displays are also easy to bash until you spend time in a car with one and it goes a long way towards opening up the feeling of visibility out the windshield when you can keep the dashboard lower.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Please please offer a real diff even if some sort of performance pack option
^^^x10,000! [thumb]

Also, I truly HOPE that the all glass 'panoramic' roof which seems to be standard on ALL models(?) IF I am reading correctly, is a DELETE option on the actual FiST when it arrives!!
That alone would be a deal breaker for me, regardless of what kind of actual performance they give the FiST.

Watched the PR Event.

If priced right, that CUV-like makeup is Ford's license to print money in NA. Also, finally, integrated roof rails, which should have been implemented earlier considering the roof is already strong enough to support the car in a rollover. It seems to have also been given the most fanfare during the event as well as leading the pack around the floor.

It also looks as if in the rendering they slightly decreased the size of the seats in order to give a feeling of a larger greenhouse. Most of the size increase looks to be in the hips and rear profile, which give it a more wagon look. Certainly welcomed as it means more rear cargo space and maybe correctly folding rear seats. Though on further inspection they may have slightly peaked the front pillars allowing a taller front profile as well.

4 lug bolt pattern, and don't expect it to change as it is very popular globally.

Makes sense for a panoramic roof as it has been tricking down Ford's line-up. Though the weight and cost in the long run are a negative.

The front end design also takes cues from Clio and Peugeot (as well as the KA and KA+) which have definitely moved upmarket across the pond, defaulting the FiST as one of the cheapest hot hatches. Don't know if that will be true anymore.

I see a TCS Off button near the shifter, lane departure warning system, and it also looks like parking assist and collision avoidance? Looks to have loss the mini blind corner mirror (though of course this was just in NA). The touchscreen will entice even more people to steal these in Europe.

An actual Dead Pedal.

If we look at the ST-Line for evidence of the ST, it looks as if it will add larger/dynamic ground effects, front splitter with a more RS-derived cues, as well as a more aggressive spoiler and color accents inside.

If you have not watched the PR event, the Fiesta presentation was pretty good, though of course a pander to the younger gen. Starts around 1:20. The robot was cool but cringe-worthy. Is Europe getting it sooner than us? Will be receive leftovers as they phase out the current gen? Or are they simply referring to the 2017, as it would make sense for this to be released along the Ecosport in 2018. Also wouldn't the Active steal buyers from the EcoSport in Global markets?

Interesting that the Euro Marketing Lead said that the last year of production is this year for the current gen?? Also confirmed that the Fiesta will be moving upmarket, translation: more money. Is Europe getting it sooner than us? Will we receive leftovers as they phase out the current gen? Or are they simply referring to the 2017, as it would make sense for this to be released along the Ecosport in 2018.

Gone is the cursive Fiesta emblem, replaced with something akin to it's roots. No more aero on the mirror, so far, but it looks to have a curvy shape now.

Lastly there seems to be alot of indication that the 1.0 is the top engine for these trim levels. Nothing about the ST so far. What I found humorous was the Program Engineer saying that the ST-Line is the most fun small car to drive, when there is still the actual ST hiding somewhere. Though I think we may see the presentation of the ST from Ford Performance since that would make more sense.

^^^x10,000! [thumb]

Also, I truly HOPE that the all glass 'panoramic' roof which seems to be standard on ALL models(?) IF I am reading correctly, is a DELETE option on the actual FiST when it arrives!!
That alone would be a deal breaker for me, regardless of what kind of actual performance they give the FiST.
I don't see them having the panoramic roof standard. Imagine putting a bike up on your Fiesta Active then scratching that roof? I also don't think engineers are stupid enough to place glass uptop a car that is gutted for race events and mainly brought for performance/lightness, though if it was engineered to be lighter and stronger...

A diff would be the best thing, but if they drop a tuned 200hp 1.0 it won't be as useful as it being mated to the 1.6. We also must remember that alot of development went into that electronic diff, unless the mech. is cheaper, lighter, and better I don't see them moving in that direction.

I'm not blown away by this new generation. In my opinion its not really that new of a car, considering they are using the same platform and I think the same engines. In the video they mentioned a new 5-speed (?) and 6-speed transmissions which is odd because it seems most car companies are putting in more gears, not less. I also am not crazy about all the new "tech" features. Some of the safety stuff is great don't get me wrong, but I just hope they don't take away from the driving experience. The new 8 inch tablet screwed to the dash is ugly and the North American models have minimal buttons anyway. Also..not a huge fan of the outside appearance. It looks melted.

Would have to see in person. Certainly not all hot and bothered by this new design. Not awful by any means, but not enough to get me to change.
Bigger touch screen is OK, but frankly looks like an after market thing kind of tacked on.
Had the same feeling when I saw this floating screen design in the new Mazdas and Mercedes.
Interesting what the final ST engine will be and the level of tune.
Hopefully they don't mess with the suspension tuning making it softer.

Aw kinda hoped they would keep the taillights that go up the c pillar.

I'm surprised with the variety and investment fords making with the Fiesta. The ST-Line being the model for people who just want looks and an auto trans tells me they're going to keep the ST an enthusiast focused car. I'm anticipating good things, brakes, trans, steering will be even better

I enjoy it, especially the updates to the interior. It will be especially interesting to see the ST when it's revealed.

My favorite features are the panoramic sunroof and the 8" touchscreen. I don't like how the touchscreen floats like that, but it won't be bad if it's retractable. It should be molded into the dash but they probably want to keep it floating so they can add different screen sizes without having to run different molds for the dashboards.

I think I prefer the vertical tail-lights on the previous generation better then the horizontal one's but that's nitpicking. The front fascia doesn't look as aggressive as the previous model in my opinion even though people describe it as sporty. I think it looks tailored more to an older crowd.

I also don't like how they put the ST name in the ST Line. They should of came up with a different name for it. It's not the same as the Fiesta ST.

The ST Line reminds me of sleazy car dealers and the tactics they use to squeeze you. "Hey this is the ST, our performance version; you might have heard about it". Customer takes it home and pops the hood and realizes he's been swindled.

Not being a current owner, I can maybe offer a bit more objective analysis...

I was hoping to see more sophisticated and aggressive headlights, even these new ones look dated. Not asking for LED, but at least HID in this day and age. That extra clear plastic headlight cover you see as your eye moves rearward just looks cheap - see below for a much better look. Maybe the ST will get an (optional) upgrade here?

Overall the grocery-getter versions look a bit more conventional and less "fun" now. But if Ford makes the ST look like a mini RS they will have a winner.

Would LOVE to see an LSD but I doubt it'll happen. Still I suspect the new FiST will be impressive - keeping its outstanding turn-in and that sweet lift-off oversteer.

A few more HP would be nice, I found on my test drive that the car was very lively at lower speeds but above 100kph it's pretty gutless even when you are in the right gear - the MX-5 is faster. (The in-cabin engine sound needs tuning too, it goes from virtually nothing in-cabin at cruise to a bellow when you hoof it, with a very abrupt and artificial sounding transition).

Interior is a big step up at least for the display, the current one is a bad joke. At this price point it won't be retractable of course but as long as it's below the hood line in terms of line of sight I can live with it.

One thing I don't like on the new IP (and this is true of many new cars now): to allow more space for digital readouts, they have pushed the speedo and tach further to the edges, making them harder to see and more likely to be blocked by the wheel. I would love the FiST to offer a central tach, like most single-purpose performance cars have, but that is highly unlikely. Shift light at least, Ford?

Hoping it will be at the Toronto auto show this winter, which it should be if they show it in Detroit first.

Attachments

I like it too, and it appears that you'll be able to get a panoramic moonroof.

As for the ST, it apparently gets a bulge in the bonnet, not seen on the lesser models. Neato. ;-)

Gryf

My first initial reaction: KIA in the front, VW in the back.

The inside looks nice though. I like the flat-bottomed steering wheel and it looks like there's actual usable space now forward of the shift lever. All I can fit in the little cubby hole in the current generation is a flat air freshner. It's too bad they didn't debut it at the LA Auto Show, I would have loved to have seen it in person when I went last weekend. I'll reserve my final judgement when the actual ST version comes out (seems like we're all in agreement that the ST-line isn't the real ST).