Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2018 Next Gen Ford Fiesta Revealed

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I like the headlights, the taillights look a little cheesy to me. The interior looks like a nice step up, although I find ours quite functional and of decent quality. The B & O stereo is intriguing. To me, though, the real test will come with the ST- will it keep the quick handling and fun acceleration ours has. I think it will be important that it gain little to no weight. If it gets significantly heavier, it will be hard to make it as enjoyable, and all this convenience stuff brings the potential for significant weight gain.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I suspect this is a lot of people's reason for an initially negative response.
I have NO worries of "feeling outdated" since I drove my last car for almost 20 YEARS from new (and STILL loved it when I had to get rid of it!), so just a couple of years out of the newest model means NOTHING at all to me, since I despise 'trendiness' anyway. ;)

The size and weight gain, along with HAVING TO take that FUGLY Panoramic Moonroof would be the turn off deal breakers for me.

Like most Fiesta ST owners I did not buy my current ST for its looks, more for the above it's price range performance in the way it drives and handles.
As long as the new model drives and performs as good or better than the current ST that makes it a winner in my books.
Unfortunately there is a lot of history where the sharpness of an original model gets dulled in a new generation. Let's hope that does not happen here. Weight is critical, so let's hope Ford paid attention to the serious weight loss that Mazda gave the current ND MX-5
Not really too much you can do to make a small hatch look like a Ferrari with its small dimensions.
If anything, the rear styling makes it look a little like a small SUV, but certainly not horrible by any stretch.

MPA

I like the fog light area more then the current car, and if the interior is less plasticy, that'd be nice too.

But unless they put the FoST's 2.0 under the hood (doubtful) I don't see myself upgrading. I'd guess the ST engine and power are pretty similar to the current car.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #67
Would have to see in person. Certainly not all hot and bothered by this new design. Not awful by any means, but not enough to get me to change.
Bigger touch screen is OK, but frankly looks like an after market thing kind of tacked on.
Had the same feeling when I saw this floating screen design in the new Mazdas and Mercedes.
Interesting what the final ST engine will be and the level of tune.
Hopefully they don't mess with the suspension tuning making it softer.
Weren't the 16s already made softer? If anything with all the increased division in the Fiesta lineup and Ford's increased focus on performance I can see them bringing out something even more track worthy.

mada

The new Fiesta has a "softer" look and I kind of like it, can't wait to see it in person. But one of the things I really like about our car is the big, fat ST boot spoiler. I wonder how the next gen ST will look like..

The exterior changes are inoffensive, but not "gotta have it". That interior is where I'm licking my chops. I want it, because it looks just a little more comfortable to be in (bigger space for knees/better seats/quieter?), with some nicer materials and an actually modern and useable layout giving a bit more premium toward overall refinement. Refinement and sportiness can coexist.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #72
A few more interior pics...

2018-Ford-Fiesta-Euro-Spec-112-876x535.jpg

2018-Ford-Fiesta-Euro-Spec-115-876x535.jpg

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Damn, that interior makes me sad! Can't wait for more details

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect this is a lot of people's reason for an initially negative response.
x2. I think it looks okay. Not great, not bad. The interior; however, seems to be a massive step forward. But I'll hold final judgements on the interior until I actually sit in one and can evaluate the interior materials etc.

I like the fog light area more then the current car, and if the interior is less plasticy, that'd be nice too.

But unless they put the FoST's 2.0 under the hood (doubtful) I don't see myself upgrading. I'd guess the ST engine and power are pretty similar to the current car.
I'm gonna disagree with you there. Arguably the 1.6L is the ojectively better motor. It weighs less, it's more efficient, and it's much stronger internally when compared to the 2.0L. It seems people have to build their motors at like 350 WTQ on the FoST, while there's people here doing WAY over that on the stock motor. I wouldn't mind a displacement bump on the 1.6L, but from a design and engineering stand-point the 1.6L is still the better one.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #76
Wonder how much of that will get watered-down for the US version lol. The new floating display is reminiscent of Mercedes-Benz.
I really don't expect much to change between US and EU versions considering Ford claims the new Fiesta is now based on a unified global design platform...And hopefully the next gen FiST will offer nicer recarro seats this time around which also sit a bit lower...I like the larger floating 8" display...very similar to both Mercedes and Mazdas...

Wonder if this new interior design language will also carry over to the Focus line during their next refresh??

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
I really don't expect much to change between US and EU versions considering Ford claims the new Fiesta is now based on a global design platform...And hopefully the next gen FiST will offer nicer recarro seats this time around which also sit a bit lower...I like the floating 8" display...yes..very similar to both Mercedes and Mazdas...

Wonder if this new interior design language will also carry over to the Focus line during their next refresh??
I wouldn't be surprise to see this new interior trickle to other models as well. Lots of European cars and some Japanese brands like Lexus have already adopted this new floating display layout.

MPA

I'm gonna disagree with you there. Arguably the 1.6L is the ojectively better motor. It weighs less, it's more efficient, and it's much stronger internally when compared to the 2.0L. It seems people have to build their motors at like 350 WTQ on the FoST, while there's people here doing WAY over that on the stock motor. I wouldn't mind a displacement bump on the 1.6L, but from a design and engineering stand-point the 1.6L is still the better one.
Understood - I was just wanting the additional stock power without having to go big turbo

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #80
The New Ford Fiesta's Interior Is Big News

If you're a vibrant, expressive, playful and ambitious person, Ford made the new Fiesta just for you!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...-new-ford-fiesta-has-a-very-optimistic-grill/

Dec 2, 2016 - Road and Track

But what's really important is the new interior, mostly because the current Fiesta's cabin couldn't be further from the best in the segment. Ernst Reim, Ford Europe's Chief of Interior Design says the new Fiesta's interior "creates a unique story." I'll let him try to explain what he means by that:

2017 Ford Fiesta in-depth first look (Video)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFny0bwaE0

[video=youtube;ObFny0bwaE0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObFny0bwaE0[/video]