Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Federal 595 evo

OP
Original J-Pat
Thread Starter #41
Yeah, I also noticed immediately after pulling away from the shop.
I've read on 500 abarth forums that these have a bit of a softer sidewall, perhaps that has something to do with it.
Either way, I'm glad that it seems to be the tires rather than my car!
Yea true I wonder if any of the other Federal Tires have stiffer sidewalls.

Looking at the specs of the tires, the 595 Evo's have an 8.5 section width and a 7.8 tread width whereas the stock Potenzas had 8.4 and 7.6 respectively. I would think that putting the lager tire on the same size wheel would have some of the unstable characteristics you mentioned LaserWhisperer.

I may look into the RS-R's in 215/40, or just actually doing what I really wanted and getting 16's and 205/50's. Too many choices, not enough $$$

neeqness

1000 Post Club
It could be an alignment issue. I have the SS595s and after install I had the same problem. At first I thought it was a balancing issue, but after going back to tire shop and still basically retaining the same problem I had a realignment done and it resolved it.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yea true I wonder if any of the other Federal Tires have stiffer sidewalls.
I am HOPING that the RS-Rs and RS-RRs DO have more autocross/road course oriented side walls to go along with their stickier compounds, despite their narrower tread widths, since it is now between one of those (after hearing this about the Evos), and the exorbitantly priced Star Specs in 215/40-17 for my 17x8s.

OP
Original J-Pat
Thread Starter #48
I am HOPING that the RS-Rs and RS-RRs DO have more autocross/road course oriented side walls to go along with their stickier compounds, despite their narrower tread widths, since it is now between one of those (after hearing this about the Evos), and the exorbitantly priced Star Specs in 215/40-17 for my 17x8s.
You might be able to get RS-R's for cheap. I almost pulled the trigger on some when I was searching for tires because they discounted them to make room for the RS-RR's.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You might be able to get RS-R's for cheap. I almost pulled the trigger on some when I was searching for tires because they discounted them to make room for the RS-RR's.
I am going to directly ask onlinetires.com when I either call, or email them (to place an order) for a DEFINITIVE/ABSOLUTE answer as to whether or not the RS-Rs are really being discontinued, and totally replaced by the RS-RRs, without still being available at the same time going forward! ;)

Looking at the specs of the tires, the 595 Evo's have an 8.5 section width and a 7.8 tread width whereas the stock Potenzas had 8.4 and 7.6 respectively. I would think that putting the lager tire on the same size wheel would have some of the unstable characteristics you mentioned LaserWhisperer.

I may look into the RS-R's in 215/40, or just actually doing what I really wanted and getting 16's and 205/50's. Too many choices, not enough $$$
Get the 205/50's, I love my RE-71R's in this size on 16" TD Pro Race 1.2's!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The RE71Rs are some of the NARROWEST tread width tires on the planet, in any given section width.

I guess that B-stone feels they (more than) make up in gumball compound, and 'stretch' on the same width wheel, anything they lose in tread width? [dunno]

Looking at their specs compared to others, they are 8.4 SW and 7.2 TW in 205/50. For comparison, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are 8.4 and 7.1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 are 8.4 and 7, BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp 2 are 8.4 and 8.3 (known to run wide), B-stone Potenza RE760 Sports are 8.4 and 7.3, Federal 595 Evo are 8.4 and 7.2 and the 959 RDR is 8.3 and 7.2.

It seems that they run pretty comparable in this size anyways...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Looking at their specs compared to others, they are 8.4 SW and 7.2 TW in 205/50. For comparison, Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 are 8.4 and 7.1, Dunlop Direzza DZ102 are 8.4 and 7, BFGoodrich GForce Sport Comp 2 are 8.4 and 8.3 (known to run wide), B-stone Potenza RE760 Sports are 8.4 and 7.3, Federal 595 Evo are 8.4 and 7.2 and the 959 RDR is 8.3 and 7.2.

It seems that they run pretty comparable in this size anyways...
True, but I was comparing them to other 200 tread wear donuts, not the pure street, 300-550 tread wear rubber out there.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Fair enough. Apples to apples and all.

I won't go on my rant then about sidewall markings vs real world sizes of tires...lol
I hear ya on that, as some 215/40-17's side wall heights look a lot more like 215/45s, whereas others look more like a 215/35.
It all comes down to the tire's OVERALL diameter to determine this, as some are as much as .4" different in EITHER direction! [mad]

WHY can't we STANDARDIZE tire company peeps?!?!?!?

I hear ya on that, as some 215/40-17's side wall heights look a lot more like 215/45s, whereas others look more like a 215/35.
It all comes down to the tire's OVERALL diameter to determine this, as some are as much as .4" different in EITHER direction! [mad]

WHY can't we STANDARDIZE tire company peeps?!?!?!?

I posted this in another thread, but don't know if you saw it. All the info on tire sizes is from Tire Rack or the manufacturer website. Obviously not an all-inclusive list, but seems to be the most common sizes and tires I see talked about on the forum. The other sheet on the bottom allows you to change the tire size on your car (in green, top right of the sheet) and see how it affects your MPH in each gear at a given RPM.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lNm5nwFZtdb2tKckZ3b3B4U1U