Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Raindog's Sometimes Things Get out of Hand Build

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You kept the factory cold side charge pipe, or am I seeing that wrong?

(NOTHING AT ALL wrong with that, I'm just curious. ;) )

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #63
Yup, factory cold side. The grill is killing me, I ruined the first one being a bit too heavy handed with the dremel. This one I just slapped on without attempting to open it up.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
You kept the factory cold side charge pipe, or am I seeing that wrong?

(NOTHING AT ALL wrong with that, I'm just curious. ;) )
I run 32-34psi through my factory cold side piping and the hot side silicone and haven't once blown a pipe off, or open. It's very reliable stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I run 32-34psi through my factory cold side piping and the hot side silicone and haven't once blown a pipe off, or open. It's very reliable stuff.
I KNOW, and was just curious, that's why I asked. [wink]

BOTH of you have convinced me NOT to waste my coin on an aftermarket cold side pipe, and only to maybe consider the hot side option. [thumb]

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #66
We started my tune last night. The initial base tune was sluggish and was throwing codes but after some digging Russ figured out that it was set up for a 3.5 bar map sensor and I'm still on the stock map. He revised the base and sent me out to log a third gear pull from 2k-5k. Success, it felt much better... no codes and perfect idle.

With the next revision I was told to log a third gear pull from 2k-7400. That was intense and just a little frightening. By 3500 in a third gear roll on it's fighting for traction and the steering is getting really light and sketchy, on the big end it just feels like an enormous push.

Russ said at this point after some calculation in VDyno that hp was probably between 310 and 320 but he wanted to see if he could get a bit more torque out of it. Another revision and I went back out for another pull. Fucking insane, at this point I'm wishing that I had installed the locking differential before we started. Managed to keep it between the ditches and sent the logs off.

We wrapped up tuning for the night after that, though I still have some datalogging to do and there might be some minor tweaks. Next up will be an e45 tune and installing the diff.

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
Uh... locking differential or limited slip differential??

'Cause a locked differential would make street driving pretty much impossible.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #69
Locker, LSD, positive traction differential. Semantic minutia, and just for that I'm going to weld my spider gears together.

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #74
Jeez, this thing is an animal. I can't wait to see what it feels like on e45.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #75
Ahh, clean again. A word about the TTR mounts and Federal 595 RS-R's, I'll start with the mounts, installed them last weekend while the weather was less than ideal and didn't get a chance to mess with the car until Saturday afternoon. Upon startup I was thinking, what the hell have I done. Vibration at idle was pretty bad and under 10mph it felt as if I was driving over small rumble strips but once out on the road the benefits became clear. Response was instantaneous and it just felt tight, they have broken in a bit since then and will likely become a bit more livable as time goes on. As for the Federal, the car hooks in third gear now(I should mention I'm still on base ethanol tune) and doesn't feel like you've been kicked down the road on a rollerskate the front wheels are coming off of, that's good. Turn in is also more precise and the level of grip in the curves is impressive. I'm well pleased with these tires, particularly considering the price.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Thanks for the reviews! [thumb]

I wonder if the cp-e side mounts coming out soon are going to be as high a durometer rating as those TTR mounts, and if they too will 'break-in' over time.
I got 'used to' any extra NVH from the cp-e RMM, so I'm guessing that I can do the same for their other mounts. ;)

Thanks also for the RS-R review, as I plan to get either those, or the RS-RRs (with the harder compound, more 'streetable', Evos as a third, wider tread width, choice).
GREAT to hear that they are impressive in their grip and response. [:)]

One question though; are yours branded 140 tread wear, or 200 tread wear right on the actual tire's side wall??

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #77
I added the Cobb rmm a couple hundred miles in and didn't really feel any added vibration, tying in the front two adds a lot of vibration. If you're sensitive to it or if this is your daily I would weigh it carefully.

The RS-R's are 140 treadware, I believe the RR's are 200. Can't speak for the latter but I'll run the RS-R's from now on, they are phenomenal.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS for those RS-R pics, both the stack AND on the car! [twothumb]

It's funny that Federal did not change the tread wear listings on the RS-RRs to 200 yet on their site, they still have them shown as 140, just like the RS-Rs.

Your 527s are 7.5" wide correct?

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #79
THANKS for those RS-R pics, both the stack AND on the car! [twothumb]

It's funny that Federal did not change the tread wear listings on the RS-RRs to 200 yet on their site, they still have them shown as 140, just like the RS-Rs.

Your 527s are 7.5" wide correct?
Sure thing, yeah they're 7.5"

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #80
Had a chance to take the squirrel out today after what seemed like a month of rain. I had added hub centric rings and dropped the pressure in the feds five pounds to 30 hoping to quell some of the top end wandering I get at full boost.

No luck there, guess I'm just going to have to get used to it and perhaps add extra "oh shit" handles for passengers.

I'm still on the base E45 tune, Russ sent me the first revision but we have to get around to flashing the auxiliary before I can load it. The weather has been dreadful and other obligations have gotten in the way but perhaps we can get it done in the coming week.

Either way, the car is a bloody animal as it stands. It strains at the leash mid throttle and goes completely mental at full tip in. The federals have their work cut out for them now, when the tune is complete they will likely be sorely outmatched.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk