Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Snow tires?

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
How do any of these perform in the snow? Say 2-6 inches? I'm tired of getting stuck in this crap.

How do any of these perform in the snow? Say 2-6 inches? I'm tired of getting stuck in this crap.
Well if you are on stock summer tires or even the optional all seasons, then night and day. I ran my FoST through the worse winter in ages where I woke up every sunday-Monday to two feet+ of snow with out an issue. The only real problem becomes ground clearance, or shear ice where you still have to be careful.

I pikes or altimaxes will chew through accumulated snow better than an xice or hakkapaletta.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I pikes or altimaxes will chew through accumulated snow better than an xice or hakkapaletta.
That depends on WHICH Nokian one chooses. [wink]

But, YES, the Altimax Arctics are one great tire, besides being less coin than most others (I just wish that they made more sizes, like a 195/50-16 for example [:(] ).

GAbOS

As some others here, I use Firestone Winterforce. The tread pattern is very aggressive and works very well in thick snow.

That depends on WHICH Nokian one chooses. [wink]
That's why I specified Hakkas. Their Nordman is the only one that would hold a candle to an iPike or Altimax in the deep snow. That style tread pattern is the key. Anything else generally has too much surface area for increased ice traction, but sacrifices deep snow clearing, unless you're looking at the Winterforce which also has a very paddle style design to it which helps in snow.

This isn't my first rodeo.

Driven Dunlop Winter sport 5's on a bimmer, not enough dry grip for my liking, also not very communicative, very good wet grip though. Now I'm running Pirelli Sottozero 3's in the fist and even when it was 10 degrees celcius (50F) they perform very well in the dry. I've been told they are awesome on snow, sludge and in the wet as well. They aren't pure winter tires for when there is snow and ice all day long, but they can cope with alot of different conditions very well, unless you're talking about extremes like -15 celcius of +20 celcius.

GAbOS

That's why I specified Hakkas. Their Nordman is the only one that would hold a candle to an iPike or Altimax in the deep snow. That style tread pattern is the key. Anything else generally has too much surface area for increased ice traction, but sacrifices deep snow clearing, unless you're looking at the Winterforce which also has a very paddle style design to it which helps in snow.

This isn't my first rodeo.
The Winterforces have been amazing for me. This will be my second set. They are also a very popular choice in my area for cheap RallyX tires.

I bought the wheel and tire Package from Tire Rack which was the 15X6 47.5mm Offset Black Steel wheels, Mounted and balanced through mail for "Free" all in the price I think.....Michelin XIce-XI3's tires, Total amount paid was around $670.