Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Will the taillights from an older fiesta work on 2016 FiST?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #21
Get a long 3/8 drive 5m allen with a ball socket, also get a stubby 3/8 drive allen. Problem with the ball socket is it doesn't want to grab and just spins. I ended up jacking up the front end on both sides and removing the baffled charge pipe. I used a swivel adapter and two 6" extensions. I also used the stubby allen socket with a small shorty ratchet. I could probably do it again in a half hour as apposed to the 2 1/2 I spent on it today. Once you figure how to remove it, reinstall is 5 minutes Hahaha.

It looked so easy online. Not that it's hard but wow space is very limited. Luckily I didn't have much going on today.

Oh a second set of hands would be the best too. Luckily my father in law was able to lend me hand, it was his garage.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #22
Quick pics of the connector. Pull the white part out of the plug to access the release tabs for the wires.

I have a 2016 your results may vary.

Top left RED
Top middle PURPLE
Top right YELLOW

Bottom left BLUE
Bottom right GREEN

This is how it worked for me, I didn't think to grab a before picture of the plug.

Looks like it went Green, Blue, Red top left to right
Yellow, Purple, Blank bottom left to right.

So they all need to be moved.

Maybe when I get the new ones I'll take better pictures, but it really isn't too difficult.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #24
Any picture of the car with new tails?
Not yet. I only bought one used one on eBay to see if I could get it to work. Unfortunately it is scratched up, more than I expected, so I don't want to use it. Hopefully I'll have brand new ones by next weekend.

NDELUCE

So I wonder, since you got stock 13s to work on the 16, id assume you may be able to get aftermarket 13s to work on the 16 as well?? I just bought a 16 Molten Orange FiSt and really liked these tails from Spec D but it says 11-13. All hope was lost until i saw a glimmer of hope in your post here.

Heres a link: http://www.protuninglab.com/lt-fst1...ooglepepla&utm_medium=adwords&id=140849294458

[hihi]

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #26
Yes I believe there is at least one person on here running those taillights. I think they have to be rewired in a similar way to how I did it but I don't know for sure.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #28
The drivers side tail light arrived today. I was able to polish up the other one that I got super cheap. Total for both tail lights and led reverse bulbs was $124 shipped.

They work great and look even better in my opinion. I'll try to get a video up tonight. Here is a quick very dirty car picture.

Spaceman_Spiff

The drivers side tail light arrived today. I was able to polish up the other one that I got super cheap. Total for both tail lights and led reverse bulbs was $124 shipped.

They work great and look even better in my opinion. I'll try to get a video up tonight. Here is a quick very dirty car picture.

Nice. Can you get a partial side shot so we can see the side and back at the same time?

Sent from my Spaceship

Spaceman_Spiff

Quick pics of the connector. Pull the white part out of the plug to access the release tabs for the wires.

I have a 2016 your results may vary.

Top left RED
Top middle PURPLE
Top right YELLOW

Bottom left BLUE
Bottom right GREEN

This is how it worked for me, I didn't think to grab a before picture of the plug.

Looks like it went Green, Blue, Red top left to right
Yellow, Purple, Blank bottom left to right.

So they all need to be moved.

Maybe when I get the new ones I'll take better pictures, but it really isn't too difficult.
Just to be clear, you were able to get the 11-13 lights to work using the existing connector from your 2016 by rearranging the wire locations? So this can be done with only obtaining the tail light housings, no extra connectors required?

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #33
You need the bulb wiring harness for the 11-13 tail light as well. The 16 harness doesn't fit, the reverse light is different and even though the brake and turn signal bulbs are the same, the bulb sockets are different.

Rearrange the pins on the 11-13 wiring harness. It is the same plug on the car side which is nice and makes this possible without cutting.

Edit: bought new led reverse lights, they are the same size. All bulbs are the same, problem was the hole that the bulb goes into on the 2013 taillight was smaller and my led bulb wouldn't fit.

New led bulbs are Phillips, old ones that won't fit are Sylvania zevo from O'Reilly.

Last edited:
I went the opposite way Swapped out with a guy both sets installed in less than 40 minutes Easy job dunno what all the fuss is about lol And all the bulbs fit All my LEDS fit in both types.

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #35
I went the opposite way Swapped out with a guy both sets installed in less than 40 minutes Easy job dunno what all the fuss is about lol And all the bulbs fit All my LEDS fit in both types.
You just swapped the lights and not the harness?

I tried getting my 2016 harness to work on the 2013 tail light and it wouldn't fit. All the bulbs are the same but it seemed the bulb sockets were different where they clip into the light.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Thank you for this writeup on how to rearrange the pins, it saved me a boat load of time! I acquired some junkyard 2011 Fiesta tail lights and they worked great on my 2016 FiST. Pictures below including the way the wires were originally oriented in the 2011 Fiesta harness for those interested:

OP
DangerMouse

DangerMouse

Thread Starter #40
They look great on white! Thanks for adding the harness pics.