Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Convince me...185/60/15 or 195/60/15 winters

So I've settled on the Nokian WR-G3 and picked up steelies w/TPMS for $200 off craigslist.

Are 195's worth it for the extra sidewall/better ride/wider contact patch or should I just stick with 185's?

185 keeps the stock rolling diameter. Also the narrow footprint does better in snow/ice. I'd say ride quality is going to be more decided on the tire for the little amount that changes.

Zissou

I have some 195/60r15 Pirelli P4's as my winter tire on some steelies from an old Focus. I got I enjoy the extra cushioning, but I bought them essentially just because they were a really good deal on closeout; cheaper than the 185's I found. The difference in total diameter should theoretically only be 12 mm. I've had no problems with the 195/60's.

I don't have tpms sensors, but then again the wheels were free. I just suffer the warning light on long trips. The wheels were ugly so I plasti dipped them purple.

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
I'd do 185. I have 195 and thing rides like a boat. I hate feeling of snows lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You need a snow/winter setup in southern Florida, or do you live somewhere else now, or travel far north, etc.? [dunno]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
narrow is better for winter. You get more pounds per square inch with a narrow tire, so you get better bite in the snow and ice. The force is more concentrated. A wider tire spreads the load out more and the car tends to "float" over the snow. Here is a great example, if you are standing on ice and it starts to crack, do you A) stand on one foot or B) lay down flat on the ice? B of course, you are spreading your weight over a larger area. When it comes to snow and ice traction for tires, you want the opposite; the most force concentrated in the smallest area. In the summer you want the widest tire and opposite for the winter.

Zissou

I laughed out loud when I read this. What color is your car?

Nevermind, I saw it on your profile.

Sent using Tapatalk
This is pre mods and window tint and when the purple was the brightest. It's dimmed down a little now entering its 3rd winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I just chuckled to myself when you first mentioned it, but I legit LOLed at the pictures. Do you have no shame, sir?!

But to OP's question, I run 195/55/R16 for winter and I think it's ideal for a winter where you don't get a ton of snow, but like to have peace of mind when you do get it. Not sure if 195/60 would be too soft, but it very well could be. If you get a lot of snow and occasional ice, then I would say 185/60 for the reasons Bryan noted.

Zissou

I'll bet those lavender hoops go over REAL WELL with all them coal rollin' bro good ol' boys down thar! [histerical]
haha well Charlottesville is a college town and doesn't have as many of those coal rolling bros. Just fratty bros haha. But as soon as I get outside of town, yup - coal rolling bros.
I consider my wheels rather rebellious lol

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
haha well Charlottesville is a college town and doesn't have as many of those coal rolling bros. Just fratty bros haha. But as soon as I get outside of town, yup - coal rolling bros.
I consider my wheels rather rebellious lol
I forgot to say that it IS cool that you rebel like that, and have the 'cojones' to roll on those things! [thumb]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
This is pre mods and window tint and when the purple was the brightest. It's dimmed down a little now entering its 3rd winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol, I thought you were joking!

Sent using Tapatalk