Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Trade in from Civic SI 2012?

Right now thinking of whether or not I should trade in my Civic SI 2012 for a new FiST. It only has 50k miles and I've been thinking about modding it but modding N/A doesn't seem as fun compared to a Turbo set up. I would go turbo on the Civic but it seems pricey upfront and I would get it installed by someone else which isn't what I want to do. I would like to do modifications by myself and the cheap N/A modifications for the civic seems to end pretty fast or aren't worth it compared to installing a turbo.

The real big thing I would miss from my civic is the room it has. I don't drive people around too much but it is nice to have rear leg room (no I don't really want FoST). First time posting to car forums, let me know what you guys think! Is it worth it?

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
Have you had a chance to test drive the FiST yet? The Fiesta is actually fairly roomy for even tall adults up front.

OP
G
Thread Starter #3
I have driven it, its not the front im worried about its the back seats.

Also, I didn't get to drive it without the dealer so I didn't get the true feel of it.

Give the Fiesta ST a test drive. I like my Hondas as well and used to own a highly modified 2004 Civic Si. The Fiesta checks many of the boxes that car did for me. Not sure how you'll feel about the FiST in comparison to your 2012 Si, but it's a really fun car. Additionally, the Civic Si tends to hold its value. So I'd sell it via private party, as you'll get way more for it that way, then use that money as a hefty down payment on the Fiesta.

OP
G
Thread Starter #5
Which one would you say has easier and better gains from mods. For the Civic I don't want to do a bunch of N/A mods and say I should of gone turbo and waste all those parts.

2006ser

Get the fist if you don't plan on reselling soon. It's lighter, fun to drive and good on gas

Which one would you say has easier and better gains from mods. For the Civic I don't want to do a bunch of N/A mods and say I should of gone turbo and waste all those parts.
I don't know much about the 2012 Civic Si platform. But there's only so far you can go with doing K-Pro and basic bolt ons. If you want power beyond what that yields you, you'll have to do some soul searching to decide whether to build the motor or go forced induction.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Get the fist if you don't plan on reselling soon. It's lighter, fun to drive and good on gas
Agree 100% with this, in owned some fun cars and have driven many other sports cars. This car has a feel that only comes in a car this size (it's light) and once you get to modding. Hybrid turbo+ Bpu's and you'd be blowing the doors off many street cars and not to mention how well this thing can handle!!

I say go for it, I was looking at a brand new so sedan before I bought this and I have zero regrets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Thread Starter #10
How tall are you? I'm 5'11" 1/2 and theres no leg room behind me
I'm like 5'10" so I know it won't be a problem for me. I do 4 1/2 hr trips once and awhile and being able to take 4 people without bitching would be nice.

I guess another question that I got is there mods you can do that will support forced induction? Like can you still use a CAI and downpipe that you buy before it? Also would it be a bad idea to go forced induction later with more miles? I wouldn't mind a rebuild if I have to. Just sucks it cost so much up front.

I imagine the FiST is nicer cause there are a lot more "cheaper" mods you can do for under $1k.

EDIT:
sorry, i'll move these performance questions to a different forum/site.

FistSt215

I'm like 5'10" so I know it won't be a problem for me. I do 4 1/2 hr trips once and awhile and being able to take 4 people without bitching would be nice.

I guess another question that I got is there mods you can do that will support forced induction? Like can you still use a CAI and downpipe that you buy before it? Also would it be a bad idea to go forced induction later with more miles? I wouldn't mind a rebuild if I have to. Just sucks it cost so much up front.
The

I imagine the FiST is nicer cause there are a lot more "cheaper" mods you can do for under $1k.

EDIT:
They will definitely bitch lol . I assume the forced induction questions are bout the Si. Because the fist is turbocharged and already force induction lol

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
How tall are you? I'm 5'11" 1/2 and theres no leg room behind me

I kind of call bs on this as I'm same height and haul kids around in mine all the time. Not a ton of room but some. Unless your G riding it or something.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club

EDIT:
Nah ask all performance questions here lol, isn't that what makes us men!

And I agree with the poster before me, room is not an issue but my wife complains but that's because her car is a huge on the inside... women

OP
G
Thread Starter #14
Nah ask all performance questions here lol, isn't that what makes us men!

And I agree with the poster before me, room is not an issue but my wife complains but that's because her car is a huge on the inside... women

Yeah, people will find a way to bitch about any car. So here is what I'm thinking... The civic SI will cost like $7k up front (in cash) to go the turbo root, which is the proper way to do it. On top of all that the civic will only gain miles as I wait and that only scares me putting a turbo on it (rebuild). I would go supercharger because it's cheaper but i'll lose a lot of future opportunity.

On the FiST sides of things, I wouldn't be spending cash up front and I would want to go the new route. Since it already has a turbo the mods are a lot more plentiful and have a lot more gains than the civic N/A mods.

I would guess here the difference is go new with a turbo from scratch or risk it with good ol Honda. This will be my DD.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yeah, people will find a way to bitch about any car. So here is what I'm thinking... The civic SI will cost like $7k up front (in cash) to go the turbo root, which is the proper way to do it. On top of all that the civic will only gain miles as I wait and that only scares me putting a turbo on it (rebuild). I would go supercharger because it's cheaper but i'll lose a lot of future opportunity.

On the FiST sides of things, I wouldn't be spending cash up front and I would want to go the new route. Since it already has a turbo the mods are a lot more plentiful and have a lot more gains than the civic N/A mods.

I would guess here the difference is go new with a turbo from scratch or risk it with good ol Honda. This will be my DD.
How wild are you trying to get? Like, what's your goal? If you're on a power hunt, and want to do it for less money, I guess it depends on how you look at it. Sure, you can drop $5k on a Fiesta and have a 380whp car capable of running low 12s/high 11s, but you also have to buy the car. You've already got the Civic...

If you're wanting a new car, I say go for it.

If you're on the hunt, the money spent might not be up front, but the reality is that you're looking at ~$25k vs $7k.

From a purely fun factor, the Fiesta is a lot better. However, coming from someone who owned an 8th generation civic and who has driven an 8th and 9th gen Si, the FiST is lacking in comparison on certain things. The seats in the Civic are much better fitting than the Fiesta's and also more comfortable. Same goes for the ride, ergonomics, shifter feel, trunk space, rear room, visibility.

The Fiesta wins in the fun department. It also has better tech (esp in the 2016 model), better interior styling (IMO), much more low down torque for daily usability which allows for better gear ratios for daily driving, and has more character imo

OP
G
Thread Starter #17
Forgot to add but can't edit previous post for some reason. I hate hearing that the civic si is the least desirable of 9th gen and that Honda admitted they screwed up the si 2012. Can't do anything I guess but mod everything lol.

OP
G
Thread Starter #18
How wild are you trying to get? Like, what's your goal? If you're on a power hunt, and want to do it for less money, I guess it depends on how you look at it. Sure, you can drop $5k on a Fiesta and have a 380whp car capable of running low 12s/high 11s, but you also have to buy the car. You've already got the Civic...

If you're wanting a new car, I say go for it.

If you're on the hunt, the money spent might not be up front, but the reality is that you're looking at ~$25k vs $7k.
Uhhg sorry first time on the forum and it keeps bugging on me and deleting my post instead of editing.

Ok my goal on the civic would be to work up to 250HP then 300HP. I could see myself doing that with bolt on to 250HP (barely) then 300HP with a supercharger since it works with bolt ons.

While on the FiST I can see myself doing bolt ons and waiting to do a turbo swap.

I just want easy and cheap gains. Sadly turbo civic is out of my reach atm.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Uhhg sorry first time on the forum and it keeps bugging on me and deleting my post instead of editing.

Ok my goal on the civic would be to work up to 250HP then 300HP. I could see myself doing that with bolt on to 250HP (barely) then 300HP with a supercharger since it works with bolt ons.

While on the FiST I can see myself doing bolt ons and waiting to do a turbo swap.

I just want easy and cheap gains. Sadly turbo civic is out of my reach atm.
Bolt-ons in the Fiesta will get you 220whp if you're REALLY REALLY lucky. I think the average is about 210-215 on an E85 mix, with GOBS of ridiculous torque. The only must haves to max out the stock turbo are *downpipe, intercooler, E30 fuel and tune, which can all be had brand new for $945.

*Hotly debated here, although physics says otherwise. YMMV.

grnmachine02

Years ago I had a CRX with a gsr swap. I loved that car. One of the big reasons I got a FiST was because it reminded so much of my CRX. Roomier, yes, and more power, but that go kart fun factor. A car that makes you smile every time you drive it is worth a few less inches of rear leg room.

Ford Community Posts