Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

School me on flat foot shifting

grnmachine02

I understand the principle. Keep foot to floor, press clutch, shift, repeat. However, what should I be looking for on the tach? Should it stay at 5k rpm until I release the clutch? It seems to stay just about on the limiter, and according to my data log, it hit 7000 rpm at one point.

I don't think it's a tune issue, I think it's user error. Thanks!

Spaceman_Spiff

I think it has to be enabled with a custom tune, but I'm not positive on that. So you probably ARE hitting your rev limiter. I tried it on mine ONCE and haven't tried again since bouncing it off the rev limiter [bawling]

You should be looking at the road and not the Tach, if you really want to know just log. With that being said it depends what your tune is set at. So if NLS is set at 5900 lets say then when you NLS the revs should drop to this before you go into the next gear.

Either way it should matter too much. My Balt SS had NLS from the factory and all it did was keep the revs off redline as long as you completed the shift in .2 seconds. That's really what you care about just not hitting fuel cut and traction.

Recap, shift at your decided shift point and keep it floored, complete the shift very quickly with out missing or letting out the clutch before the shift is complete.

Also should add you don't need it to be enabled to NLS. This was actually how the Speed3 was advised to be tested for magazines, you just shift earlier to give you self those split seconds with avoiding fuel cut.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #4
I should have said that it is currently enabled in my tune. I'm not really even a fan of flat foot shifting, I was just asked to log a pull while flat shifting to make sure it was working. If I want to flat shift, I'll do it in my megasquirted car, which gives a nice audible backfire when the flat foot is working. I guess I need to figure out what RPM it is set at in my tune.

Also, Thanks for the driving lesson. I never watch the road, I usually drive blindfolded at all times. Had you not just skimmed my original post, you'd see where I said I was logging, and saw on said log that it registered 7000 rpm at one point.

edit:// Sorry for being a complete dick. It's been one of those mornings.

I tried FFS with the Cobb OTS maps and it does work, but not as well as I had hoped. I'm not sure if its the tune or just the way the car is. Basically, I rev right through to just shy of my limiter, and then shift without letting off the gas. If I do a relatively slow shift, the revs will fall to 5k and hold there until I let off the clutch in the next gear. However, I shift fast enough that the revs don't really have a chance to fall down to the pre-set 5k point. This is probably what you're seeing as well. So to test that it really does work, rev to 6k+, press clutch without lifting gas, and just hold like that without going into the next gear to see if your revs will fall all the way down to idle or hang at your pre-set point.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #8
I'll give that a shot this evening. I thought about that yesterday, but seeing as I'd been doing logs back and forth I decided to not test my luck and headed home.

I should have said that it is currently enabled in my tune. I'm not really even a fan of flat foot shifting, I was just asked to log a pull while flat shifting to make sure it was working. If I want to flat shift, I'll do it in my megasquirted car, which gives a nice audible backfire when the flat foot is working. I guess I need to figure out what RPM it is set at in my tune.

Also, Thanks for the driving lesson. I never watch the road, I usually drive blindfolded at all times. Had you not just skimmed my original post, you'd see where I said I was logging, and saw on said log that it registered 7000 rpm at one point.

edit:// Sorry for being a complete dick. It's been one of those mornings.
Don't worry I understand, I'm a Svc manager so I expected that bit of sarcasm back lol. Plus I was just told I will be in charge of all Ford GT svc in the area, so I'm in a very excited mood.

I'm with every one as well when it comes to FFS. No real point on the road but it is fun and our cars aren't exactly the fastest so it can add to the driving experience for those special occasions when the highway is clear ahead when your merging.

Our cars don't have the most responsive engines and if your quick chances are you won't be hitting the designated RPM's. You can try what was stated and see if it works but again the main principle of FFS is to keep boost and if your tires can take it be as quick as you can, FFS enabled or not, if the vehicle is keeping boost and your not hitting the limiter, while not breaking traction win win. I honestly don't think my RPMS drop more then 300 before my shift is completed when I FFS but again it's truly irrelevant unless you are having issues with the above statements.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #10
Don't worry I understand, I'm a Svc manager so I expected that bit of sarcasm back lol. Plus I was just told I will be in charge of all Ford GT svc in the area, so I'm in a very excited mood.

I'm with every one as well when it comes to FFS. No real point on the road but it is fun and our cars aren't exactly the fastest so it can add to the driving experience for those special occasions when the highway is clear ahead when your merging.

Our cars don't have the most responsive engines and if your quick chances are you won't be hitting the designated RPM's. You can try what was stated and see if it works but again the main principle of FFS is to keep boost and if your tires can take it be as quick as you can, FFS enabled or not, if the vehicle is keeping boost and your not hitting the limiter, while not breaking traction win win. I honestly don't think my RPMS drop more then 300 before my shift is completed when I FFS but again it's truly irrelevant unless you are having issues with the above statements.
Service manager, eh? I feel your pain. I'm the parts and shipping/ receiving manager at a small engine dealer. It's plow season, and I'm running around like a chicken with my head cut off. Funny thing is, I got into this industry after leaving Volvo as a tech because I thought it'd be less stressful. I was wrong lol.

Thanks for all the info on FFS. It's really just a novelty to me. I'll try it one more time this evening. If it works, great, if not, meh. This'll probably be the last time I'd use it anyhow.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Unless you are road racing or autocrossing, I don't really see the point in FFS.
+1, but also for drag racing/going for 1/4, or 1/8th mile times.

I would rather try to control this myself, and SAVE my very expensive to replace; clutch, gearbox, whole transaxle, or at the very least, synchros/blocker rings. ;)