Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Heater Core Leak; stock RMM to blame?

Car is 7 months old. I noticed a few months ago the smell of coolant when starting the car in the morning. Took it to the dealer and they say I need a new heater core. I have read on the internet that worn engine mounts allow the engine to move more than normal which can damage the heater core connections. Although I don't have worn mounts, I still have the stock RMM which is known for allowing a lot of engine movement and I'm wondering if this may have contributed to the heater core failing. Anyone else have a similar experience?

Looking at the design I'm going to say that it's extremely unlikely that stock mounts are responsible for this failure. We can see from the attached pictures that the heater cores integrated solid hoses are secured firmly to the firewall before transitioning to flexible hose exclusively in the engine bay. Did you ask where the leak was actually coming from or were you able to inspect the part for the damage?

Attachments

OP
ChuckL
Thread Starter #3
Looking at the design I'm going to say that it's extremely unlikely that stock mounts are responsible for this failure. We can see from the attached pictures that the heater cores integrated solid hoses are secured firmly to the firewall before transitioning to flexible hose exclusively in the engine bay. Did you ask where the leak was actually coming from or were you able to inspect the part for the damage?
Thanks for replying. I did ask, but got the car back yesterday and was given an excuse about the service tech not knowing EXACTLY where it was leaking. I put the Cobb flash tune back on, which leads to another question. I don't remember how much steering resistance the car has when at a complete stop. There's currently ZERO resistance in the steering wheel when I move it left/right, as if there's too much steering assistance. I can literally turn the steering wheel with one finger. However, when driving, it feels exactly how I remember it. I guess I can remove the flash and see if changes.