Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question From a Distressed Youngin...

Hi All,

I'm freaking out right now. [facepalm] , so I desperately need some professional advice...
I bought my FiST used with 11k miles just a few weeks ago with no issues at all. Because it was sold to the dealer, they have no clue about what kind of modifications it has. I believe it has aftermarket coil-overs. The ride height is definitely lower than stock and it is very stiff, but I don't know if it drives any different considering I haven't driven any stock ones.
Last night I was driving home when local roadwork gave me quite a big headache. I came across a part of the road where they removed all of the asphalt, causing the parts of the road that were still paved to be raised up a good 6-7 inches. I slowed down to around 25 mph to be safe, but it wasn't enough. All of a sudden I hit the edge of the paved road HARD. Hard enough to the point my struts hit their top hats and the car lifted off the ground a couple inches. Never in a car had I felt such a huge bump. I immediately pulled over to check for the inevitable damage, but to my surprise none was visible. None of my tires popped and there are no visible cracks. Tire pressures after one day are normal.

The problem arises when I accelerate in 2nd and 3rd gear, and the car pulls slightly to the right. When taking your hands off the wheel, it turns right about 30 degrees from center, and I have to use a good amount of force to keep it straight.
Cruising and coasting do not cause the wheel to move, only under medium to hard acceleration. I have no idea what the problem may be, damaged tie rods/control arm? Trying to figure it our before I have to take it in.

I apologize in advance for writing such a huge post, I am in fact new to this.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I think bent suspension sounds like the culprit. Take it to a shop and see what the damages are going to be. You may want to restore it to factory parts. Life lesson here....never buy a used car without having it checked out unless you are very familiar with the model. Sounds like somebody modified it then dumped it is as not drivable on the streets. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!

OP
HunterLayne
Thread Starter #4
I think bent suspension sounds like the culprit. Take it to a shop and see what the damages are going to be. You may want to restore it to factory parts. Life lesson here....never buy a used car without having it checked out unless you are very familiar with the model. Sounds like somebody modified it then dumped it is as not drivable on the streets. Let us know how it turns out. Good Luck!
I see what you mean. Up here in Cincinnati the roads are either really good or really terrible, but overall I think it deals with it pretty well. Ill probably take it in tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I think the stock FIST is a good compromise in ride height and sidewall compliance. Any lower or stiffer and it would not be a comfortable ride on our terrible TN roads either. I think I will keep mine stock. I use it as a driver....not to track or autoX it so more ultimate grip is not needed to run the TOTD or the TN/NC backroads and I wimp out before the FIST does these days. That is what 65 years will do to you....you mellow out! 40 years ago I would have been doing Rallies and AutoX with a modified Fist. Thankfully I lived through my testosterone overload years. But back then pulling anything over .8G's was a supercar and the Fist's acceleration with the MP-215 installed would eat a more than a few of my days "muscle cars" lunch! Wonderful car!! I love my Fifi......many smiles per gallon. Hope this does not cost you a fortune.

OP
HunterLayne
Thread Starter #6
This is the passenger side of the car. I don't see anything major, maybe somebody else can spot something? These were the only pictures I could take at the moment (couldn't get the left side). Also, I believe there are only aftermarket springs in the car, no? The shocks look pretty stock to me.

http://imgur.com/a/7AmA7

OP
HunterLayne
Thread Starter #8
Yep, those look to be it. Same ride height drop and all, thanks.

LaserWhisperer

They are definitely Vogtland, you can see it printed on the actual springs. I had read another post on here recently regarding someone's build. They purchased the Vogtland springs, and upon install noticed there were some clearance issues. Looks like you may be experiencing a similar issue

OP
HunterLayne
Thread Starter #10
They are definitely Vogtland, you can see it printed on the actual springs. I had read another post on here recently regarding someone's build. They purchased the Vogtland springs, and upon install noticed there were some clearance issues. Looks like you may be experiencing a similar issue
Do you have the link to that build?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Seems to me the springs lower the ride height by 25MM or 1 inch as I read, so with the stock shocks you lose 1 inch of travel.......I think this is the problem. The shock bottomed out on the severe bump. Seems like the old school lowering trick by cutting out a coil on stock springs......then wondering what the loud WHAM! sound is hitting a rut in the road. To do this right you need both springs and shocks designed for the shorter travel. Do yourself a favor.....put the stock springs back in or turn it over to a competent shop to sort it all out.

Butterybunz

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your car's fine and it's in your head. Unless your car is pulling in the opposite direction of how roads are built to ever so slightly slant to one side. Most shops offer free alignment checks, that's a good place to start.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
It is also possible that the person did not get an alignment check once the springs where installed. That said easy switch back to stock. Likely could even swap the springs with someone for a stock set.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
There have been at least two threads about the clearance issues with those springs. It was resolved by loosening everything and pulling the spring to the outer side, away from the inner fender liner before tightening it all back up. You might get away with just letting the wheel hang while pulling on the spring...

Also noticed curbage on the inner rim of the wheel in the second pic. Possibly where the tire folded completely upon impact, allowing contact to the wheel. If that's the case, I wouldn't rule out a bent wheel.

As everyone has said...alignment shop. Have them balance all the wheels as well.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
A random note for the OP - if you're changing out your springs to the stock units and wish to have a bit softer ride over the washboard /potholes/crappy roads etc and can deal with a bit more body roll in corners then I would suggest the Koni SRT-T shocks.

When combined with the stock springs, the Koni SRT-T shocks provide a compliant ride over gravel and the driving experience for my back is much improved. With the stock shocks it was just too jarring.

Good luck with the fix - I know you'll love the car when it's sorted.

A random note for the OP - if you're changing out your springs to the stock units and wish to have a bit softer ride over the washboard /potholes/crappy roads etc and can deal with a bit more body roll in corners then I would suggest the Koni SRT-T shocks.

When combined with the stock springs, the Koni SRT-T shocks provide a compliant ride over gravel and the driving experience for my back is much improved. With the stock shocks it was just too jarring.

Good luck with the fix - I know you'll love the car when it's sorted.

Now if I can find the magical/unicorn combination of slightly lowered but softer ride than stock! (this was achievable with my 07 WRX)

Now if I can find the magical/unicorn combination of slightly lowered but softer ride than stock! (this was achievable with my 07 WRX)
I would suggest ST Suspension Coilovers. While i dont have these on my FiST i do have these on my BRZ. It's dropped 1.5" and it feels as good if not a bit better than stock. I plan on getting these for my FiST in the near future.

I am very happy with my Mountune sport springs. Just enough drop to close up the wheel gap under the fender and a smoothed out ride with progressive springs. My .02