Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Lowering - How Much Before Tire Rub?

I've just ordered a set of coilovers for my FiST and I'm wondering how much I could lower the car without running into tire rub issues. I'm a bit leery of rubbing after an experience I had with my first set of replacement tires: with passengers in the rear, the fender liner was literally in constant contact with the tire. Needless to say, those got immediately replaced with a smaller set. So those are the scenarios I am considering: transporting humans in the back seat and other daily driver concerns. I'm currently running a 215/40/16 tire. Could anyone provide a bit of insight? Apologies if this info is already posted and I simply missed it.

V_2

I'm pretty low on BC coilovers and running 205/45-16 BFG tires that are 23.26" diameter. Also have 10mm spacers all around. I don't have any rubbing issues except when I have the wheels cocked pretty far in a tight high speed corner. But I also have my dampers set very soft. Ford did a great job of manufacturing the fenders, imo. They don't have massive lips and require rolling like most cars do.

I don't remember how much exactly I'm lowered, but here's a good shot
1342988.jpg

And then a shot of the car in a tight corner
1342984.jpg

OP
srirachapenguin
Thread Starter #3
I'm loving the way the car looks! I'd agree that it's sitting pretty low. Thanks for the info. So do you not experience any rub when hitting large bumps, carrying rear seat passengers, etc?

Siestarider

Any chance to post your FTG measurements front and rear? With the wheel diameter you posted we can adjust for that.

Those pics look like some a pro took of me at the Dragon. I bought a couple to frame with the speed warning I received a minute or two later.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm on H&R Sport springs which give me a 1 finger gap in the rear and flush fitment in the front. I do not experience any rubbing, but it's all about the wheels. My Sparco Terra wheels are 16x7 +42 with a 195/50/16 tire.

OP
srirachapenguin
Thread Starter #6
OffTheWall, I'm loving the way your FiST sits. Also, good taste in wheels ;) I'm also on 16" Sparco Terras but I've got 215/40/16 Yokohama S-Drives.

Seeing your rides and hearing how minimal the issues are even at such low stances puts my mind at ease a little bit. Plus, I probably shouldn't be worried anyway since they're coilovers. If I set them too low and they rub, I can simply raise them up until they don't!

V_2

Any chance to post your FTG measurements front and rear? With the wheel diameter you posted we can adjust for that.

Those pics look like some a pro took of me at the Dragon. I bought a couple to frame with the speed warning I received a minute or two later.
Sure, I'll get some measurements next time I'm with the car.

Those pics I posted are also from killboy/129photos. My wife and I went to Gatlinburg in October, so I got a quick dragon run in.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I think you would only need to be concerned if you go beyond the factory wheel width/offset. Even then, you may be able to avoid it with proper alignment and tires.

OP
srirachapenguin
Thread Starter #9
I think you would only need to be concerned if you go beyond the factory wheel width/offset. Even then, you may be able to avoid it with proper alignment and tires.
I think I should be pretty good in that regard. I think this thread has allayed my fears. Now I just have to wait for them to arrive...