Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

New guy thinking about trading a WRX for a FiST - thoughts?

Hey everyone, I am looking for some thoughts and opinions from FiST owners about a potential trade I have in mind.

A bit of background, my last car was a 2008 NC Miata that I absolutely loved, but it was just not practical enough for my day to day. In June I picked up a 2017 WRX that is VERY practical, but doesn't have much of the fun the Miata had. The Miata was fun at any speed, driving around town, on a backroad, or even on a road trip. I should note, I live about a mile and a half from my work and I usually ride my bike(bicycle, not motorcycle), so most of my driving is around running small errands or to go hang out with friends. I try to get out on the weekends as much as possible to go driving on some of the amazing twisty roads we have here in the Bay Area, but I only manage to do so maybe once or twice a month.

Over the past few weeks I've been lusting over any FiST I see for a few reasons. 1 is that they are very cheap to buy and own (especially in relation to my WRX). 2 is that they seem to be very easily and reliably modified, which I something I love to do. I am terrified of modding the engine whatsoever in the WRX due to many of the new FA motors not taking well to even moderate modification and tuning. 3 is the lighter-weight/fun-to-drive nature of the FiST. The Miata was not fast, but it was a ridiculous amount of fun, and I miss that.

With all of that said, I am curious to know if anyone here thinks I'm absolutely nuts to want to trade in the WRX or if some of you think it may be a good idea(and why)?

Do it! Only question is why buy the wrx in the first place, unless you like wasting money on taxes.

Having owned a first gen back in 2002, I am certain that WRX is a great car, especially with the current generation update. I am not sure why you would find it not so fun? The Fiesta ST is the tiniest car I've ever owned, and very affordable to own and maintain, which is where the advantage lies in giving up the WRX in exchange for the FiST. Unless you can somehow not lose money on your car sale, and don't mind not having AWD when the road condition demands so, then FiST is a good choice. If I were aiming to spend 30k instead of sub-25k in my car purchase, I'd pick the WRX.

p.s. NorCal rains much more often than SoCal, so I'd find the WRX a safer car to have if I were to move back there. :)

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
Definitely don't like wasting money on taxes :p But the way I see it, is I will never see that money again anyways, regardless of whether I sell the car now or in 10 years. Granted, if I keep the car for 10 years then I am getting more of my moneys worth for sure.

I did pay below dealer invoice on the car, so if I traded it in I would most likely only really be losing what I paid in taxes. The FiST is also around 8k-10k cheaper than my WRX and cheaper to run (gas/insurance), so in the end it would be money back in my pocket overall (not taking into account long term re-sale value of the WRX vs FiST...)

The WRX is a great car, but the reason I find it not so fun I believe is due to the overall weight, size, and speed of the car. It's fun to drive when your absolutely blasting it through corners on a backroad, but outside of that it feels like a normal sedan that just so happens to have decent power. My former Miata was fun at all speeds, and I wonder if the Fiesta can match that fun and add some utility/practicality.

I've scheduled an extended test drive of a 2014 FiST this afternoon. My connection at the dealer said I could have an hour or two to take the car out and get a good feel for it. I am hoping the longer test drive will once and for all settle if I should get the car or not. If I am smiling ear to ear the entire time, I'll sit down with the dealer afterwords and see what kind of a deal I can get on a 2016/17, if it's only so/so then I'll pass and keep the WRX....at least until the next FiST is released in 2018.

I can tell you that the FiST is incredibly fun, coming from a guy having had a built Evo IX and M3 being my two previous cars.

There's probably 0% financing on the vehicle, which is very helpful. But there may be better offers to the Focus ST as it is being pushed a bit more.

AzNightmare

I've scheduled an extended test drive of a 2014 FiST this afternoon. My connection at the dealer said I could have an hour or two to take the car out and get a good feel for it. I am hoping the longer test drive will once and for all settle if I should get the car or not. If I am smiling ear to ear the entire time, I'll sit down with the dealer afterwords and see what kind of a deal I can get on a 2016/17, if it's only so/so then I'll pass and keep the WRX....at least until the next FiST is released in 2018.
Honestly, this is all that matters right now. I personally wanted the WRX before buying the FiST, but due to my budget, the WRX was way out of my price range. Both are good cars with perks in different areas. Hopefully you'll have a clear answer after your test drive. Good luck.

I came from a MK7 GTI, which i my opinion, is the objectively better car in almost every single way than the FiST. But that being said, the FiST is greater than the sum of it's parts. It has a fun/charming character around it that not many if any cars from this decade have had. The FA20 WRX is also a good car. I've AutoX'd my buddies a bunch and the FA20 WRX is the only WRX I would ever even consider, but like you they were out of my price range and the interior and harsh NVH put me off (ironic since now I'm in the Fiesta). The Fiesta has the "slow car fast" sydrome and it plays out really well. In fact, it feels faster than my MK7 GTI in the pants, but my mind knows that it isn't.

My advice? Go drive them both, weigh the pros and cons, and go with what you want. At the end of the day, it's just a car and you can sell it again if you don't like it with only minor time and money lost.

I had highly modded 07 WRX from 07-09. I really enjoyed that car, but the FiST has been much better to the bank account. Even when stock I was happy to see 20+MPG from the WRX (granted, this was before the engine redesign where it became more efficient).

I recently test drove a 2016 WRX (and GTI and FoST) and decided on the FiST because it was much more fun. And it was 15k under my budget.

For enthusiasts, every car is a personal decision.

The WRX is a great car, but the reason I find it not so fun I believe is due to the overall weight, size, and speed of the car. It's fun to drive when your absolutely blasting it through corners on a backroad, but outside of that it feels like a normal sedan that just so happens to have decent power. My former Miata was fun at all speeds, and I wonder if the Fiesta can match that fun and add some utility/practicality.

This is very accurate. Fiesta is fun at all speeds

I honestly think that in 08, Subaru starting trying to appeal to a more mass audience with the WRX. The designs started getting "soft" and size has reflected that (NOW THEY OFFER A NON-DUAL CLUTCH AUTO). It is not a bad thing cause it probably has made them more $. But cars like the Fiesta, Miata and BRZ still have the quality of "this car is ridiculous and the niche audience is going to love it"

I didn't have the WRX but I did have a Legacy GT with a brand spanking new 2.5 in it. And I must say hands down I have 0 regrets about trading in for the fist. way way way more fun. Also I live in Maine and we get plenty of snow. I put on 4 ford focus 15 inch wheels with new snow tires all around and its been great in the snow. I'm running an intake, FMIC and downpipe. (Next step is that Deadhook Tune) and its all the fun I could possibly need.

I traded my modded 2012 WRX for the FiST and haven't looked back once. The fiesta is far more engaging to drive, especially with the accessport and basic bolt-ons, far more fuel efficient, and is just a great overall vehicle. The only thing I miss is that Subaru exhaust note haha

I traded my modded 2012 WRX for the FiST and haven't looked back once. The fiesta is far more engaging to drive, especially with the accessport and basic bolt-ons, far more fuel efficient, and is just a great overall vehicle. The only thing I miss is that Subaru exhaust note haha
Which they killed with the FA Motor and EL Headers :(

OP
E
Thread Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the replies, love hearing from owners, especially those who have owned similar cars to myself.

I took the FiST out for about 3 hours, drove it on the hwy, around town where I live, and on a fairly tight backroad. All in all, the car felt amazing. Plenty of power for driving around town and getting on the hwy. The best part by far though was carving up a back road. I didn't push the car too hard, as it was on cheapo tires and I just don't know the handling characteristics well enough, but damn was the car fun. Reminded me a lot of my Miata in how fun it was to chuck into corners.

One of the biggest things that struck me while driving the FiST (especially on the back road) was just how good it is even in stock form. Brakes are great, handling is well balanced, power is decent, gear box is as smooth as butter, and the car just has a lot of character about it. When I drive the WRX on a backroad I think about how it needs better brakes, a tune to smooth out the power band and an altogether different gearbox to smooth out shifts.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to upgrade all of those things on the FiST....but at least I don't feel like I'd have to!

At this point, I'm pricing out leftover 2016 FiSTs with the recaros, sunroof, and white or blue paint. If the price is right, and I can get a good deal on my WRX, I think I'll make the swap.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for the replies, love hearing from owners, especially those who have owned similar cars to myself.

I took the FiST out for about 3 hours, drove it on the hwy, around town where I live, and on a fairly tight backroad. All in all, the car felt amazing. Plenty of power for driving around town and getting on the hwy. The best part by far though was carving up a back road. I didn't push the car too hard, as it was on cheapo tires and I just don't know the handling characteristics well enough, but damn was the car fun. Reminded me a lot of my Miata in how fun it was to chuck into corners.

One of the biggest things that struck me while driving the FiST (especially on the back road) was just how good it is even in stock form. Brakes are great, handling is well balanced, power is decent, gear box is as smooth as butter, and the car just has a lot of character about it. When I drive the WRX on a backroad I think about how it needs better brakes, a tune to smooth out the power band and an altogether different gearbox to smooth out shifts.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to upgrade all of those things on the FiST....but at least I don't feel like I'd have to!

At this point, I'm pricing out leftover 2016 FiSTs with the recaros, sunroof, and white or blue paint. If the price is right, and I can get a good deal on my WRX, I think I'll make the swap.

You should be able to get good money for your WRX. I traded mine in 4 years old with 50k hard miles and they showed and got 5500 less than it cost brand new. Good luck with your deal!

You should be able to get good money for your WRX. I traded mine in 4 years old with 50k hard miles and they showed and got 5500 less than it cost brand new. Good luck with your deal!