Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

No 2017 ST's per report

no matter how I read it, they are just talking about the next gen ST, I think 2017 ST will just come (identical to 2016) and putz along.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
yep, 2017 ST is the same as the current one. The 2018 is the redesign and I expect that mid-year 2017 or later. I don't expect to see the ST for 1-2 more years after that.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The only differences I saw in the '17 ST were a couple color changes. I'm glad I got a '16 because the Kona Blue, which I have and like, is no longer offered.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
http://fordauthority.com/2016/12/the-new-ford-fiesta-may-not-even-arrive-in-the-us-for-2018/

What next?? Fiesta sale down 26% in USA. Unless gas goes through the roof, and with the US love affair with SUVs, I don't see it being imported to the US for 2018. I think this is why the next gen ST will be the 1.0L engine......Europe will buy it but I don't think the US market will support it. So I think the warmed over 2017 will be the swan song in the US. Business Insider estimates that only 5000 ST's will be sold in the US this year and is optimistic with that figure. That is high at 6% market share when it is currently only running 5%. Dealers are being beat down on price as the market for the Fiesta ST is small and most people that wanted one have already purchased one. I wonder if that will boost used ST's prices? I also wonder about the color choices for 2017, only 4 colors offered and the only no charge colors are Black and Magnetic! Extra cost is White Platinum and the new Orange. Cost cutting measures?

Well, all great cars maintain their value when the numbers made stays low. I think in 20 ears a nice original low miles no mods ST will be a premium car. Think 2002 Ti, a nice car but not at today's prices. Priced an XKE lately, or a Ford Cortina Cosworth, any early Lotus not to mention Shelby's and Boss cars?

It should be interesting to see how the 2018 Fiesta works out for the USA. What about a tariff on cars from Mexico, how will that work out except not good for the Fiesta ST?

What next?? Fiesta sale down 26% in USA. Unless gas goes through the roof, and with the US love affair with SUVs, I don't see it being imported to the US for 2018. I think this is why the next gen ST will be the 1.0L engine......Europe will buy it but I don't think the US market will support it. So I think the warmed over 2017 will be the swan song in the US. Business Insider estimates that only 5000 ST's will be sold in the US this year and is optimistic with that figure. That is high at 6% market share when it is currently only running 5%. Dealers are being beat down on price as the market for the Fiesta ST is small and most people that wanted one have already purchased one. I wonder if that will boost used ST's prices? I also wonder about the color choices for 2017, only 4 colors offered and the only no charge colors are Black and Magnetic! Extra cost is White Platinum and the new Orange. Cost cutting measures?
Well I think the only think keeping the Fiesta on the market in the US are the CAFE fuel economy regulations.
Ford sells a lot of big trucks and SUVs then need something to bring up the average MPG

The new EcoSport, which is an small suv based on the Fiesta, will help. (Ford is going to import this from India, with the 1.0L)
Fiestas also bring up the average, even the Fiesta ST MPG brings up Fords average

But retooling the plant in Mexico can be expensive, maybe they will just import them from Germany, and swallow the extra cost.

Chevrolet is selling the BOLT electric at $9000 under their cost because it does such wonders for GM's CAFE.

Of course then there is Trump, he may lessen CAFE standards, and put a tariff on cars from Mexico

zanethan

Well I think the only think keeping the Fiesta on the market in the US are the CAFE fuel economy regulations.
Ford sells a lot of big trucks and SUVs then need something to bring up the average MPG

The new EcoSport, which is an small suv based on the Fiesta, will help. (Ford is going to import this from India, with the 1.0L)
Fiestas also bring up the average, even the Fiesta ST MPG brings up Fords average

But retooling the plant in Mexico can be expensive, maybe they will just import them from Germany, and swallow the extra cost.

Chevrolet is selling the BOLT electric at $9000 under their cost because it does such wonders for GM's CAFE.

Of course then there is Trump, he may lessen CAFE standards, and put a tariff on cars from Mexico
I'm willing to wager that the Fiesta will remain in the US market even if CAFE standards are lowered. Even if Ford sells a minimal amount in the US they are profiting off of that number since the car has been developed and sells well in other markets. I'm also willing to bet that the Fiesta sells well in the South American market so re-tooling the Mexico based plant would make sense. Additionally, the Fiesta does ok in the urban market of NA, I see them all the time in Charlotte. If Ford doesn't offer a small affordable car another company will and Ford will lose that market share. The market may be small but if Ford eliminates itself from the market then it becomes nonexistent.

We have no idea what will happen with his presidency but I doubt he will raise tariffs on good from Mexico or China, as that's where he manufactures some of his clothing lines. (This is not intended to be a political post, just a fact of where those goods are manufactured)

Finally, gas WILL eventually jump back up in price, it might be tomorrow or it might be in a few years but it will happen. OPEC recently decided to cut oil production and the fact remains that everyday there is less oil out there than the previous day. While some individuals out there either don't care or don't understand that concept, I'm certain auto manufactures have caught on and realize that it is best to maintain a diverse lineup of vehicles in the advent that the oil market shifts to avoid being caught with their pants down again.

I'm willing to wager that the Fiesta will remain in the US market even if CAFE standards are lowered. Even if Ford sells a minimal amount in the US they are profiting off of that number since the car has been developed and sells well in other markets. I'm also willing to bet that the Fiesta sells well in the South American market so re-tooling the Mexico based plant would make sense. Additionally, the Fiesta does ok in the urban market of NA, I see them all the time in Charlotte. If Ford doesn't offer a small affordable car another company will and Ford will lose that market share. The market may be small but if Ford eliminates itself from the market then it becomes nonexistent.

We have no idea what will happen with his presidency but I doubt he will raise tariffs on good from Mexico or China, as that's where he manufactures some of his clothing lines. (This is not intended to be a political post, just a fact of where those goods are manufactured)
Well you have a point there, GM sells the Sonic, and Spark. Chrysler sells the Fiat 500
So it would be foolish for Ford to drop out of that market.

Wikipedia says the current Generation Fiesta is built in a lot of places:
Spain
China
Germany
Mexico
Thailand
Vietnam
Venezuela
India
Taiwan
Brazil
Russia

So they have lots of choices.

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Keep in mind the US version is made only in Mexico. I don't doubt for one minute that tariffs will be placed on imports from Mexico and any other country so Fords only option will be to either move production to the US or simply exit the small car market in the US. I think with less than 5000 ST's sold this year Ford will look at the return on the US market ST hard. Same with the mini SUV Ecosport from India, it too will be taxed steeply. The profit margin on the Fiesta is slim to start with. I read in Business Insider that Ford make 5 times the profit on a base F150 than the Fiesta. And when very few Base models are sold Fords Golden Goose is their trucks not cars. And GM? Chinese Buicks at Sam's Club and now Chinese $80,000 Cadillacs! Sad where their bailout money was spent.

The answer has always been simple, we give foreign companies tax free status to build in the US for many years but do not allow it for US companies so they go overseas to get tax breaks. Look at VW here in E. TN, over 1 BILLION in incentives went to VW to build cars here even though they reneged on the promises of full time jobs and hiring locals. And look what we got for our tax money.....screwed by them is many ways. How does Ford compete when they have to pay taxes? Simple, they move production overseas or Mexico. I love small cars....my first car was a white 1959 Fiat 500D with suicide doors. 52 years later and my current car is my White Fiesta ST. I still believe the ST impresses me more in overall performance than any car I have owned/driven. And that includes some very nice rides! I would love to buy the first Fiesta ST made in the USA!

I hope you're right since you want the fiesta to go away from the US market so badly... lol

not that my comment matters, but why are we speculating things that doesn't matter? (a 2018 car)

OP
jmrtsus

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I have zero desire for it to go away.....I would much rather it be US made. I love my Fiesta.......Mexican made and all! The small car market in the US is a very small part of Fords income. Just looked at some numbers, the 5000 Fiesta ST's made are part of over 2.5 million vehicles sold by Ford this year in the US. The majority were trucks/SUV's. The American love affair with pick-up trucks and SUV's will end only when gas goes up by a good bit. Until then Ford and the others will milk that market for all it is worth. The small car market is a niche market with our different safety and emissions standards. Hell we can't even have the same lights the rest of the world gets. So if it comes to cost cutting I can easily see the Fiesta ST bite the dust in the US. The next engine will most likely be the 1.0L and the current ST buyers (as the US Ford marketing calls us) the "tuner" crowd will look for more displacement for modding in the US so I don't think there will be any reason for Ford to offer it especially with a steep tariff on it! All guess work anyway....who knows what will happen in 2 years! Again, I would kill to buy an American made Fiesta ST!

Not a care in the world about anything you mentioned, I have my ST and I will keep it until it cannot be driven anymore. lol

They will probably sell the ST here anyway. Look at the Golf R. (its really not that different in terms of "niche vehicle").

PS I only buy niche vehicles.

zanethan

Ford will end up selling 50,000 units for 2016 not 5,000. Your speculation is certainly interesting but I think you're way off. The production cost of changing some headlights is peanuts to what it cost to actually develop and produce a car. Given that the fiesta sells so well in the rest of the world they will continue producing it so why not spend the few extra dollars to develop the different headlights. Again yes the small car segment in the US market is very small but the upfront costs for developing the car is spread over all markets given that it is a global car. Therefore, if Ford were to stop selling it in the US market the only thing Ford will accomplish is losing out on their market share. It doesn't matter how little they make on it Ford is still profiting from it so why stop producing it? IF tariffs are put on imported cars manufactured in Mexico that MIGHT change things but that's a big if right now. Me personally, I'm doubtful it'll happen, but I guess we'll find out won't we.

Relevant to the discussion.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20161205/OEM04/161209933/ford-sees-lineup-changing-to-match-demand-will-add-debt

Ford will want to keep catering to the Fiesta ST demo for as long as they can. Companies can only offer what people will buy. With Fiat falling behind on the 500, and other manufacters, Hyundai/Kia for example possibly joining in, it would make sense to continue to continue to set the benchmark for the competition, by selling the only car this demo can/wants to buy.
But looking at current trends, even in Europe many of the Hot Hatches offer a auto/DSG or don't even offer manual at all, instead going for paddle shifters for that "sporty feel". These cars have more features than even the Euro-spec FiST and in turn are more expensive. The next-gen will add all these expected features for a price as the Fiesta moves upmarket. Of course Ford has not said if the ST will follow the mantra of "lightness, simplicity, and performance instead of creature comforts" that the demo wants. The basis of the ST line-up is to cater to that manual-only crowd, who also don't want features line lane-detection (many people shopping for the FiST attempted to find one with just the Recaros and ended up ordering them in this manner becasue dealers would not carry this, it was always the seats and nav/sunroof/wheels). In the US this crowd is dwindling, along with people who want new "premium/sport" small-cars at 20,000 plus dollars that don't appear like it could off-road. And even if these people cry on places like Jalopnik for one, will they even actually buy one when the time comes? For example, the Fiat 500 Abarth, completely falling out of favour, with certain trims offering 5,000+ discounts. Even between a used Fist/Fost people are steered to the Fost because it fits with the continued and still growing mindset that bigger/more power is better. Couple this with the fact that first-time buyers into the Ford family with the FiST may move up and that for many this is a 2nd or 3rd car, and the quick turn-over (many people have sold theirs for what-ever reason within 10,000 mi), US market control of oil/our dependence on domestic fuel, Trumps admins nationalistic rhetoric, the increasing population in city centers (the same demo Ford tries to get hooked on the smaller Fiesta) where these cars are a hassle, increasing cost of insuring a new car, as well as more traffic deaths/accidents, current trends and market history is not on the Fiesta STs side.

I would welcome a next-gen because it would mean the interest in such cars may grow, and in consequence interest in the younger-gen, more autocross, rallycross, aftermarket support, more focus on driver programs.
Though I do think that this gen will be known in NA as what started it all, and one of the most raw accesible drivers cars and would not be saddened if they quit imports of the ST, I've already got mine.