Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

SYNC 3 - BlueTooth Driver Stack Crashes

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The BlueTooth driver stack occasionally crashes.

This is a short 20 second <2MB video.
https://1drv.ms/v/s!AhsZJDCN8kMMi0--MP4bTL8rGY_r

This includes versioning information. There were no updates available for download at the time of the video. (Sept 30th 2016)

The only way to get BT function back is to shut the car off for at least 30 minutes or however long it takes before the SYNC system transitions from sleep to shutdown. So basically you're without it for the rest of the trip; which is a nuisance if you're in the middle of an extended trip.

A frequency of occurrence guesstimation may be somewhere between 1 in 60 and 1 in 180 trips.
It is probably more likely to occur during an extended trip.
That I've noticed or are aware of, no special action is required to trigger the event.
It last occurred in the middle of an audio stream during an extended trip.
At some point before one of the events, I noticed the audio quality on the stream was very degraded, but not breaking-up.

I am willing to enter service mode and retrieve any logs, provided no special equipment or dealer visit is required. (don't have time for dealer visits and service mode entry info will not be shared)

Thanks!

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #2
[MENTION=2474]FordIVTteam[/MENTION] - Thought this might be interesting. Any info on how to restart the system without the wait, or clearing settings, let me know.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #4
I saw that coming. :)

Hasn't happened in a while and will wait until the frequency occurrence increases.

I get much more frequent, but milder bluetooth crashes on my 2016 with Sync 3. About 1 in 10 times I start the car bluetooth doesn't connect. Turning bluetooth off and on from my phone (Galaxy S7) and scanning for available devices doesn't list my car, and the connect to phone option from within the Sync 3 interface is grayed out. If I turn the car off, open the driver's door, and wait for the Sync 3 display to fully turn off (~15 seconds), I can then restart the car and so far it has auto-connected successfully after doing that.

More infrequently, the bluetooth connection will drop while driving. Sometimes it goes to static, other times it goes to silence. The same procedure restores the connection, but obviously inconvenient while driving. My Sync 3 is paired to my home wireless and my last check for updates was 12/5/2016.

Bluetooth bug in Android Version 4.3 and 4.4

There is a known problem with Bluetooth on Android Version 4.3 and 4.4
You get a message "unfortunately bluetooth has stopped" error message on your phone
And Sync disconnects, sometimes with an error message on the Sync screen, sometimes the bluetooth connection just drops off.
Sometimes the error message on your phone repeatedly occurs and you have to reboot your phone to clear it.

Solutions are to update your Android version if available on your phone.
Or to do a factory reset wipe, which is only a temporary fix because a memory buffer in the phone will eventually fill up and cause the error again.

This problem has been resolved in Andriod Version 5.0 and up, which is used in more recent phones.
This info is only related to the this topic in that both involve a Bluetooth problem.

OP
Intuit

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
Hi Vegas_.

To be clear, the problem in this case is with SYNC3 version 1.0.

Rebooting SYNC allows reconnect whereas rebooting the phone has no impact.
The phone can verifiable connect to any other BT device with no issue.
Not that it matters, but my particular phone is Windows 10 Phone O/S.

Still, it's a good idea to post what you did. Thanks for contributing.