Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid Turbo Thread

How many have purchased / installed / tuned the x-47 Hybrid Turbo?

• X-47 Purchased

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • X-47 Installed

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • X-47 Tuned

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • X-47 Dyno / V-Dyno Results

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
I'd still go with a x47 variant. More air volume is always good.
I love my X47 and the lag is VERY little if any compared to stock. I would say get the x47 because it give you room to grow if you move or fuel in your area changes. I thing it made the car easier to drive in town because the Torque is just a little higher. Gives you a chance to get moving before you start spinning your tires.
Thank you for answering.
My main fear is running lean, and BTW overheat.
On my stage3 tune (Intake, DP, FMIC), I got a peak at 113°C (235F) on coolant temp, and my daily temp is about 100°C (210F).
I think i will have to upgrade to Mishimoto rad if I go x47.

Does it really make a big difference between 25 lbs of boost and 27? Mine is holding mid 27 to high 26 to red line and will peak at 28.50. So I am going to have a turbo failure because of this? Why? What fails? What makes the 47+ and 47R so much more robust?

Thank you for answering.
My main fear is running lean, and BTW overheat.
On my stage3 tune (Intake, DP, FMIC), I got a peak at 113°C (235F) on coolant temp, and my daily temp is about 100°C (210F).
I think i will have to upgrade to Mishimoto rad if I go x47.
Your tuner will make sure it's not running too lean. Can't speak about the overheating. I only noticed my temp climb once last year stuck in traffic with the a/c cranked.

Does it really make a big difference between 25 lbs of boost and 27? Mine is holding mid 27 to high 26 to red line and will peak at 28.50. So I am going to have a turbo failure because of this? Why? What fails? What makes the 47+ and 47R so much more robust?

It will only fail if you plan on doing a half mile event

The question really is, is there more flow? 27psi might be taking it out of its efficiency range (too high of a PR), moving it straight up on the compressor map, instead of right (up is pressure, right is flow). Higher redline boost level will correlate to higher wheel speed. Overspinning the turbo puts alot of stress on it in terms of bearing wear and heat (generally how turbos fail and are marked on compressor maps too). Turbo's are designed for certain wheelspeed. Also, more boost means more heat in the combustion chamber which will allow for less timing and be more prone to knock. If your only getting additional pressure, but no additional flow, your not going to make more power. Usually more boost but the same mass air flow means that the air is heating up and just stressing everything out.

^unless your on e50, which in case you can push it a little past the efficiency of the turbo because e85 has magical powers
E85 is magic! I am just saying on my etune or my race tune I am not doing autocross where there is high temps and rpms for long time periods. I just use this one for drag racing or street racing where there is time between runs to let everything cool down. I change oil every 2500 miles and use mobile one, over kill yes but I have had no problems yet. Not saying i won't, Just wanted to show it can be done. I watch all temps like no ones business!

jeff

2000 Post Club
Couple weeks in now with the X47, about 500 miles on it so far...a few thoughts from Jeff...

What kind of tires are you guys running with the x-47 and how is your traction. My boss is going to buy me any set of wheels and tires I want along with a LSD but I dont know what to get. I have a set of wheels and tire for winter and a set for summer so these will just be for street racing and the drag strip.
I love my X47 and the lag is VERY little if any compared to stock. I would say get the x47 because it give you room to grow if you move or fuel in your area changes. I thing it made the car easier to drive in town because the Torque is just a little higher. Gives you a chance to get moving before you start spinning your tires.

I am finalizing my tune after adding Cobb traction control. I've got it to the point where I can floor it in 2nd and get about 90% traction which feels good. Why anyone would not add TC is beyond me. It really enhances the driving experience especially with the turbo upgrade.

I agree with you on the lesser torque and the fact that it is actually nice. My car has zero torque steer now. Before on stock turbo it would definitely pull to the side when i floored it in 1st or 2nd. Now it doesn't. According to vDyno there is 10-20 ft/lbs less torque and the turbo might spool a few hundred rpms later. For this reason I think torque steer is not a factor and the car again is so much more usable and driveability is enhanced.

The best I could do on 93 280 hp on the v dyno. I agree the tq is a little low but you should see the graph. How do you get pics on here?
Nice numbers usually the hp is close to the same as torque if not less with these kinda different I guess how you got 314 and 277. Of course this is vdyno be nice to see real dyno numbers once tuning is finished. When I eventually land an x47 I will probably tune for both e30 and 93 and run 93 alot of the time where mine is a daily and the closest e85 to me is like 40+ miles away. If I could land 280 whp or better on straight 93 pump I'd be more than satisfied.
My tuner/installer (Panda) suggested that the FiST maxes out at 275ish on 93 (based on Fuel)... and just below 300 on E30 (same consideration)....
Yes with the x47 and only 93 oct 275 ish is all that you are going to get but that is the fuels fault. When you go E fuel you can make more than 300 but you have to do the aux fuel with out it the car runs out of fuel.
That is what I thought. If course 280 to the wheels is plenty for me. Wouldn't mind running that daily and being tuned for e30 so I can occasionally run 300 ish to the ground for fun and for the track etc. I live 40+ miles from the nearest ethanol so it isn't practical to run it all the time on my daily driver which this car is.
I've done about 10 datalog/vDynos now and the average in decent weather/humidity is right at 275 so this is on par with what all of you are saying. I wish when people brag about being close to 300 they would mention that they're on aux fuel/ethanol/meth or have the X47+ or R or whatever. But for a base X47 275 is what is realistic and expected. I suspect when I hit a real dyno in a few months that's what it will say and I will be quite happy.

Ethanol would be a nice +10% bump but in my case station is too far away (45 minutes) and sacrifice in MPG makes me content not having it.

Yeah the mrx has a MUCH steeper powerband
Awesome! Amazing! I'm concerned about the lag but the power is very good
Bryan (@antarctica24) just installed the MRX on his car and we've been talking...from everything I read and hear it seems to me that the MRX has more top end power but sacrifices the early spool to some degree. So in picking between these 2 options one would probably decide which was more important for them...top end power gain by maybe 8-10%, go with the MRX....prefer the low end spool, go with the X47.

Based

Debatable, things warrant extra time, as in broken bolts in which the original book time does not factor in. Usually the service rep would account for something on this though usually in the way of something that pays 5.3 they may quote 6.0 hours giving some leeway. Remember Techs need to get paid to, in a fair and just manor, how that happens, either the dealer or the customer when unforeseen incidents take place is a different story.

In this case book time is 5.4 hours for those who are curious.
The shop I go to is very good. But he charges by the amount of time it takes him. It's just one guy. How do shops figure the time it should take to do something like a turbo swap? Especially on a car they've probably never messed with before.

EDIT: And how long did everyone's tune take? Like all the logs/revisions. A week? A month? And who did you go with?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The shop I go to is very good. But he charges by the amount of time it takes him. It's just one guy. How do shops figure the time it should take to do something like a turbo swap? Especially on a car they've probably never messed with before.

EDIT: And how long did everyone's tune take? Like all the logs/revisions. A week? A month? And who did you go with?

Book time is literally that. There are a few companies (Mitchell and Carlisle being two of the biggest) that publish service data and labour times based off the oem information. Charging anything else is kinda crooked, barring unforeseen circumstances; like broken or seized bolts. Book times were created to be fair to the tech and the customer. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you loose.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #833
Had the FiST on the dyno today. Here's the results!

Very Impressive!

Please list fuel type...

Owner: MisSTrouble

Turbo: PumaSpeed X47

Fuel: e30

Tuner: Tune+

Modifications List: MAP Intercooler, MAP Intake, Tune+ IWG, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Hot/Cold Charge Pipes, PLM 3" catless DP, CP-E catback, GFB DV+

Results: 304whp / 344tq

Very Impressive!

Please list fuel type...

Fuel: ?

Modifications List: MAP Intercooler, MAP Intake, Tune+ IWG, Mishimoto Radiator, Mishimoto Hot/Cold Charge Pipes, PLM 3" catless DP, CP-E catback, GFB DV+

Thank you!
Fuel is E30

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #835
Thank you!
Fuel is E30
Great job [twothumb] Added your dyno results and info below to first page of thread

Fuel: e30

LILIKE16ST

304 and 344 at the wheels? Daaaayyyuuuumm. That's the most torque I've ever seen to the wheels on a hybrid setup. Horsepower is pretty damn solid too. Is that from making the turbo come on stronger earlier on leading to torque spike or is this something that would be safe and isn't that unusual at all like I am thinking it is??

304 and 344 at the wheels? Daaaayyyuuuumm. That's the most torque I've ever seen to the wheels on a hybrid setup. Horsepower is pretty damn solid too. Is that from making the turbo come on stronger earlier on leading to torque spike or is this something that would be safe and isn't that unusual at all like I am thinking it is??
It's a demonic little Roller Skate now for sure! Despite what you might think, it isn't violent. It just plants you in the seat and keeps pulling to redline. It put up these numbers in 103* heat and 45% humidity.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #838
It's a demonic little Roller Skate now for sure! Despite what you might think, it isn't violent. It just plants you in the seat and keeps pulling to redline. It put up these numbers in 103* heat and 45% humidity.
wow! Would love to see this repeated at 60F ambient...

jeff

2000 Post Club
Wow those results are awesome very happy for you MisSTrouble! Makes me want to go find an e85 station.....