Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid Turbo Thread

How many have purchased / installed / tuned the x-47 Hybrid Turbo?

• X-47 Purchased

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • X-47 Installed

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • X-47 Tuned

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • X-47 Dyno / V-Dyno Results

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

shouldbeasy

1000 Post Club
the turbo was installed correctly

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Contact Pumaspeed and document your issues - state when it was installed,when the smoke started and when you noticed the drips of oil on the turbo housing.

Hopefully it's a relatively new turbo and Pumaspeed will warranty it... you still have to ship it back to them for diagnosis though.

Good luck! This car is so fun with the X-47 I can't see myself going anywhere else. (minimal lag down low and yet enough power for me up top).

I really do not know what to think, I had many expectations with this turbo and now it has broken down, well now I just hope that pumaspeed change this turbo or can give me a good guarantee
Definitely keep us up to date with how it turns out for you.

And your English is easier to understand than the some who've English as their native language.

guys thank you for your opinions, I will get in touch with pumaspeed, they are a serious company and are more experts in this topic, I do not think I have problems with them for the guarantee, I hope so

It looks like pumaspeed has decided to cover my x47 under warranty. I got a tracking number this morning. They are okay in my book.
If it's not too much to ask, I can know what happened to your turbo and how the warranty problem worked with pumaspeed. I also have problems with my turbo bought in pumaspeed.

If it's not too much to ask, I can know what happened to your turbo and how the warranty problem worked with pumaspeed. I also have problems with my turbo bought in pumaspeed.
The turbo seized and the nut flew off the compressor wheel. I originally thought the nut fell off and caused the failure but the wheel was only chewed up front contact with the housing and not the nut itself. There were no warnings of the failure. I had maybe 200 miles on it and during a wot 2->3 shift the car died and when I tried to start it smoke was coming from the air filter.

I ended up selling the car to carmax as I feared there was more damage done. Maybe just paranoia but I also had other reasons for selling the car. It just pushed me over the edge.

After a bit of back and forth with pumaspeed they paid for shipping the unit to them and within 48 hours of receiving the unit they sent me a brand new x47r.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Garrett and Borg Warner, unquestionably.
So comes the next question....Why keep buying unproven mediocre product? The prices are around the same price point....I've just noticed over the years I've been on here...more and more problems happen with the hybrids vs. Borg Warner and Garrett/ATP. I'm sure they both have failed at one point in time in their lives....But it sure does seem the Hybrids fail more often....IMO.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

felopr

“why" do they fail though? Overspinning? Rotating assembly not balanced? Bad seals?

So comes the next question....Why keep buying unproven mediocre product? The prices are around the same price point....I've just noticed over the years I've been on here...more and more problems happen with the hybrids vs. Borg Warner and Garrett/ATP. I'm sure they both have failed at one point in time in their lives....But it sure does seem the Hybrids fail more often....IMO.

These hybrids are made, and people buy them, to maintain the dynamics with which this car was designed, but add a little umph. The full frame turbos simply change the driving characteristics of the car too much for most people.

The turbo seized and the nut flew off the compressor wheel. I originally thought the nut fell off and caused the failure but the wheel was only chewed up front contact with the housing and not the nut itself. There were no warnings of the failure. I had maybe 200 miles on it and during a wot 2->3 shift the car died and when I tried to start it smoke was coming from the air filter.

I ended up selling the car to carmax as I feared there was more damage done. Maybe just paranoia but I also had other reasons for selling the car. It just pushed me over the edge.

After a bit of back and forth with pumaspeed they paid for shipping the unit to them and within 48 hours of receiving the unit they sent me a brand new x47r.
Then they paid for all the shipping? you can be more specific ... pumaspeed tells me that I must pay the shipping costs ... which seems to me something illogical .... as I did not realize all the faults I would not have got into this brand

I think the hybrids are a bit less expensive. Fury Motoring sells the base x47 for 1300 without core exchange right now. Mountune and ATP kits will be between 1900-2300 without everything you need. This is assuming you have the proper supporting mods already. I think the extra money is worth the reliability.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think the hybrids are a bit less expensive. Fury Motoring sells the base x47 for 1300 without core exchange right now. Mountune and ATP kits will be between 1900-2300 without everything you need. This is assuming you have the proper supporting mods already. I think the extra money is worth the reliability.
ATP/Garrett comes with pretty much everything when you buy the kit...minus supporting mods obviously. I agree with you more to get something more reliable also as I have a ATP/Garrett chilling in my basement ...just waiting for whooshs catted DP then it is complete minus a new tune!

jeff

2000 Post Club
ATP/Garrett comes with pretty much everything when you buy the kit...minus supporting mods obviously. I agree with you more to get something more reliable also as I have a ATP/Garrett chilling in my basement ...just waiting for whooshs catted DP then it is complete minus a new tune!

I don't know guys, I know I seem like a bandwagoner here since my X47 is doing fine, but I think in the big picture if you take into account all the failures, the X47/hybrids aren't so bad. Only 2 that I'm aware of have failed, and this newest from our poor friend Agnosti would be a third. Think of all the other problems that true big turbos have caused people, so many high HP FiSTs are no longer running or keep breaking, I don't think it's fair to say that the Puma products are as horrible as they're being made out to be.

Another thing - failure could be in part due to the tune. I noticed when I installed my X47 that three members here have higher PSI tunes than Puma recommends. I contacted Puma and talked to my tuner about this. Bottom line, with the X47 they recommend 25.4psi target boost plateau. Now some people want MOAR POWR and bump it up to 28 or even 29psi. I've seen the logs, we share in secret. IMHO, that's crazy. You're pushing the turbo past what it's engineered to do. Of course they're going to break. So what I'm saying is yes a few turbos have failed but I suspect part of it might be because they were not safely tuned. Seeing the logs would tell the other side of the story; of course that's not going to happen, but it is a possible reason for premature failure.

Another thing - failure could be in part due to the tune. I noticed when I installed my X47 that three members here have higher PSI tunes than Puma recommends. I contacted Puma and talked to my tuner about this. Bottom line, with the X47 they recommend 25.4psi target boost plateau. Now some people want MOAR POWR and bump it up to 28 or even 29psi. I've seen the logs, we share in secret. IMHO, that's crazy. You're pushing the turbo past what it's engineered to do. Of course they're going to break. So what I'm saying is yes a few turbos have failed but I suspect part of it might be because they were not safely tuned. Seeing the logs would tell the other side of the story; of course that's not going to happen, but it is a possible reason for premature failure.
This is a good point.

I need to pay more attention to what boost level someone's running when they post their hp numbers.

I don't know guys, I know I seem like a bandwagoner here since my X47 is doing fine, but I think in the big picture if you take into account all the failures, the X47/hybrids aren't so bad. Only 2 that I'm aware of have failed, and this newest from our poor friend Agnosti would be a third. Think of all the other problems that true big turbos have caused people, so many high HP FiSTs are no longer running or keep breaking, I don't think it's fair to say that the Puma products are as horrible as they're being made out to be.

I am not saying pumaspeed products are no good. I just don't like the idea of pushing the x47 to it's limits. It is bound to fail. Most of the true big turbo failures are because of, again, pushing the limits. For someone like me who puts 20k+ a year on my car, reliability is a big thing for me. If that costs me a few hundred extra to go with a garret core, than so be it. I just personally don't like the idea of pushing a stock frame or hybrid turbo like that. Everyone is different and has different wants or desires when it comes to their car.

Then they paid for all the shipping? you can be more specific ... pumaspeed tells me that I must pay the shipping costs ... which seems to me something illogical .... as I did not realize all the faults I would not have got into this brand

At first they didn't realize it cost me $250 to ship in my core to them. When they did they gave me access to their DHL account so I could print a label myself.