Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid Turbo Thread

How many have purchased / installed / tuned the x-47 Hybrid Turbo?

• X-47 Purchased

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • X-47 Installed

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • X-47 Tuned

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • X-47 Dyno / V-Dyno Results

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters

LILIKE16ST

So I bought a low mileage used X47 and I'd like some advice before I do the install as I'd like to do everything at once. Here's my current setup:

2016 FiST
Cobb AP
Green filter in stock air box
Stock RMM
MBRP exhaust
MBRP hotside pipe
2J catless DP (not installed)
Mountune IC
15" Team Dynamics w/ BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 195/55R15

My X47 has a Turbosmart wastegate and recirc already. I know I need a larger IC and am looking at a Whoosh. Anything obvious that I need to upgrade or any suggestions? I'm going to buy the recommended new bolts and gaskets. Thanks!
Everything looks good I'd recommend an upgraded rmm and a short shift as they really change the feel of the driving experience in a really positive way over stock but it isn't a have to as far as this particular install goes. As stated above I'd do colder plugs and I'd look into an intake upgrade too. Nothing wrong with with a drop in but intakes have shown to make a few hp and up to 20 torque to the wheels on a stock turbo that gain is only going to be larger with a much better flowing turbo like the x47. 2jr if you can tolerate the noise if not the big mouth and cpe combo is the best imo as far as full length intakes. I would bet it would make as measurable difference on an x47 setup because it makes some difference even on stock turbo. That's just my .02 but again not a have to in order to run an x47 and have a good setup. As you already mentioned defiantly go with that whoosh over the mountune I'm not a fan of their intercooler they make great parts but it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me ecapecually with an aftermarket turbo.

jeff

2000 Post Club
So I bought a low mileage used X47 and I'd like some advice before I do the install as I'd like to do everything at once. Here's my current setup:

2016 FiST
Cobb AP
Green filter in stock air box
Stock RMM
MBRP exhaust
MBRP hotside pipe
2J catless DP (not installed)
Mountune IC
15" Team Dynamics w/ BFGoodrich G-Force Sport Comp 2 195/55R15

My X47 has a Turbosmart wastegate and recirc already. I know I need a larger IC and am looking at a Whoosh. Anything obvious that I need to upgrade or any suggestions? I'm going to buy the recommended new bolts and gaskets. Thanks!
Everything looks good I'd recommend an upgraded rmm and a short shift as they really change the feel of the driving experience in a really positive way over stock but it isn't a have to as far as this particular install goes. As stated above I'd do colder plugs and I'd look into an intake upgrade too. Nothing wrong with with a drop in but intakes have shown to make a few hp and up to 20 torque to the wheels on a stock turbo that gain is only going to be larger with a much better flowing turbo like the x47. 2jr if you can tolerate the noise if not the big mouth and cpe combo is the best imo as far as full length intakes. I would bet it would make as measurable difference on an x47 setup because it makes some difference even on stock turbo. That's just my .02 but again not a have to in order to run an x47 and have a good setup. As you already mentioned defiantly go with that whoosh over the mountune I'm not a fan of their intercooler they make great parts but it doesn't seem like much of an upgrade to me ecapecually with an aftermarket turbo.
Good luck on your install and tune!

I have a CP-E intake for sale currently in the FS section, it's in great shape and makes a noticeable difference esp. in torque and mentioned above, as well as in intake temps. Holler at me if you're interested. IMHO you've got some great mods there but an intake is going to do more for you than a hotside pipe, charge pipes don't do much unless you're getting one with a port for meth injection.

Enjoy the upgrade!!

Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I left out the colder plugs but I will certainly get those.

I will check out your CP-E for sale, jeff. An intake is the next piece I'm looking at buying soon.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Thanks for the suggestions and yes, I left out the colder plugs but I will certainly get those.

I will check out your CP-E for sale, jeff. An intake is the next piece I'm looking at buying soon.
Ok great, here's the thread:

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...ke-for-sale-2014-2015-model-color-black/page2

I'll do $275 shipped if you want, I'm planning to lower the price to that if it hasn't sold by the weekend, but hit me up if you're interested.

Exact same thing happened with my x37, they must be using shit plugs or something. Happened to a few guys that pm'd with their x37. When I messaged PS on Facebook, they didn't help much and adam denied any responsibility lol. These companies are the shits of life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I am having the same problem of coolant leaking from the plugs. People had success by removing and installing the plugs from the stock turbo?

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I am having the same problem of coolant leaking from the plugs. People had success by removing and installing the plugs from the stock turbo?
One plug on my X47 wouldn't budge luckily it didn't leak. The other I swapped and used 545 loctite.

One plug on my X47 wouldn't budge luckily it didn't leak. The other I swapped and used 545 loctite.
Took the pumaspeed off today and replaced the plug bolts with the plug bolts from the OEM turbo. Everything is now leak free. The OEM bolts have a little grade up to the bolt head that I feel makes a better seal--that or the fact that I had to take the OEM bolts off with a breaker bar and the pumaspeed bolts came off with an allen wrench.

I recommend that everyone installing a pumaspeed replace the plug bolts with the ones off the OEM turbo. And definitely get a few extra nuts and maybe a post or two that hold the turbo to the manifold I would have been SOL this weekend if i hadn't read to do that in a previous post. One nut was stripped so bad i had to take turbo off by taking the whole manifold out and taking a dremel to the nut.

Does anyone know if you can check / change the preset on the wastegate actuator without taking the turbo off? I have a turbosmart actuator on my x47.

look at how many turns the nut has?
Not sure if I can tell by looking. I meant will I be able to reach it, take the clip off, and turn it while it is still attached to the manifold, or even better with the manifold heat shield still on. Really don't want to have to take it all apart again for like the 4th time haha.. I guess I can figure out myself but I kind of wanted to plan it out a little before I just went at it.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Okay guys I need some help. Today I went to install my X47R that I've had for a bit. The install went smoothly apart from missing two studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head. When I did my first start I got clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust. The odor of the smoke is strange, doesn't have a distinct smell to it. My question is has anyone else had out of the box failures of this turbo? Does anyone know how pumaspeed handles these kind of warranties? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for reading.

Okay guys I need some help. Today I went to install my X47R that I've had for a bit. The install went smoothly apart from missing two studs that hold the exhaust manifold to the head. When I did my first start I got clouds of white smoke out of the exhaust. The odor of the smoke is strange, doesn't have a distinct smell to it. My question is has anyone else had out of the box failures of this turbo? Does anyone know how pumaspeed handles these kind of warranties? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks for reading.
I had to take it off after first install and replace the coolant plugs on it because the ones the supplied were leaking. Does the smoke come right away or after a while? White smoke sounds like coolant to me. Did you get it directly from pumaspeed?

I had the wrong unit sent to me. It was an X47R for a mondeo. Didn’t realize until after I installed and wouldn’t spool until around 4K. They sent me a new turbo pretty quick and then I shipped them the other turbo on their account. Make sure you do, otherwise it’s around $400ish to ship back to them.

I had the wrong unit sent to me. It was an X47R for a mondeo. Didn’t realize until after I installed and wouldn’t spool until around 4K. They sent me a new turbo pretty quick and then I shipped them the other turbo on their account. Make sure you do, otherwise it’s around $400ish to ship back to them.

I still fit to the manifold and downpipe no problem? How did you figure it out?

I had to take it off after first install and replace the coolant plugs on it because the ones the supplied were leaking. Does the smoke come right away or after a while? White smoke sounds like coolant to me. Did you get it directly from pumaspeed?

Smoke starts as soon as you start the car. Normally I would agree about the coolant, but the smell of the smoke isn't sweet. I did not buy the turbo directly from pumaspeed. I ordered it through stratified as one of their package deals. I've already contacted Alex via email just waiting on a response. I made a quick video showing the smoke https://imgur.com/v6RI9cA

Smoke starts as soon as you start the car. Normally I would agree about the coolant, but the smell of the smoke isn't sweet. I did not buy the turbo directly from pumaspeed. I ordered it through stratified as one of their package deals. I've already contacted Alex via email just waiting on a response. I made a quick video showing the smoke https://imgur.com/v6RI9cA
Are you using motorcraft orange? Maybe motorcraft orange smells different when it burns. I have seen on the forums people getting defective pumaspeeds that start to burn oil after a short period of time. But they always can send them back with no problem. And stratified is a great company so I'm sure they will work with you on it.

Sucks though, I know the shitty feeling of - I just installed my turbo and something is wrong. I lucked out though being able to fix it and put it back in. To me this sounds like something that will require a new turbo, but I'm not at all an expert.

Do keep us informed with what happens though. I'm very curious.

So tonight I pulled the X47R off the car and reinstalled the OEM turbo. Car is running like a champ again. I have no doubts the turbo I received was defective. Looking at the turbo off the car is seems in good condition. I'm guessing a seal was not installed properly. I called Pumaspeed this morning to talk about the issue and what needs to be done to resolve the situation. I was annoyed when they told me I will need to pay shipping. This is an out of the box failure I don't think it is right for me to have to pay that. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.

So tonight I pulled the X47R off the car and reinstalled the OEM turbo. Car is running like a champ again. I have no doubts the turbo I received was defective. Looking at the turbo off the car is seems in good condition. I'm guessing a seal was not installed properly. I called Pumaspeed this morning to talk about the issue and what needs to be done to resolve the situation. I was annoyed when they told me I will need to pay shipping. This is an out of the box failure I don't think it is right for me to have to pay that. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.
You can't return it to stratified?

Yeah definitely don't capitulate into paying for shipping. That's not right.. and it's going to be a couple hundred dollars possibly depending on where you live

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Like I've said from the Beginning.....I see more and more hybrids come bad right out of the box from Pumspeed and fail sooner than later. Doesn't this ring like a bell for any of you? Having to pay shipping for a faulty product back to the manufacturer.....Fu*k that shit. Id return that shit and go to Ron at whoosh with a REvo or Aet330r Voodoo setup or even a Garrett.They seem to have a lower failure rate that Pumadoodle...er whatever you wanna call them.