Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed X-47 Hybrid Turbo Thread

How many have purchased / installed / tuned the x-47 Hybrid Turbo?

• X-47 Purchased

Votes: 53 75.7%
  • X-47 Installed

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • X-47 Tuned

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • X-47 Dyno / V-Dyno Results

Votes: 8 11.4%

• Total voters
So tonight I pulled the X47R off the car and reinstalled the OEM turbo. Car is running like a champ again. I have no doubts the turbo I received was defective. Looking at the turbo off the car is seems in good condition. I'm guessing a seal was not installed properly. I called Pumaspeed this morning to talk about the issue and what needs to be done to resolve the situation. I was annoyed when they told me I will need to pay shipping. This is an out of the box failure I don't think it is right for me to have to pay that. I will keep everyone updated on what happens.
I installed my x47R, it was less than 1 month working when I started to throw white smoke also, I contacted pumaspeed and they told me that I had to pay for the shipment until uk for them to revive it ... not having more options I sent it for supposedly guarantee and they told me that the mail had damaged my turbo (the shipping company of my country says no) the fact is that I have more than 3 months waiting for a positive solution (the quote they gave me was around 700 dollars) I think it was the worst business of my life to buy in pumaspeed, sorry friends my english is bad

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I installed my x47R, it was less than 1 month working when I started to throw white smoke also, I contacted pumaspeed and they told me that I had to pay for the shipment until uk for them to revive it ... not having more options I sent it for supposedly guarantee and they told me that the mail had damaged my turbo (the shipping company of my country says no) the fact is that I have more than 3 months waiting for a positive solution (the quote they gave me was around 700 dollars) I think it was the worst business of my life to buy in pumaspeed, sorry friends my english is bad

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk
Your English is fine....I am sorry to hear this man...its sucks....Sounds like PUMAPOOP is Turning into Mishimoto...Love to sell product but not really back it up and throw the costs on the consumer when the Shit hits the fan to ship it back to get it fixed/Warrantied.

LILIKE16ST

I feel bad for you guys and I hope the best for you. I used to want an x37 then x47 when it came out but the horror stories are making me more and more swayed towards the mrx. It can give me similar power output on e30-e40 with just barely more lag and what seems like a much lower failure rate being a garret core. Do they accept stock type downpipe and intakes? I'd like to continue to use my cpe intake and it would be easier to obtain a stock fit dp. I'm going to go catless dp at the same time as the turbo upgrade because it makes the most sense performance and install wise. It sucks to hear about these pumaspeed problem.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Does the MRX Except the stock DP? Is that what you asking ? I have a Garrett awaiting install in my basement coming up here this month. Its gonna be a mass transformation for my car...Its getting A Garrett GT2554r... A ported, polished & turbo coated Exhaust manifold and machined Garret Turbo adapter. hot side charge pipe...Ram air pipe...Whoosh intercooler....whoosh charge air Hoses..Front air splitter...side diffusers....rear Splitter.....Whoosh catted DP.....Thermal R & D Exhaust.....Koni rear orange srt-t shocks swift type r springs.....I'm sure there is more that I cant remember.....it'll be a complete 360 from stock.[raceflag]

LILIKE16ST

Does the MRX Except the stock DP? Is that what you asking ? I have a Garrett awaiting install in my basement coming up here this month. Its gonna be a mass transformation for my car...Its getting A Garrett GT2554r... A ported, polished & turbo coated Exhaust manifold and machined Garret Turbo adapter. hot side charge pipe...Ram air pipe...Whoosh intercooler....whoosh charge air Hoses..Front air splitter...side diffusers....rear Splitter.....Whoosh catted DP.....Thermal R & D Exhaust.....Koni rear orange srt-t shocks swift type r springs.....I'm sure there is more that I cant remember.....it'll be a complete 360 from stock.[raceflag]
Yes I was wondering if it accept a stock pipe down pipe as in stock fitment and that's one heck of a list you got there

Wouldn't a 360 mean it doesn't change at all?[hihi]
Regardless, it'll be a blast when you get everything on![woot]

For those interested in the X47 turbo upgrade, I have a slightly used (6k) X47 base turbo (not the + or R). If anyone is interested, please PM me to discuss.

Yes I was wondering if it accept a stock pipe down pipe as in stock fitment and that's one heck of a list you got there
Yes, MRX and X47 utilize the stock down pipe setup.

IIRC MRX requires an extra 3" aluminum coupler/reducer (depends on intake) if you want to use an aftermarket 3" intake. But everything fits perfect on the exhaust side.

This isn't a Borg Warner setup where you have to have to reroute the exhaust. It is a fairly simple swap in both cases.

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Man, I hope all the folks who have had bad experiences start coming out of the woodwork. These two experiences above are enough for me to cross any Pumaspeed product right off my list.

I guess I’m down to the Revo turbo from Ron. Hopefully none of those blow up in the next 6 months..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, I hope all the folks who have had bad experiences start coming out of the woodwork. These two experiences above are enough for me to cross any Pumaspeed product right off my list.

I guess I’m down to the Revo turbo from Ron. Hopefully none of those blow up in the next 6 months..

Sent from my iPhone
The pumaspeed turbos are perfectly fine if you don't run them too hard. People trying to chase that magic "300 HP" number are inadvertantly severely overspinning the turbo the get that kind of flow out of them. I'd say they are perfectly reliable at a few PSI lower boost, pusing about 260-280 HP (guesstimate).

It is a lot like running nitrous. Sure the 100 HP shot is fine, but is chasing that last few extra HP and stepping up to the 150 HP shot if where you messup. When you are at 8/10 or at 9/10, you are fine. It is that last tenth that always kills you.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
The pumaspeed turbos are perfectly fine if you don't run them too hard. People trying to chase that magic "300 HP" number are inadvertantly severely overspinning the turbo the get that kind of flow out of them. I'd say they are perfectly reliable at a few PSI lower boost, pusing about 260-280 HP (guesstimate).

It is a lot like running nitrous. Sure the 100 HP shot is fine, but is chasing that last few extra HP and stepping up to the 150 HP shot if where you messup. When you are at 8/10 or at 9/10, you are fine. It is that last tenth that always kills you.
You are right that This is the Problem..... they are run to hard and everyone is chasing the infamous 300whp. This is something I am not doing with my Garrett....im perfectly fine with anything between 250-275whp.[raceflag]

LILIKE16ST

You are right that This is the Problem..... they are run to hard and everyone is chasing the infamous 300whp. This is something I am not doing with my Garrett....im perfectly fine with anything between 250-275whp.[raceflag]
Yea I'd like to see 280-290 wheel from an mrx on e30-e40 that should easily be doable based on what I've seen. I don't care about the 300 number...I would like to see it obviously but not at the tradeoff of less reliability and safety. I want as much power as I can make safely with reliability in mind and longevity. I think 280-290 should easily be attainable with that goal in mine and that is fine with me.

jeff

2000 Post Club

Hundreds of people are using Puma turbos in our cars. There are a few failures. It's the way it is. After we see a few hundred Revos installed and putting in some serious mileage there are going to be just as many failures. It's just the way it is.

You are correct this is the reason for some of the Puma failures but some of the newer ones aren't failing because of overspinning them, they are brand new and failing. Kind of like my Ford OEM A/C compressor failed at 4,000 miles and had to be replaced. It happens.

Again I don't think this is the only reason they are failing....brand new out of the box failing is different from spinning it too fast failing. Sucks either way. Sorry for all who are having these issues.

All that is to say that you can't throw the baby out with the bathwater folks...we're still in single digits percentage-wise of failures. That is normal and standard margin for pretty much any product. I wouldn't go banking on MRX or Revo or any other turbo until we've seen the kind of mileage and abuse put on them that the X47s have, not to mention the volume sold.

Quick update

Called Pumaspeed Monday (5/21/18) and Tuesday (5/22/18), told them about the failure and what can be done. After the conversation on Tuesday they took my email and told me they would contact me for more info. As of Friday (5/25/18) still no email from Pumaspeed. I called Stratified on Thursday (5/24/18) to get them involved. I usually talk with Alex but he is out this week. So I was told to email them and they would forward it to Pumaspeed. So far I'm not impressed with how either company is handling the issue. I'll keep updating this as things progress. Does anyone know any forums or social media Pumaspeed is active on?

Quick update

Called Pumaspeed Monday (5/21/18) and Tuesday (5/22/18), told them about the failure and what can be done. After the conversation on Tuesday they took my email and told me they would contact me for more info. As of Friday (5/25/18) still no email from Pumaspeed. I called Stratified on Thursday (5/24/18) to get them involved. I usually talk with Alex but he is out this week. So I was told to email them and they would forward it to Pumaspeed. So far I'm not impressed with how either company is handling the issue. I'll keep updating this as things progress. Does anyone know any forums or social media Pumaspeed is active on?
Try ‘fists of fury’ and ‘fiesta st nation’ on Facebook, the owner of puma is active in one of the two.

Alex is doing COBB training and it’s a holiday weekend. I know it sucks to wait but I’m sure he’ll help you out in a few days