Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

40k in, anything I should have done?

Hi. No big issues with my car so far, other than having to replace the blend door which I did last week.

Should I ponder new plugs? I'm going to get a new air filter, probably a drop in green filter.

Any other maintenance I should consider seeing as my car isn't a spring chicken any more?

Brakes seem fine, last time I had it at the dealership (couple months, ~ 4k miles ago), they said brakes should last till spring.

There's a line in the owners manual about "check/grease U joints, etc." Can I have this done via quick lane do you think?

Zormecteon

Hey, I'm right there too. .. Did the air filter change at the last service (I have two mountune/K&N/Green Hi Flow..one in, one out) .. Have you had the cabin filter done yet? The manual says plugs at 100,000.. mountune says plugs every 10,000? I haven't done mine.. will do at 50,000. . brakes are good here too. I turn down the ESC every time I drive to save on the rear brakes, but have mountune RSR pads and brake hoses in the car every time I take it in. .. I don't know how long between coolant flushes, but it's probably time for that, at 3 years.

As a side note, especially those who do all their own maintenance..... I got the Healey so I could learn to work on cars (20 years ago). The parts are relatively cheap, everything is accessible, the systems are simple. I've pulled the engine, redone the rear springs, on and on and the most valuable thing I've learned is that I HATE working on cars. I decided when I got the FiST that I would take it in for dealer servicing and never touch it mechanically myself. I'm financially stable enough that I can have someone else do what I don't want to do. I know some members won't let or trust anyone other than themselves work on their cars and that's cool too, but I don't even want to change my own oil----anymore.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
I *think* I had cabin filter done, I'll have to check.

Love Healey's -- 3000 was my dream car as a kid, now they are legitimately expensive.

I could take it in for everything, but I've been having fun doing some of my own easy-ish work. Installed OCC, fixed climate control blend door, hardwired radar detector (last night!)

This warm season I may start on real mods....

I was thinking about plugs at 50k as well. With the amount of driving I'm doing now, it won't be long.

You have your brake hoses replaced that often? Is it something I should consider?

Hey, I'm right there too. .. Did the air filter change at the last service (I have two mountune/K&N/Green Hi Flow..one in, one out) .. Have you had the cabin filter done yet? The manual says plugs at 100,000.. mountune says plugs every 10,000? I haven't done mine.. will do at 50,000. . brakes are good here too. I turn down the ESC every time I drive to save on the rear brakes, but have mountune RSR pads and brake hoses in the car every time I take it in. .. I don't know how long between coolant flushes, but it's probably time for that, at 3 years.

As a side note, especially those who do all their own maintenance..... I got the Healey so I could learn to work on cars (20 years ago). The parts are relatively cheap, everything is accessible, the systems are simple. I've pulled the engine, redone the rear springs, on and on and the most valuable thing I've learned is that I HATE working on cars. I decided when I got the FiST that I would take it in for dealer servicing and never touch it mechanically myself. I'm financially stable enough that I can have someone else do what I don't want to do. I know some members won't let or trust anyone other than themselves work on their cars and that's cool too, but I don't even want to change my own oil----anymore.

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
The factory recommendations are quite far away, plugs at 100k miles as mentioned, trans fluid at 150k. I'm going to do those much sooner because I do low annual mileage and am just not comfortable with waiting that long, plugs by 60k and trans fluid by 50k. The manual says change the air filter at 30k , so you are due for that. It's strangely silent on brake fluid, I would flush it every 2-3 years regardless of mileage, since it attracts moisture.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
Just ordered the Mountune drop in filter, so I've got that covered. Picking up cabin air filter tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what the noise about "grease u joints" etc in the scheduled service is?

Thanks!

The factory recommendations are quite far away, plugs at 100k miles as mentioned, trans fluid at 150k. I'm going to do those much sooner because I do low annual mileage and am just not comfortable with waiting that long, plugs by 60k and trans fluid by 50k. The manual says change the air filter at 30k , so you are due for that. It's strangely silent on brake fluid, I would flush it every 2-3 years regardless of mileage, since it attracts moisture.

Zormecteon

You shouldn't have to replace the flex hoses on the brake lines for years and years, BUT.... After they've been replaces with Stainless Steel braided lines they'll last .. well they'll outlast the car itself. Also, there is less expansion than with rubber lines so the pedal should firm up a tad. There's no reason (for me) to do it until I'm having the brake pads changed, but then I may as well have the brakes fluid replaced... Do it all at the same time, as brake fluid need to be changed out every few years as well.

the cabin filters on the fiesta is kinda a pain to change, doable just sucks compared to other models. As for other things that need done I think a engine air filter and a cabin air filter are all that's needed

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
I did both air filters last week :) Cabin was a bit of a PITA, but after having done blend door it wasn't so bad.

Did brakes last week as well, turns out one pin on each of the rears was basically siezed. Got wheels balanced on Monday, which got rid of some highway vibration.

Car is driving very well now, and it feels good to have done some work on it myself. Plugs and tranny fluid at the beginning of spring!

the cabin filters on the fiesta is kinda a pain to change, doable just sucks compared to other models. As for other things that need done I think a engine air filter and a cabin air filter are all that's needed