Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stock rims for autocross?

So I have the opportunity to get another set of stock rims for cheap and I'm just wondering if I should? I'm wanting to just use these as my cheap set for autocross. Are stock wheels good for autocross or should I just save my 250 for a better set? What do you all think?

Thanks

I don't know the best size wheel and tire for autocross (yet, just bought my FiST and it's snowing), but I know the OEM wheels are way too heavy for my tastes. I'm sure someone else will chime in with more accurate suggestions.

OP
Thread Starter #3
Yeah I guess to add I've never done autocross before but what I read is that it's nice to have separate set of wheels. I am approaching autocross like I don't want to buy stuff before I try it and see if I like it. Basically I want to autocross on a budget as easily as possible day in and day out. How did you guys begin autocross? Did you just use your daily tires and then just replace them more often?

Thanks

i auto crossed my fiesta last season on stock rims. i would say pickup the rims, set them aside or put some decent tires on and see how you like it.. if not at least you have a spare set of rims for winter tires.. then if you like auto crossing pick up some light waight rims. in the future. the stock rims are heavy at about 25lbs

So I have the opportunity to get another set of stock rims for cheap and I'm just wondering if I should? I'm wanting to just use these as my cheap set for autocross. Are stock wheels good for autocross or should I just save my 250 for a better set? What do you all think?

Thanks
The oem wheels are perfectly fine for autocross. I often see fast drivers with no mods, other than tires, smash people who waste tons of cash on things like lighter wheels. The fastest FiST driver Ive talked to about AutoX has 16's primarily because they will lower you as long as theyre mixed with a short tire... he came in 4th (nationaly) this year. Go on tirerack.com... look for "project str wheels and tires" both of those guys are top level drivers.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Go on tirerack.com... look for "project str wheels and tires" both of those guys are top level drivers.
That's the first time I've seen that, or even heard about it, and it is GREAT NEWS to me (the whole wheel weight thing NOT making any actual measurable difference in their autocross lap times, despite their 'seat of the pants butt dyno', and admittedly by them, pure Physics saying otherwise!). [:)] [coolsmile]

But, it's funny how all of the 'no mass at all' ONLY wheel weight weenies on here never bring this video/test up at all (and I am SURE that IF they did, it would ONLY be to dismiss it totally and irrefutably). [popcorn] playful-> [poke]

OP
Thread Starter #8
I had a hard time believing that like 2 lbs would make a difference. But if I'm not mistaken there are not a lot of performance tires offered in the stock size?

I think they cited 3 lbs per wheel. In my limited experience, the choice hasn't been that narrow. Saving 10lbs per wheel - or more, over an OEM or any other wheel - may just be measurable. A nice video, though, and will impact my purchasing when there are only a couple of pounds per wheel to be saved.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I had a hard time believing that like 2 lbs would make a difference. But if I'm not mistaken there are not a lot of performance tires offered in the stock size?
Not "a lot", but still more currently than the ever popular for the 15x8 crowd, 225/45-15, which has ONE option (the 200 tread wear, BFG Rival S) which is not an R compound, under 100 tread wear, autocross/road race SLICK. [wink]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I really like the stock wheels
I WISH I could as well, and on some colors/setups, in black, they do look OK to me, but I personally knew before buying this car that I would HAVE TO change them (even if it was my single and only mod), even if only for aesthetic reasons. [:(]

OP
Thread Starter #14
Yeah i definitely think the stock could look better I have black ones now my kona blue and it works well. I think the black kinda adds to the appearance that you aren't just in a regular car and that it's a special model. I wish I sat in the recaros however just wonder if they were worth it?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It kind of sounds like he just wants to do autocross for fun, and does not care where they class him.

I will probably do the same, and I don't care if they throw me into a full-on /Modified class (or the maximal 'street touring/prepared' class), as I want my car the way I want it, and refuse to 'build' to any stupid/draconian rule specs. [wink]

OP
Thread Starter #18
Yeah I am just getting introduced to autocross looks like I'm going to be doing scca unless I can find something different. I just want to be able to do it in my daily as easy and practical as possible. I agree that building a car around rules seems unfulfilling. I have just done research on stock or street classifications, cause that's probably what I'll have, but are FiST's fun\competitive in other more modified classes?

Thanks