Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Switch fog light default behavior

Anyone tried to or know of a way to flip the default behavior of the fog light switch such that the switch being pushed in means fogs on?

I want to use the fogs most of the the time but still have the option to disable them if needed.

I know that if I leave the lights in auto mode with the switch pulled out, the fogs stay on but I don't like using auto, it toggles off/on too much in twilight. Plus I wish they'd turn on only when the parking brake is off.

I'm sure I can figure out how to wire this with an external switch bypassing the fog function in the stock switch but wanted to put the feelers out if this has been done before?

brbauer2

snip
I know that if I leave the lights in auto mode with the switch pulled out, the fogs stay on...
snip
Fogs are Auto just like the lights when in auto mode...

As for switching the behavior, I would look into getting a headlamp switch and see if you can disassemble it enough to swap the Fog's contacts so off becomes on and vice versa.

Zormecteon

It's not a programming thing, it's a physical contact. What you're asking is akin to asking a light switch in a house to function in reverse, but without turning it upside down, and that doesn't even go into the fact that its a multi function switch to begin with. ... I'm not saying it CAN"T be done, but....... good luck with that.

OP
allpurposeben
Thread Starter #4
Fogs are Auto just like the lights when in auto mode...
Right, when the switch is pulled out but that's kinda beside the point as I stated, I don't use the auto mode. It vacillates between on and off too easily for my taste.

OP
allpurposeben
Thread Starter #5
It's not a programming thing, it's a physical contact. What you're asking is akin to asking a light switch in a house to function in reverse, but without turning it upside down, and that doesn't even go into the fact that its a multi function switch to begin with. ... I'm not saying it CAN"T be done, but....... good luck with that.
I wouldn't need to modify the switch at all in that case, I'd just bypass it with my own set a of switches wired to do what I'm asking for, pretty simple.

But you hit on the key question, are you sure it's not a programming thing and that the switch isn't just a switch sending CANbus traffic to the BCM to run the lights? I ask because of the existence of the auto mode. I don't think the switch houses the logic for determining when in auto if lights should be on or off, it just tells the BCM that the lights are in auto mode. The BCM then reads the light sensor and then manages the lights themselves and also tells the MFD to go into night or day mode.

To answer the question I'd need to see the wiring diagrams for the switch, which I don't have. Hence I asked if anyone had messed with bypassing the switch before I take the time to remove the switch and back probe it to see what exactly it's doing.