Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

OffTheWall503's 2016 Magnetic Build Thread

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #82
Suspension parts are in, Bilstein B8 and Swift Spec-R. I also ordered factory bump stops, strut mount and boot for the front dampers.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #84
Car looks awesome man! Cant wait to see it on those B8's! Interested to get your feedback on those dampers as well.
Thanks! Can't wait to get the suspension in, I hate the occasionally rubbing I get from the front wheels.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #85
Received the suspension parts from Tasca to assemble the front dampers with the springs. Here's the mockup picture:

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #87
I was able to get off work early today and install my new suspension. I used Bilstein B8s and Swift Spec-R springs. I purchased all the other strut related parts from Tasca Parts on here, the part numbers you need:

Strut mount (2): C1BZ-3A197-DA

Strut mount bearing (2): 8V5Z-18198-B

Strut bellow/boot (2): 8V5Z-18A047-A

Bump stop (2): C1BZ-3020-B

Spring insulator (2): CV1Z-5414-A

Optional
Rear shock upper mount (2): 8V5Z-18A161-A

Total price paid with shipping: $95.77

The quality of the Bilsteins is hard to beat. I purchased these from a member on here who only had them for 50 miles or so, so I was able to save a bit of money compared to retail. They were still practically new. The Swift Spec-R springs are also very nice looking. I used this guide for torque specs on all the nuts/bolts. https://performanceparts.ford.com/download/instructionsheets/FordInstM-FR3-FAEB.pdf

The front assemblies all put together with the Swift Spec-R box

Bilstein/Swift compared to Stock/H&R, you can tell the height difference between the B8 and stock dampers

Front installed

Swift vs H&R Super Sport rear spring

Stock rear damper vs Bilstein B8, again the B8 is shorter. I used the stock nut for the upper mount because a few members reported noise with the Bilstein nuts.

Rear damper and springs installed shot

Height shot after a few miles of driving, it will settle over the next few weeks

Comparison of before with the H&R Super Sport springs

Money shot through the wheel well

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #89
As of now no rubbing but that doesn't mean much.

I can finally take turns with confidence. For the past 2 weeks I had to gingerly take turns and make note of my angle, which pretty much eliminated the possibility of ever doing spirited driving. I hated having to avoid every little thing in the road, the ride was rough. I can't say if that was more the stock dampers or the H&R Super Sports. I honestly didn't hate the setup with my 16" Sparco wheels, but that made the car even lower due to slightly smaller overall wheel/tire diameter. I never rubbed with these wheels but scrapped my driveway every time no matter how what angle I came in at.

That B8 Swift / Rota combo is spot on height wise and looks perfect. Very curious how it rides now compared to stock or on lowered springs especially how bouncy it feels. Also where did you get your wheels? Thanks

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That B8 Swift / Rota combo is spot on height wise and looks perfect.
+1!

It sits 'right' now, and does not look too 'slammed' at all.
More importantly, it will handle much better now, and damp road 'irregularities'/problems much better than before. [thumb]

Eventually, I will do the same using Koni Sport yellows and Spec Rs, or a GC/Koni coil over conversion with Swift 2.5" I.D. springs on them. ;)

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #92
That B8 Swift / Rota combo is spot on height wise and looks perfect. Very curious how it rides now compared to stock or on lowered springs especially how bouncy it feels. Also where did you get your wheels? Thanks
Thank you, sir! I will post more impressions over the next week since it's a little premature.

I bought my wheels from this seller on eBay, received my wheels in 3 days!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTA-WHEEL-...-FORD-FOCUS-LIGHTWEIGHT-17-LBS-/302234825367/

Thank you, sir! I will post more impressions over the next week since it's a little premature.

I bought my wheels from this seller on eBay, received my wheels in 3 days!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROTA-WHEEL-...-FORD-FOCUS-LIGHTWEIGHT-17-LBS-/302234825367/
Thanks I think I'm going to spring for a set, I already have sparco's but those Rota's are just boss. Just what I've been looking for and hopefully will look good with my molten orange

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #94
If you are keen to something a little less rub-prone there are sets in 17x7.5 as well.

Kazz

Not a setup I'm currently considering. But I have to say that you did a great job with pics, etc. putting it all together for folks here. Hope it's all you want it to be!

Same seller I bought my wheels from, great service. But so I didn't copy you I had them import the new Rota Recce wheels... they are at home but I'm away at work and I was hoping I can be first one with them on a ST. But now they have them up on ebay sad face! Lol.
Stance looks awesome. And I'm working my way through the 50 page euro headlight install and Wendy has a set of lights coming my way! Thanks for being a trailblazer!

Last edited:
If you are keen to something a little less rub-prone there are sets in 17x7.5 as well.
What are pros and cons of the wider wheel?

I understand that the possibility of rubbing with 17x8 is more but other than that ? Any noticeable aesthetics ?

Still can't decide whether to order 17x7.5 or 17x8. I drive aggressively in the streets. Take sharp/fast corners on highway ramps etc.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #98
Well, the cons of the 17x8 is that due to their wider size they are slightly heavier, but I think the only difference is about 1 pound.

Also concerning the fitment difference, both are +40 offset. The difference is just the 7.5 vs 8 inch width, so the 8 inch wheel will stick out further 1/4 of an inch both out and in, if that makes sense.

If you are on stock suspension, I'd say get the 17x8 and have no worries. I would however carefully consider the tire size. If going 17x8 then I highly recommend 215/40/17, 17x7.5 can get away with 205/40/17 or even the 215/40/17 like mentioned if you want a slightly beefier look.

If you are lowered, just take into account the above info. Feel free to keep an eye on my thread as I post impressions of the suspension. So far, I can immediately tell that the Bilstein dampers absorb road imperfections much better. The ride is definitely more smooth and there were some things I used to feel on my daily commute that I did not feel going to work this morning.

I also need to play with my tire pressure settings because I'm using the door jam recommended 39psi in the front and 36psi in the rear, I have a feeling this is making the ride way more stiff than it should be even though it's the recommended pressure. I may experiment and try 36/33 and see how that works.

Well, the cons of the 17x8 is that due to their wider size they are slightly heavier, but I think the only difference is about 1 pound.

Also concerning the fitment difference, both are +40 offset. The difference is just the 7.5 vs 8 inch width, so the 8 inch wheel will stick out further 1/4 of an inch both out and in, if that makes sense.

If you are on stock suspension, I'd say get the 17x8 and have no worries. I would however carefully consider the tire size. If going 17x8 then I highly recommend 215/40/17, 17x7.5 can get away with 205/40/17 or even the 215/40/17 like mentioned if you want a slightly beefier look.

If you are lowered, just take into account the above info. Feel free to keep an eye on my thread as I post impressions of the suspension. So far, I can immediately tell that the Bilstein dampers absorb road imperfections much better. The ride is definitely more smooth and there were some things I used to feel on my daily commute that I did not feel going to work this morning.

I also need to play with my tire pressure settings because I'm using the door jam recommended 39psi in the front and 36psi in the rear, I have a feeling this is making the ride way more stiff than it should be even though it's the recommended pressure. I may experiment and try 36/33 and see how that works.
Thanks again for such detailed explanation. Your time is much appreciated. Yeah definitely looking forward to get springs on stock dampers. Thinking may be Swift springs with 215/40/17 on 17x8.. I don't want rubbing issues though :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk