Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2016 ST grinding, rattling nosie engine problem

adriank9

Hello from Poland Guys,

Maybe you will know what is this...
Apart of rattling like a diesel engine on idle my 16' Fiesta ST has that grinding, rattling nosie when revving worm but only between 1000-1300rpm and back when rpms falling down rattles in that range. Do you know what is that? It seems like they were variators (variable valve timing) broken. No such a problem on cold. Someone told me it may be an auxiliary belt but on cold it would not make that noise?
Apogee at 1:00

[video=youtube;z4c7zlS5vqA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4c7zlS5vqA[/video]

Finally, someone who had the same noise I currently have. Did you get it fixed? What did the dealer tell you?

dmb

A/C clutch? see if its turning on and off. im just guessing... that would drive me crazy and i'm half deaf.

It drives me insane, and the thing you can't really hear it when driving. I heard it because the reverb of the sound bouncing off nearby medians on the expressway or on the street. I initially thought it was part of the bad batch of clutches, and replaced clutch, flywheel, and added an LSD(why not, already have the transmission out.) But still have the dreaded sound, I will have to check the AC though?

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Camshaft timing solenoid or even the actuator on the end of the affected camshaft. Take it to the dealer for warranty.
Your variable valve timing is not variable valve timing. What year is your car?

The fix would be the new head and a new valvetrain.

2015....great that's not what I want to hear cause I'm 2000 miles out of warranty.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Sounds like something rubbing and catching. If it was engine it would be yack yack yack constant not skip. Look around to see if there is a shield loose and contacting the belt.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

38,815 miles. It looks like one of the pulleys has a slight wobble to it. Need to investigate.

redmoe

I thought the powertrain warranty is 5yr/50k. If it is the engine you still may have a chance at the warranty.

redmoe

5 yr...60k

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk
yep my bad 5yr/60k. Someone posted that they got their engine covered with an admitted tune. Could be worth a trip to the dealer. Just don't authorize a tear down without a confirmation that it is covered.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Shavings in oil? Definitely sounds mechanical. The cams make one rotations for every two rotations of the crank; the noise seems to occur too rapidly to be a top-end, but doesn't sound like the typical bottom-end that I'm familiar with. The valve train has buckets and I've not known those to have issues. Wondering if this is timing chain/guide/tensioner related.

As a test, drain the oil and temporarily put in much heavier weight. Don't drive on that, just see whether the noise disappears or changes. That would help confirm whether the noise is internal.

You can eliminate an engine mount by putting a jack underneath the oil pan. (on wood to spread contact area)

It'll set a code, but one might be able to unplug the electrical connectors for the two VCTs (Variable Camshaft Timing solendoids). (one connector is on the front-passenger, other on the back-passenger of engine) The VCTs are not to be confused with the CMPs (CaMshaft Position sensors). I'm guessing *this* engine will not run without the CMPs, and will run without the VCTs; but don't really know. Some EEC-IV engines I know would run without CMP input.

You can temporarily remove the serpentine belt to eliminate accessory items. Alternator light and some codes may be set.

dmb

3/4's of the motor is on top. pull the valve cover and have a look. if it's shim and bucket, i bet a bucket is cracked enough for the shim to make some noise. this will not get better and could lead to bad things.

Ford Community Posts