Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Verifying RMM is installed correctly?

Hi all,

I got my '14 used, and it came with a Cobb RMM already installed.

I still have some of the 1-2 clunk, which people say the RMM helps alleviate.

I've peeked at it when it was up on a lift, but didn't see anything obviously amiss.

What would be the procedure next time it is up to make sure it is installed correctly?

Thanks.

-L

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
When you say clunk do you mean the sound or the transmission gear shifting feeling?

If sound check the tip motor mounts. Loose bolts or worse would have a similar affect.

If tranny think to replace the fluid. Helps a lot.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
There's no weird sound, it is just the feeling in pedal/hand/butt. 1-2 just feels clunky/sloppy, sort of as described by lots of people, but I figured having the RMM on would alleviate it.

Planning on doing trans fluid soon, will probably go with the Motul 300 everyone recommends.

Thanks!

When you say clunk do you mean the sound or the transmission gear shifting feeling?

If sound check the tip motor mounts. Loose bolts or worse would have a similar affect.

If tranny think to replace the fluid. Helps a lot.

You might also check the torquing on the bolt that holds the RMM. It is supposed to be 50. There is also a nylon (?) washer that comes with the RMM. )

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Thanks. I did check that the nylon washer was there visually when I had it on stands to do brakes last week. I should have it on a lift this spring with access to a decent torque wrench and will check the bolts.

You might also check the torquing on the bolt that holds the RMM. It is supposed to be 50. There is also a nylon (?) washer that comes with the RMM. )

Hi all,

I got my '14 used, and it came with a Cobb RMM already installed.

I still have some of the 1-2 clunk, which people say the RMM helps alleviate.

I've peeked at it when it was up on a lift, but didn't see anything obviously amiss.

What would be the procedure next time it is up to make sure it is installed correctly?

Thanks.

-L
Clunk? I understand it helps with the slamming of the engine against the firewall. 1-2 is the biggest change in gear ratio. This is the shift that typically breaks stuff. Does the engine feel as tho is is wobbling back and forth like before?

OP
L
Thread Starter #8
Thanks for posting, reminded me to followup on this.

I've got a friend who is a much better driver than I am who helped me diagnose this. I've always thought the clutch should be very binary, in or out, don't ride it except 0-1. The 1-2 shift in the FiST is more like going going into first. You have to be slower on the clutch out. Concentrating on that for a week, rewriting my muscle memory, fixed this problem.

Clunk? I understand it helps with the slamming of the engine against the firewall. 1-2 is the biggest change in gear ratio. This is the shift that typically breaks stuff. Does the engine feel as tho is is wobbling back and forth like before?