Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

FMIC/Exhaust/Intake order vs. tuning.

Hey all,

I've replaced the panel with the Mountune version on my '14 already. Planning on doing FMIC and catback relatively soon, with a remote custom tune from Randy.

Is there any reason I shouldn't do the FMIC and cat-back prior to getting tuned? Do either necessitate remapping to not do something dumb?

First timer to real modifications.

Thanks!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Do mods first then the tune. The tune will reflect the modifications on the vehicle at that time and revisions cost money if you have a custom or flash tune (most of the time).

You might as well go stage 3 then get the tune. You can always run the Cobb off the shelf tunes as you upgrade gradually.

From your post and seeing how stated a remote tune, then yes I would upgrade first then tune. No harm in those mods on a stock calibration.

In my case I tuned first and kind of installed my intake and plugs at the same time. I am doing other mods like FMIC and CBE but in the spring time. I just didn't want to wait that long and it won't cost me anything when I need to update my tune. You get more from a tune then you do any other mod, but to take full advantage of mods you need to tune, kind of a catch 22 but it depends on what you want. I mod in stages and overall performance/fun is my goal. By doing this I go for the least expensive items first and then build up from there. This is how I decide on what mods need priority and go from there. I update my tunes with logs and email so no real time crunch and it's as easy as sending a log if something needs to be addressed, or I upgraded. If I was doing a remote tune though I would have all the mods I planned on already installed so you can take advantage of the dyno time. Personally I would only remote tune for more complicated things like Aux fuel, or turbo upgrades but either way it doesn't matter.

OP
L
Thread Starter #5
From your post and seeing how stated a remote tune, then yes I would upgrade first then tune. No harm in those mods on a stock calibration.
Thanks, this is what I was really worried about.

Crooked Letta said:
In my case I tuned first and kind of installed my intake and plugs at the same time. I am doing other mods like FMIC and CBE but in the spring time. I just didn't want to wait that long and it won't cost me anything when I need to update my tune. You get more from a tune then you do any other mod, but to take full advantage of mods you need to tune, kind of a catch 22 but it depends on what you want. I mod in stages and overall performance/fun is my goal. By doing this I go for the least expensive items first and then build up from there. This is how I decide on what mods need priority and go from there. I update my tunes with logs and email so no real time crunch and it's as easy as sending a log if something needs to be addressed, or I upgraded. If I was doing a remote tune though I would have all the mods I planned on already installed so you can take advantage of the dyno time. Personally I would only remote tune for more complicated things like Aux fuel, or turbo upgrades but either way it doesn't matter.
I'm probably not going to mess even with down pipe, because Illinois. As per tune, there isn't anyone local to me, so as near as I can tell, getting Randy to do mine will be best option....