Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Good read: 5 ways people ruin their cars

Thanks for the warning. It would be a few years, I like to keep cars 3-4 years and at least pay off the Fiesta. The Golf R is on my list but I have heard of reliability issues as you mention which is probably one of the reasons why I picked the Fiesta even after test driving the R. Also I've had cars like the R before so it was time for a change.

All in all Ford is probably way more reliable than VW. Mods probably only exacerbate unreliability issues.
Yeah its no problem man! And I dont blame you on getting the fiesta payed off before getting another car. And your right on the mods not helping on the unreliability. Sometimes I still think if i wouldn't done any mods to my GTI then maybe it would have done better. But I'm not a stock kinda guy. If I cant do mods then I dont want it! haha!

I like this article a lot of good points for a guy new to the car modding scene. I'm more of a gun guy but a lot of the guys in my shop are influencing me to start doing some stuff to my car. Definitely going to keep this in mind when I start.

I can personally attest to the mod vs reliability, and knowing were to stop. However there is always some one that needs to have "a bigger boat" and those people pave the way for others as far as knowing what to expect and how far one would like to go based on their own preferences. So we may not agree but we should be happy that there is a diverse group of people who have different preferences and opinions.

Great share [twothumb]

Since I'm in Europe and modifying your car is night impossible here unless it's a dedicated track weapon. HIs last point is the best: mod the driver.

Siestarider

Good part about spending your $ on driver mods is they don't break and you get to keep 'em after the car is gone. In fact, driver mods even make other cars quicker and safer.

JasonHaven

This article basically sums up why I am taking a very slow road when it comes to modifications. I've been on Stage 2 for a while now, while I continue to keep an eye on how things go for hybrid guys. :)

(also doesn't hurt that I'm a cheap bastard)

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I'd agree with most of that as I'm guilty of most of that and I realize it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can relate to this. I went too far with my mazdaspeed miata. at least 8k in mods but probably more. in the end the car became not fun to drive on the street yet still had issues with the PCV spitting oil into my intake on the track. the final things that really transformed it into a not so great car was a turbo upgrade to a big turbo so it was out of the boost more often on the street and the track brake pads which were rather noisy. And it left me carless for 2 rather cold winters. I finally made the decision to sell it after some maintenance issues had me riding my motorcycle into work in 17 degree weather and sometimes heavy rain at 40 degrees over a winter. So I sold the miata and got the Fiesta ST because it was much more affordable and now with an intercooler and stage 2 tune it is very fun to drive both on the street, commuting, and in the mountians. I am now more of the opinion that you should improve on the car but try to change the nature of the car into something its not. I tried to make my miata into a track focused daily but that left me stranded for 2 long winters while it was down for maintinance and made the car not so much fun to drive 95% of the time. I may go to stage 3 power with the fiesta and possibly some light suspension parts and probably some good tires when needed but I will not be going full on big turbo because I like the nature of the little turbo the car comes with. If I wanted a car like that I would have shosen something more focused on heavy power but I wanted a car that was quick and fun to drive always if not so track focused. If I want to do lots of track time I will get another miata and set it up

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Great read. I agree with almost all of it. I've never modded myself into an unreliable car. More out of fear than common sense. My modded cars have always been daily drivers and I couldn't afford constant issues.

Now, I have modded myself into hating my car. Polyurethane bushings/mounts on EVERYTHING makes for a very responsive car but I lived in NYC at the time so it was just beating after beating. I swear I could feel every pebble and bottle cap I ran over lol It was torture.

That pogo stick of a car taught me to build for the street, not for the track. Too often we can get caught up in "cuz racecar" and just throw parts at a car forgetting we have to drive these "racecars" on rutted roads and shitty weather.

I've been very careful with my choices for the FiST. Adjustable dampening, for instance, so that I can dial it in for comfort or racecar. I chose one of the quieter exhausts as well. My mods thus far improve the car in ways that won't create discomfort or really effect reliability. Even my tune is just a strat OTS on a stock turbo.

BUT, I am closely watching the progress of the hybrid turbos and will continue to for at least another year. I want to be sure that they prove to be reliable and only time will tell.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Regarding the R... I had MKiv .:R32 and adored it. I would have bought one used but goddammit they STILL cost around 20 for a clean, low mile example. I regret selling mine. So yea, I cross shopped the new R but I couldn't justify the cost knowing I wanted to mod it. The FiST left some room to mod and still spend less overall than a new R. And be pretty dam close to it in performance.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk