Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Engine break-in procedure inquiry

Hey everyone,

I recently purchased a new 2016 Magnetic FiST about a month ago. The vehicle only had 11 miles on the clock upon taking ownership, I seriously could not have been happier to see that!

Anyhow, I read the owners manual and ST supplement on engine break-in and had a question I was hoping to get a few opinions on.

As of right now I currently have 460 miles on the vehicle after owning it for about a month. Since I have been driving my new FiST, the engine has never seen above 2,500 RPM?s with almost all shifting done at 2,000 RPM?s. I installed an Auto Meter boost/vacuum gauge within a week of ownership and can say with 100% certainty that my engine has also never seen any boost during the 460 miles that I have been driving it. Closest I have been to boost was 2 lbs. of vacuum.

So my question is, am I safe to assume that my engine is being broken-in in the best way? I just want to verify that I am not driving the engine too hard. I know this is a heavily debated topic(with numerous threads and stickys) but I?m just looking for a bit of guidance. The owner manual and ST supplement are very sparse on details regarding the break-in procedure, as I?m sure everyone knows.

Anyhow, any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm impressed by your patience. However, I think you may have been a bit extreme.

Some Guy On The Internet

OP
T
Thread Starter #4
BoostBumps - Thank you for the thread link, not sure how I passed by that "sticky". I apologize for posting a similar thread.

Hijinx - I know exactly what you mean about the patience, I just wanted to make sure that the engine was taken care of properly. This is my first new vehicle so taking it easy on the motor was the route I decided to go.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
BoostBumps - Thank you for the thread link, not sure how I passed by that "sticky". I apologize for posting a similar thread.

Hijinx - I know exactly what you mean about the patience, I just wanted to make sure that the engine was taken care of properly. This is my first new vehicle so taking it easy on the motor was the route I decided to go.
I understand. Hope you have some fun. The car is a blast.

Some Guy On The Internet

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I cannot even comprehend how you kept it totally out of boost for that many miles. [???:)]

IF I had tried that around here, EVERYONE would be leaning on their horns ALL OF THE TIME when they encountered me on the road, AND some would even be driven to road rage towards me for the 20+ second 0-60 times needed to stay out of boost with this car.

Do you live in the less densely populated/traffic laden areas on the outer suburbs of that city, therefore making the molasses slow acceleration a possibility??

I tried to take it easy for the first 250 miles or so, but STILL had to get into WOT/boost in order to save my life at times even within that mileage period.
In that thread you will read about some who advocate (and actually practiced) the whole "drive it like you stole it" right off of the dealer's lot attitude towards break-in citing the whole ring seating thing, and the break it in like you plan to use it stance/mindset, whether that is 'correct' or not. [dunno]

I'm a hard break-in kinda guy, as are a couple of my co-workers, who are also performance-oriented techs. My car saw the 1/4 mile at 2200km on the odometer. Ran it up and down the RPM on and off boost to redline from 82km, only because it came as a dealer trade. Otherwise it would've been sooner. 6000km oil change had zero oil burned and negligible in the PCV. I have a catch can installed now, so we'll see what it looks like after 10K. The rings in an OEM engine are CrMo and hard as hell. They need to see a quick and hard break in or they glaze and you'll have blowby and oil consumption issues. Maybe nothing worth writing home about but still there. It was an issue for GM with the LS engines in their full size truck engines around 2010.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I cannot even comprehend how you kept it totally out of boost for that many miles. [???:)]

IF I had tried that around here, EVERYONE would be leaning on their horns ALL OF THE TIME when they encountered me on the road, AND some would even be driven to road rage towards me for the 20+ second 0-60 times needed to stay out of boost with this car.

Do you live in the less densely populated/traffic laden areas on the outer suburbs of that city, therefore making the molasses slow acceleration a possibility??

I tried to take it easy for the first 250 miles or so, but STILL had to get into WOT/boost in order to save my life at times even within that mileage period.
In that thread you will read about some who advocate (and actually practiced) the whole "drive it like you stole it" right off of the dealer's lot attitude towards break-in citing the whole ring seating thing, and the break it in like you plan to use it stance/mindset, whether that is 'correct' or not. [dunno]
For my personal experience: I purchase my car with about 30 miles. About half of those came from me test driving it several times as I came to my conclusion. My break-in was only a little more strenuous than moderate. I barely followed the manual. I did change oil at 100 miles, 500 and 1000, though. As 500 rolled over, I was installing my first downpipe and tune. My first engine last for 30k... We THREW everything PLUS the kitchen sink to see what it would take before it let go. 36psi, all the timing, race gas, half mile WOT runs; she held up to 3-4 runs like that.

Point is that our engines are pretty stout. If you're going to be modding, it's all in the tune. For my specific case, I don't feel my break-in made anything worse for the wear.

Some Guy On The Internet

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I too wanted to change the oil/filter that often in the beginning, but never had the opportunity to use the garage for it (the HOA where I live fines you $50.00 for the first occurrence of you working on your car, EVEN ON YOUR OWN DRIVEWAY!!, increasing by $100.00 for every time after that). YES, I have to find a way to MOVE OUTTA HERE!!!
So my brother FINALLY moved his POS Boxster out of the garage for a couple of hours and I was able to change the oil and install the RMM and DV @1200 miles.

I do NOT trust the quick change places, nor the dealer to do oil changes AT ALL! [nono]

I followed the "breakin 101" very carefully. Oil changes at 100, 400, 1000,5000 and recently 10000 miles. I was mindful of engine speed the whole time. My max after 1000 was 3500 rpm. 3500 in 6th results in an amusing highway velocity! Has my break in approach increased the longevity of my car? I have no clue. I think you are on the right track.

DangerMouse

I kinda drove it like an ass from the start, can't help it, too much fun. I have not been nice to my car, but I did change the oil at 1500 miles, I'll do it again at 5000.

It's been 11 years since I purchased a brand new car, then I just drove nice for 1000 miles, never had any issues with that car though.

I also took delivery with 11 miles, in January of this year... broke mine in pretty hard. Varied RPMs as per manual (so no consistent highway cruising,) but other than that, it saw heavy throttle when possible from around 150 miles. Doesn't use a drop of oil between drains, runs strong, and seems to be quite efficient on fuel - when I'm not driving it like a maniac.