Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

DHM Intercooler... Tial BOV... Help

So I think I may end up going with the DHM Intercooler and Crash Bar. Here's my question... I see that you can opt for the Tial BOV on the intercooler. If you do this what happens to the stock BOV? Do you get a plug for it? Do you use it? I'm a bit confused and couldn't find any info searching. Thanks for the help!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
You can simply unplug the connector going to the stock BPV. It will throw a code but you can have it eliminated with a tune.

OP
M
Thread Starter #3
You can simply unplug the connector going to the stock BPV. It will throw a code but you can have it eliminated with a tune.
So is the stock one still active? Could this cause any boost issues? I'm still learning on this so I appreciate the help!

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
So is the stock one still active? Could this cause any boost issues? I'm still learning on this so I appreciate the help!
No, it's not; when you pull the plug the ECU will no longer be able to actuate the stock BPV, but it will throw a CEL and a code.

OP
M
Thread Starter #5
Ah, I gotcha. So what is the benefit of adding the Tial BOV to the DHM Intercooler rather than just upgrade the stock BOV?

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ah, I gotcha. So what is the benefit of adding the Tial BOV to the DHM Intercooler rather than just upgrade the stock BOV?
The stock is a BPV (ByPass Valve). Some say that an upgrade to the BPV with a DV+ makes a nice improvement. A BOV vents to atmosphere and makes, depending upon your view, a lovely racy sound or an annoying and persistent duck call sound. It will also place you into a man-killer SCCA autocross class if you decide to autocross your FiST..., and you should!

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
The stock BPV is an Open/Close actuation. My belief is that electronic BPV/BOVs would be great if they were more scalable. But that would be more complicated than necessary... Anyway, this Open/Close situation means that once you pull off the throttle some, it's going to go be fully opened; no in between.

The benefit of the Tial is that partial throttle response is improved. Because it's a vacuum actuated valve there's more than Open/Closed.

Some Guy On The Internet

Someone local to me mentioned that he has this setup and he's having problems with the car in the rain. That the water effects how the car runs with the tial bov on the intercooler mounted in the front. Does anyone else have problems driving their fist in the rain with this setup?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Someone local to me mentioned that he has this setup and he's having problems with the car in the rain. That the water effects how the car runs with the tial bov on the intercooler mounted in the front. Does anyone else have problems driving their fist in the rain with this setup?
I don't know where to begin with this... I've had to, on occasion, take my car through a car wash *shivers* It's been driven in snowfall. It's been driven in pouring rain. DHM didn't even have the grille on for the longest and there weren't problems. He'd have to intentionally spray water into it IF it's open at idle. Otherwise, it's closed...and when it opens, air comes out.

Some Guy On The Internet

SFP

Tell your friend to double check his connections on the hose running to it and the pcv evap system as I had the same issue and it seems to have went away with new hoses and some better clamps.

Otherwise it's a solid setup and pretty sweet!

Yeah I had a feeling it was bs when he mentioned this and I kinda wish I would've went with that setup when I ordered my race intercooler and crash bar combo for the Black Friday deal but I guess for now I'll just run my turbosmart setup. Thank you guys for the info!

Thanks for the reply. I just installed the dhm set up and was a little concerned. I'll have to ask Russ what spring is in it. Yes it closes as soon as the throttle is opened. It seems very quiet. Can't hear it at all with the windows up.

Woods247

2000 Post Club
Old thread but I just installed this setup. I originally had the 8psi spring provided by DHM and it was open at idle. I emailed TiAL and they said it should be closed at idle. I switched to the 11psi spring and it’s closed at idle now. My question is, under hard acceleration it’s consistently hissing loud all the way to the chirp when I come off the throttle. My boost level is about 1psi lower than it was with the Cobb IC and stock BPV. Shouldn’t it be quiet until I’m off WOT and the TiAL BOV chirps? It just sounds bad. Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhchirp!

Edit: I’m still stock turbo, stock AirBox with a dropin and Whoosh induction hose. [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION] any ideas?