Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How Do Tuners Support Reverting To OEM Should It Change?

I'm new, so forgive my ignorance, please.

I understand devices like the Cobb AccessPort and Diablo, etc. can carry 91 octane tunes, 93 octane tunes, economy tunes, etc. I also understand at least some of them have the ability to revert a car to a stock tune. My concern is whether they backup the OEM tune for restoring later or whether they have their own hard-wired OEM tune and no ability to change.

The reason I'm asking is what happens if Ford has some kind of recommended/required/TSB-based change to performance parameters that require a flash? Can the tuners handle when the OEM tune changes?

Thanks.

My understanding about the Cobb AP is that it copies the factory tune on your car and stores it on the device before uploading another map.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I'm new, so forgive my ignorance, please.

I understand devices like the Cobb AccessPort and Diablo, etc. can carry 91 octane tunes, 93 octane tunes, economy tunes, etc. I also understand at least some of them have the ability to revert a car to a stock tune. My concern is whether they backup the OEM tune for restoring later or whether they have their own hard-wired OEM tune and no ability to change.

The reason I'm asking is what happens if Ford has some kind of recommended/required/TSB-based change to performance parameters that require a flash? Can the tuners handle when the OEM tune changes?

Thanks.
For a TSB PCM flash, you could be locked out of using the tune and you'd be stuck on a stock tune. The tuner would create a new file based on the TSB changes. It's not a good idea to getting TSB PCM changes without contacting your tuner first, especially if your car is highly modded.

OP
Kazz
Thread Starter #4
My understanding about the Cobb AP is that it copies the factory tune on your car and stores it on the device before uploading another map.
I think I need to follow up more directly with Cobb or whichever tuner I might consider in the future. If there isn't a way to back up whichever tune I have and label it for later reference and reflash I still don't see an answer to my proposed problem.

For a TSB PCM flash, you could be locked out of using the tune and you'd be stuck on a stock tune. The tuner would create a new file based on the TSB changes. It's not a good idea to getting TSB PCM changes without contacting your tuner first, especially if your car is highly modded.
I'm not concerned about being stuck on a stock tune. I'm simply looking for a way to back up my current tune as "OEM1", say, and then, after a dealer-required reflash, backing that up as "OEM2" so that when I want to go back to stock I'm not stuck going back to an image from before the latest Ford-approved flash level.

Again, this is something I guess I need to talk with tuners about.