Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do you keep stock parts after mods?

Hi Guys

I am planning to upgrade catback, intake, AP V3, how do you guys deal with stock pipes? Do you sell it online? give it to auto shop? or keep in garage hope one day put stock back?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's always good to keep stock parts if you ever have to make a warranty claim or ever sell the car and need to go back to stock.
THIS!^^^

I don't get the selling every single stock piece off, unless you REALLY REALLY need the (less than) pennies on the dollar one gets for the factory parts OR have absolutely NO ROOM whatsoever to store them. ;)

OP
K
Thread Starter #7
Haha, yeah, I do not have enough room to put those stock parts in garage :). Also feel like once modify the car, it is hard to go back unless for sale purpose.

THIS!^^^

I don't get the selling every single stock piece off, unless you REALLY REALLY need the (less than) pennies on the dollar one gets for the factory parts OR has absolutely NO ROOM whatsoever to store them. ;)

I've read you need to either cut the stock exhaust or drop the rear axle to get it off. Besides that, yeah, keep them if you can. Any problems you may have a dealer will point to aftermarket stuff as the cause. It's a pain to switch stuff back, but it's better than being told your roll restrictor is what's causing the car to chew through brakes,or some other lame excuse to not fix your car.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Ask [MENTION=636]RAAMaudio[/MENTION] what the thousands of dollars of mods are worth when you try to sell the car. People who are looking at the FiST as a tuner car want one cheap that they can mod/tune themselves, not someone else's creation, no matter how impressive. It's counter-intuitive, but the mods are worth more individually than they they are on a car. At the same time, the market for stock parts is basically someone who happened to break that exact part when you happen to be selling or people who made the mistake of selling their stock parts and want to go back to stock. With the exception of (perhaps) the stock wheels if they are in perfect condition, I wouldn't bother trying to sell any of it.

I keep all my stock parts just in case I need them to revert back to stock or sell the car. I've modified pretty much every car I've ever owned and the stock parts with the car modified usually will bring slightly over market value for the car.

I've never reverted a car back to stock, I just sold it the way it sits with the stock parts.

Boomba Racing

1000 Post Club
ALWAYS keep stock parts for two main reasons.

1) When you go to sell your vehicle, mods never add value. You are better removing all your aftermarket parts, selling them independently, and selling the car as a stock vehicle.

2) Warranty claims. If something is easy to switch back to stock like an intake or BOV, we always recommend putting the stock part back on and not giving the dealer the "you're modified" ammunition.

I keep all my stock parts for warranty claims. I plan on keeping this car for a long time and by the time i want to sell it (5+ years) i doubt anyone will want my aftermarket bits with 50k on them.

I just put the cat back out on the front lawn (snow pile) for the junkers to grab. I will, however, keep the rest just in case.

Zormecteon

I save EVERYTHING, from the window sticker in the new car, every service record, every dime of gas, every replacement hose, EVERYTHING. If I'm correct about the value curve of this car, 30 years from now, someone will want all that stuff very badly. If I'm wrong, I'll be dead anyway.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
No point in keeping anything really, we are running out of oil, another recession is nearing etc etc. Only thing I keep is silver and gold[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Siestarider

I keep all of them for the moment. This is the first car I have used spare $ to play with mods for fun. It is an expensive hobby, but so are most good hobbies. After one trip to mountains I immediately added tracking because there are no good roads around here. That adds another layer to parts pile and peels another layer out of wallet.

My theory is sell as is, plus track bits and the parts needed to go back to stock if you can hang onto them. My car has too many track miles to feel honorable pulling the mods off and selling it as stock later.

Just for grins, I put my car through the Kelly BB instant cash questionnaire, answered yes to all mods and yes to all stock parts available. Result?

Too much information, they will get back to me.