Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do y'all think it's worth it to mix e30 at home?

Based

I just watched a video of a stage 3 93 car race a stage 3 e30 car and the e30 car really destroyed the 93 car. Now I'm debating on whether I should order e85 to my house and carry some around with me in a gas tank or something so I can mix e30 wherever I go. The reason for me having to do that is because the nearest pump to my house is 45 minutes away and there's only 4 in my whole state I think.

I guess it's ultimately up to me but I'm wondering if anyone sees any problems with my plan.

I just watched a video of a stage 3 93 car race a stage 3 e30 car and the e30 car really destroyed the 93 car. Now I'm debating on whether I should order e85 to my house and carry some around with me in a gas tank or something so I can mix e30 wherever I go. The reason for me having to do that is because the nearest pump to my house is 45 minutes away and there's only 4 in my whole state I think.

I guess it's ultimately up to me but I'm wondering if anyone sees any problems with my plan.
I think water/meth would be a better option for those in Cali. I can literally basically see an E85 station from my house and I think I pass 3-4 while going to work. So it really depends on the area you live in.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #3
I think water/meth would be a better option for those in Cali. I can literally basically see an E85 station from my house and I think I pass 3-4 while going to work. So it really depends on the area you live in.
I WISH I had e85 everywhere out here in Louisiana... Idk why but there's literally only about 5 stations in the whole state!

I WISH I had e85 everywhere out here in Louisiana... Idk why but there's literally only about 5 stations in the whole state!
Whoops, I thought by LA you meant Los Angeles. Same advice still applies. It's a LOT of work since you'll have to go a long way to get the E85, bring it back, store it somewhere, mix it etc. Once you have a water/meth system setup, you get basically the same benefits (knock resistance, octane boost, colder charge) with some additional benefits like carbon buildup cleaning. It's more cost up front, but I just don't think E85 will be worth the hassle if it's that far away.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #5
Whoops, I thought by LA you meant Los Angeles. Same advice still applies. It's a LOT of work since you'll have to go a long way to get the E85, bring it back, store it somewhere, mix it etc. Once you have a water/meth system setup, you get basically the same benefits (knock resistance, octane boost, colder charge) with some additional benefits like carbon buildup cleaning. It's more cost up front, but I just don't think E85 will be worth the hassle if it's that far away.
Really you think meth can give the same power as e30/40? I'm gonna research it.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Because you're NOT in the midwest (corn country)!! LOL

(It's the same around here, closest E85 station is almost 50 miles away!!)

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
Really you think meth can give the same power as e30/40? I'm gonna research it.
No.. short answer is no

So I've been running e40 in my car for probably 7-8 months now. There's only 2 gas stations in New Jersey that sell E85. Both are about 45 mins away. I bring three 5-gallon cans with me. That usually lasts me a month or a little over a month. I got the cans at Walmart for $11 each.

Rhinopolis

I am lucky and have an E85 station 15 minutes in either direction (East West) from where I live. My biggest gripe with E85 is determining the actual percentage of ethanol from one tank to the next.

I purchased one of those test tube ethanol testing kits that have the pre marked stick on "guages" adhered to the tube, and you fill up to a mark with water and then to another mark with fresh E85 from the pump. You shake the tube vigorously for a minute, and then let the "line" settle to what the actual percentage of ethanol in the E85 is supposed to be. Mix your E30 or whatever accordingly and per that measurement of ethanol. If you test the ethanol to be 70% then more ethanol is needed vs if you test it to be 80% etc.

The variation in ethanol from one fill up to the next can be wildly variying, and apparently the testing method isn't exact either. I tested my ethanol to be a higher concentration the last fill up with E30, and then after my tank settled I had some really high negative corrections. The person who tunes my car gave me a restricted tune (limited boost etc) until I can figure out proper fuel, and I am in the process of running down this tank and will then retest again before blending a new E30 tank.

I would prefer one of those fancy ethanol analyzer systems that have sensors to detect exactly what I am putting in my tank, but I don't know how to install those and quite frankly don't want the complexity. I would prefer if E85 were 85% ethanol every time that I fill up with no variation.......

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Does E85 lose it's potency (actual energy content, NOT octane rating) over time as quickly as E0/E10 fuel does, or is that also one of the benefits of majority ethanol blends (that it does NOT lose it's energy capacity as quickly, due to less volatility)? [dunno]

Also, as long as one is not tuned to a specific ethanol content (like on a 93 E10 tune), but can find an E85 station and put a couple of gallons into the tank, there is still a slight benefit, and no harm done, correct?

I forgot who it was, but someone on here did an experiment on a pure stock/factory tune car, and got a decent increase just from using some E85.

Rhinopolis

^^^Does E85 lose it's potency (actual energy content, NOT octane rating) over time as quickly as E0/E10 fuel does, or is that also one of the benefits of majority ethanol blends (that it does NOT lose it's energy capacity as quickly)? [dunno]
Great question and I have no idea. I am going to blend to a higher ethanol concentration than what my test tube gauge tells me (E40 vs E30), and then I will run the same tune file that I was given when I had the high negative corrections. I'm off until January 3rd, and I will sort this fuel shite out today or tomorrow. I can't stand it when my car isn't running properly.

[MENTION=5442]Fiestarawpower[/MENTION]

Once I settle my fuel issue referenced above, I will datalog for a Vdyno and post to the new thread that you linked me to. Prior to adding the 2JR, my best datalog to Vdyno was 281/276 on E30.

It is 100% worth it for the power gains... they are huge! Cheapest bang for the buck for these cars by far. I have a station 2 minutes from my house, here in AZ we only have e54... I run a 50/50% mix to get e30... But I got to admit if I didn't have a station so close to me I don't know how worth the hassle of getting it would be. Check this page out for some tips on storing..... http://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e85-ethanol/376332-storing-e85-55-gallon-drums.html

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #12
What is the power gains from stock turbo full bolt on 93 to stock turbo full bolt on e30? It seems that 93 you will be around 210whp and e30 you're only at 220whp.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I've run 4gallons of e85 + fill rest with 93

I've done 5 gallons of e85 + fill up rest 93

Same tune, same station I get e85 from, no noticeable difference.

1 gallon of e85 is the difference between e40 and ~e37 (measured with my ethanol % gauge)

It won't make a huge difference from what I can tell

Peak numbers show like 10-15 more whp on e30 for me, but there is more power and torque across the entire rpm range. It really is a pretty good difference.

Been running 93 now since it's winter here. I miss the extra power, but skinny squishy snow tires probably wouldn't like it lol.