Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member 86 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Nope
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do y'all think it's worth it to mix e30 at home?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I just watched a video of a stage 3 93 car race a stage 3 e30 car and the e30 car really destroyed the 93 car. Now I'm debating on whether I should order e85 to my house and carry some around with me in a gas tank or something so I can mix e30 wherever I go. The reason for me having to do that is because the nearest pump to my house is 45 minutes away and there's only 4 in my whole state I think.

I guess it's ultimately up to me but I'm wondering if anyone sees any problems with my plan.

Member 124 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    West Bloomfield
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Based View Post
    I just watched a video of a stage 3 93 car race a stage 3 e30 car and the e30 car really destroyed the 93 car. Now I'm debating on whether I should order e85 to my house and carry some around with me in a gas tank or something so I can mix e30 wherever I go. The reason for me having to do that is because the nearest pump to my house is 45 minutes away and there's only 4 in my whole state I think.

I guess it's ultimately up to me but I'm wondering if anyone sees any problems with my plan.
    I think water/meth would be a better option for those in Cali. I can literally basically see an E85 station from my house and I think I pass 3-4 while going to work. So it really depends on the area you live in.
    2016 GTI 6MT//2014 Fiesta ST 6MT//91 Miata 5MT

CP-E Intake, Depo IC, Depo DP, Deadhook Tuned on 93, 2J Spec BC Racing Coilover 6K/4K, TD 1.2 15x8 w/ 205/50/15 Star Specs ZII

Member 86 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Nope
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
    I think water/meth would be a better option for those in Cali. I can literally basically see an E85 station from my house and I think I pass 3-4 while going to work. So it really depends on the area you live in.
    I WISH I had e85 everywhere out here in Louisiana... Idk why but there's literally only about 5 stations in the whole state!

Member 124 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    West Bloomfield
    State
    MI
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I WISH I had e85 everywhere out here in Louisiana... Idk why but there's literally only about 5 stations in the whole state!
    Whoops, I thought by LA you meant Los Angeles. Same advice still applies. It's a LOT of work since you'll have to go a long way to get the E85, bring it back, store it somewhere, mix it etc. Once you have a water/meth system setup, you get basically the same benefits (knock resistance, octane boost, colder charge) with some additional benefits like carbon buildup cleaning. It's more cost up front, but I just don't think E85 will be worth the hassle if it's that far away.
    2016 GTI 6MT//2014 Fiesta ST 6MT//91 Miata 5MT

CP-E Intake, Depo IC, Depo DP, Deadhook Tuned on 93, 2J Spec BC Racing Coilover 6K/4K, TD 1.2 15x8 w/ 205/50/15 Star Specs ZII

Member 86 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Nope
    State
    LA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Goingnowherefast View Post
    Whoops, I thought by LA you meant Los Angeles. Same advice still applies. It's a LOT of work since you'll have to go a long way to get the E85, bring it back, store it somewhere, mix it etc. Once you have a water/meth system setup, you get basically the same benefits (knock resistance, octane boost, colder charge) with some additional benefits like carbon buildup cleaning. It's more cost up front, but I just don't think E85 will be worth the hassle if it's that far away.
    Really you think meth can give the same power as e30/40? I'm gonna research it.

Senior Member 658 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because you're NOT in the midwest (corn country)!! LOL

(It's the same around here, closest E85 station is almost 50 miles away!!)
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Senior Member 529 Rep Points frankiefiesta's Avatar

Medals
    City
    forked river
    State
    NJ
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really you think meth can give the same power as e30/40? I'm gonna research it.
    No.. short answer is no

So I've been running e40 in my car for probably 7-8 months now. There's only 2 gas stations in New Jersey that sell E85. Both are about 45 mins away. I bring three 5-gallon cans with me. That usually lasts me a month or a little over a month. I got the cans at Walmart for $11 each.
    380whp 350wtq (e40)

Precision 4831
    Tuned by DHM
    Build thread: CLICK HERE

Member 177 Rep Points Rhinopolis's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Houston
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am lucky and have an E85 station 15 minutes in either direction (East West) from where I live. My biggest gripe with E85 is determining the actual percentage of ethanol from one tank to the next.

I purchased one of those test tube ethanol testing kits that have the pre marked stick on "guages" adhered to the tube, and you fill up to a mark with water and then to another mark with fresh E85 from the pump. You shake the tube vigorously for a minute, and then let the "line" settle to what the actual percentage of ethanol in the E85 is supposed to be. Mix your E30 or whatever accordingly and per that measurement of ethanol. If you test the ethanol to be 70% then more ethanol is needed vs if you test it to be 80% etc.

The variation in ethanol from one fill up to the next can be wildly variying, and apparently the testing method isn't exact either. I tested my ethanol to be a higher concentration the last fill up with E30, and then after my tank settled I had some really high negative corrections. The person who tunes my car gave me a restricted tune (limited boost etc) until I can figure out proper fuel, and I am in the process of running down this tank and will then retest again before blending a new E30 tank.

I would prefer one of those fancy ethanol analyzer systems that have sensors to detect exactly what I am putting in my tank, but I don't know how to install those and quite frankly don't want the complexity. I would prefer if E85 were 85% ethanol every time that I fill up with no variation.......
    X37 Turbo,Upgraded WGA,Catted MAP DP,Injen 3",2JR Intake,Cobb FMIC Kit,Mishimoto OCC,CFM Breather Valve+Symposer Delete Plug,Pro Tune,MeisterR Coilovers,TTR Motor+Tranny Mounts,CP-E RMM,DHM Front Crashbar,Pierce 4 Pt+Mid Brace,TB Trunk Brace, Cobb Rear Sway,Rear Seat Delete,Motegi 17x7.5+215/40/17 tires

Senior Member 658 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does E85 lose it's potency (actual energy content, NOT octane rating) over time as quickly as E0/E10 fuel does, or is that also one of the benefits of majority ethanol blends (that it does NOT lose it's energy capacity as quickly, due to less volatility)?

Also, as long as one is not tuned to a specific ethanol content (like on a 93 E10 tune), but can find an E85 station and put a couple of gallons into the tank, there is still a slight benefit, and no harm done, correct?

I forgot who it was, but someone on here did an experiment on a pure stock/factory tune car, and got a decent increase just from using some E85.
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 177 Rep Points Rhinopolis's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Houston
    State
    TX
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    ^^^Does E85 lose it's potency (actual energy content, NOT octane rating) over time as quickly as E0/E10 fuel does, or is that also one of the benefits of majority ethanol blends (that it does NOT lose it's energy capacity as quickly)?
    Great question and I have no idea. I am going to blend to a higher ethanol concentration than what my test tube gauge tells me (E40 vs E30), and then I will run the same tune file that I was given when I had the high negative corrections. I'm off until January 3rd, and I will sort this fuel shite out today or tomorrow. I can't stand it when my car isn't running properly.

@Fiestarawpower

Once I settle my fuel issue referenced above, I will datalog for a Vdyno and post to the new thread that you linked me to. Prior to adding the 2JR, my best datalog to Vdyno was 281/276 on E30.
    X37 Turbo,Upgraded WGA,Catted MAP DP,Injen 3",2JR Intake,Cobb FMIC Kit,Mishimoto OCC,CFM Breather Valve+Symposer Delete Plug,Pro Tune,MeisterR Coilovers,TTR Motor+Tranny Mounts,CP-E RMM,DHM Front Crashbar,Pierce 4 Pt+Mid Brace,TB Trunk Brace, Cobb Rear Sway,Rear Seat Delete,Motegi 17x7.5+215/40/17 tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast