Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Upgraded turbo and oil viscosity

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I am going BT soon and I'm concerned with higher boost pressures creating premature oil shearing or the 20wt oil not providing enough protection at higher RPM.

Can anyone with BT share experiences? I'm primarily interested in those who have had used oil analysis' performed during oil change intervals after upgrading to a bigger turbo.

As of right now I think I'm going to use Mobil 1 5W-30 or possibly even Mobil1 0W-40.

TempeST

IDK how it is in your environment, but mine always being hot, I am just sticking with the original 5-20so I can't really speak with what the protection factor would be as i haven't had an oil change with my BT yet. Just some tid bit of info, I went from 26psi on my stock turbo to only 21-22psi on my BT. You MAY not see the same pressures as you do on your stock turbo. But I'd be interested to see what others think and do as well.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
I made a thread on BobIsTheOilGuy and the consensus seems to be either 5W-30 or 0W-40. I think the issue is not necessarily boost level but extra power levels and the stress added to engine internals. One interesting note is that the Focus RS uses a 5W-50 motor oil and the Ecoboost Mustang uses 5W-30, same engine but power levels between the two are significantly different.

You can keep tabs on it if you're interested:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4283989/2016_Fiesta_ST_with_upgraded_t

I'm sticking with 0/5w20 of whatever is on sale with Motorcraft filters. If I wasn't going with a oil cooler and separate oil temp/pressure gauge, I would think about putting in 5/10w30 to help the oil not thin out as much at higher temps. Oil opinions (especially on BITOG) are all over the place. Opinions aside, too thick an oil does not transfer heat as well and might now flow as well if bearing are designed for a lower viscosity.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
This is true. You know what they say about opinions...

I may run this oil for a few thousand miles and get a UOA done to get an opinion.

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I run 5w-20 but why not ask the people with most experience at higher power levels.. [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION] [MENTION=759]Hijinx[/MENTION]

I made a thread on BobIsTheOilGuy and the consensus seems to be either 5W-30 or 0W-40. I think the issue is not necessarily boost level but extra power levels and the stress added to engine internals. One interesting note is that the Focus RS uses a 5W-50 motor oil and the Ecoboost Mustang uses 5W-30, same engine but power levels between the two are significantly different.

You can keep tabs on it if you're interested:

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4283989/2016_Fiesta_ST_with_upgraded_t
Power wasn't so much a factor for the different oil. It has to do with HP2 performance requirements and being able to run 30 mins on track with out loss of performance. That 5W-50 is very good oil though, and one of the best 50 weights you can buy.

It is kind of a tough question you asked. I see no real harm in bumping up to 5w-30 as it's a very happy medium for really anything, but I also see no real harm in sticking with 5w-20. As you stated in the OP, kind of need oil analysis stats to verify. As with any oil though, change it often and you shouldn't have an issue.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #13
Yeah that definitely makes sense then. Probably not needed on a BT car with less than 300hp?