Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stalling/low spurts after getting gas.

me32

1000 Post Club
To me this is a dangerous issue that Ford should address.
Several times I have pulled out of the gas station just to have the car stall and leave me staring at oncoming traffic while I restart the car as fast as possible.
Yes I have tried all the solutions listed in this post, none of them totally cure the rough idle or hard stall. I call BS on that.
Even the dealer had no answers and no solutions. I should not have to count to 10 or reinsert the nozzle repeatedly to get the car right, which doesn't work anyways.

end rant still love my car.
It is an issue and should be fixed if anything it's emission related which in ca is a big deal

I got gas yesterday and for the first time it didn't die on me or shake violently. I tried the tip about pulling it in and out twice before taking it out completely and it worked.

Every time I get gas I wait 10-30 sec, put the nozzle in and out of the filler tube a few times and say a few hail Mary's and STILL it will burble and sometimes stall if I sit at a light immediately after filling for the next block or two. If I hop on the highway and keep driving; no problem. It chooches just fine.

I'm in a 2014 with about 79k on the clock, car is nearly stock. Been having this problem for last year or so, getting worse as time passes. Has anyone documented the fix with part numbers, etc.? (Forum, YouTube, etc.)

Well it just happened to me too.

2016 with 19,500 miles.

Car has been rock solid, no overheating issues thankfully, only issue is the plugs behind the interior door handles that keep falling out.

Stopped at Shell with a 1/4 tank, filled until the click, then drove across the parking lot to my bank. While sitting there idling getting my deposits ready the car shuddered, the tack dropped below 500, then quickly bounced back up.

It did it again about 30 seconds later, then again 30 seconds later and died.

Of course my first thought was BAD GAS.

Went in the bank, came back about 10 minutes later. Fired right up. Drove around the lot for a few minutes, did not want to get on the freeway and have it die. Have driven about 50 miles since and all is well.

Checked and no codes.

I'm curious why it waited this long to happen.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
OK. I've NEVER had this happen. EVERRRR...not the I can recall anyway. 2016 bought new and now at 23k, nearly fully bolted/tuned for most of those miles and not once. I wait for it to happen every single time but it doesn't. AND I'm in NJ where the law says we can't pump our own gas. Moron attendants always squeeze in extra after it clicks and still.... Is my car a unicorn of some sort? maybe. But the one thing I ALWAYS do when filling up.... clutch in and shut the car off.

Now some of you may say you shut the car off and still get this issue. That sucks. I never get it. And I'll keep on shutting off before a fill.
*fingers crossed*

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

I've had the sputtering/rough idle at my first stop I come to after filling up. It's only happened a couple times immediately after filling and only when I'm idling. Not every fill up.

Someone told me it was the evap system?

I drive a 2014 with 30K. Bought at 24K and only recently have I noticed this. Luckily it hasn't stalled but it feels like it's about to the handful of times it happened

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Someone had a spider nest in the evap system. Just had to blow the cobwebs out.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I just recently started having the problem also with my 2015. It started shuddering when I hit the upper 40k mileage point. But it has only shutoff once (on my last fill up). It starts back up right away though and after driving a little while there are no more issues until the next fill up.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

K.mookis

I have a 2014 base model with 70k and I’ve been having this problem for awhile. It gets worse every time I fill the tank and stalled out on me twice today after getting gas. Has anyone figured this out? I know there was a recall on some 2014s for the fuel pump I believe but my VIN wasn’t included.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I have a 2014 base model with 70k and I’ve been having this problem for awhile. It gets worse every time I fill the tank and stalled out on me twice today after getting gas. Has anyone figured this out? I know there was a recall on some 2014s for the fuel pump I believe but my VIN wasn’t included.
5th post addresses it.

K.mookis

Mine isn’t throwing a code and the check engine light isn’t on; is that response still a possibility regardless? Just curious if others had the check engine light or not.

HBEcoBeaST

Mine isn’t throwing a code and the check engine light isn’t on; is that response still a possibility regardless? Just curious if others had the check engine light or not.
Mine sputters with no CEL. It hasn't stalled but it feels like it's about to. Definitely an evap system problem. Only happens when I fill to a full tank. Makes me think something in the evap system is clogged and isn't breathing properly.

This and my blend door actuators are hopefully the only problems I'll have with this car.

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Happens to me every time I fill up. Sputters while idling and stalls sometimes. Goes away after a few minutes. I always figured it had something to do with me running E30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

Happens to me every time I fill up. Sputters while idling and stalls sometimes. Goes away after a few minutes. I always figured it had something to do with me running E30.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Mine started doing it before I ran e30

K.mookis

Called the ford mechanic and he immediately said purge valve; have heard the same from others too. Apparently ford made lesser quality EVAP components 2009 and later and the mechanic said he “hasn’t had the problem a lot” despite giving me and immediate answer...

Mine started sputtering/rough idle after fill up. I let it fill until it clicks, let it sit for 30 seconds and then pull the nozzle. 2015 with 8100 miles. Is there a part number that includes the hoses pre fit? The dealer in my town said they have such a large volume of people come in they will only allow drop offs and will probably be at least 2 weeks before diagnosis can occur. I can’t leave it there that long because it’s my daily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have a new 2017 FiST after owning a 2015 that had this problem early-on, and guess what? This one started to stumble as well. I thought for a second and wondered if it wasn't the car, but my fueling habits. I always stopped the pump on the first click and let the nozzle sit for at least 15-20 seconds.

I began thinking that maybe, even thought the pump clicks off, it's still allowing too much fuel into the tank. I decided at that point that I'd only add $25 of fuel from 1/4 tank and bypass the auto shut-off on the pump completely. 3 months later, no stumble.

Long story short, I don't think we can rely on the fuel pump's auto shut-off to be accurate enough to prevent over filling.