Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stalling/low spurts after getting gas.

Hey guys, so as the title says, after getting gas my car will either idle very low for a couple seconds, or it'll stall completely but after about a minute its perfectly fine. I did some looking around on the internet and what I found as a possible problem is the evap control valve could be stuck open, or there is a layer of sediment in the tank that gets stirred up when fuel is added. Has anyone else had this problem? I own a 2015 with almost 30k miles on it.

TUX15ST

I have also had the spuddling idle issue maybe 3 times in the 5 months i have owner my fist after getting gas, never stalls but have had a rough idle for a few seconds. I also find on occasion it takes longer to crank over after getting gas as well.

I've also had this, it kicks down to low idle for just a few seconds. I'd be interested in hearing other's experiences. I have my own totally unfounded theories, but look forward to hearing others ideas.

Zormecteon

There is another thread that mentions this... .. one thing that has worked for others is to move the filler hose in and out a couple of times to make sure there is no pressure remaining, instead of just pulling it out.

I had this problem since the car was new, around 3 years. Finally showed my dealer and they installed a new EVAP canister and valving along with flashed latest Ford ECU program. So far has seemed to fix the issue with the few fill ups I did. I also tried the leave the nozzle in for about 10 seconds before slowly removing it but did nothing for me.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

haste

1000 Post Club
I never top off the car. In NJ we have gas attendants (stupid) and after it clicks they'll try pumping another gallon in the damn car! It would make me stall out. Ever since, I tell them to leave it when it clicks. Hasn't happened since
Yep, don't top it off.

My father in-law said his car kept stalling on him after filling up with gas. He said he has been topping it off when I asked him about it. I suggested to him to not top it off and he told me a few months later it hasn't happened since.

I've had the idle on my car drop momentarily on two different occasions after filling up but have never had it stall or be hard to start. I always use the same pump(if i can) and same two gas stations.

Rhinopolis

Yep, don't top it off.

My father in-law said his car kept stalling on him after filling up with gas. He said he has been topping it off when I asked him about it. I suggested to him to not top it off and he told me a few months later it hasn't happened since.

I've had the idle on my car drop momentarily on two different occasions after filling up but have never had it stall or be hard to start. I always use the same pump(if i can) and same two gas stations.
I can second this. I haven't had this issue in a long while, and I topped it off over the weekend and where some fuel spilled over. It stalled on me after cranking and driving for a minute, but after the one hiccup no further issues. Topping off is what does it.

OP
Thread Starter #9
I never top my car off and it still does this, i even tried doing it today waiting 5 seconds and removing the hose slowly. Still idled really rough im not sure what to do besides bring it to the dealership to check the evap

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Maybe it's because of the octane or gas quality? I never top off and don't have any issues but I use almost exclusively 91 or higher octane. I also stay away from generic brands.

The reason being whenever I use lower octane fuel, I notice the engine is somewhat sluggish and idles weird. Even the 89 has been troublesome although admittedly less. Haven't spent enough time with it to know for sure though. My previous vehicle required 91 too so I had no problems using it since I have already been using it.

OP
Thread Starter #11
Maybe it's because of the octane or gas quality? I never top off and don't have any issues but I use almost exclusively 91 or higher octane. I also stay away from generic brands.

The reason being whenever I use lower octane fuel, I notice the engine is somewhat sluggish and idles weird. Even the 89 has been troublesome although admittedly less. Haven't spent enough time with it to know for sure though. My previous vehicle required 91 too so I had no problems using it since I have already been using it.
i only run 93 and only use name brand gas stations such as shell and bp

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I'd run 93 but unfortunately here in SoCal, 91 is the highest most stations have. I ran 93 on the road when I drove to Miami and it's great. I miss it, lol.

Just got my first full tank of gas in my 16 and had the same issue, I did give it 2 extra clicks after it was full. Luckily I was with the dealer since they never filled it up when I bought the car and he saw what was going on and told the service desk. I doubt it has anything to do with octane rating but next time I will definitely stop pumping after the first click and if that doesn't fix it I'll have to bring it to the dealer. It does sort of seem like an evap thing.

I second not topping off and removing and inserting the fuel nozzle a few times after you wait 10 seconds to release any tank pressure. I was one of the first to get this issue on the radar and did have my evap purge valve replaced. That was over 15k miles ago. It can still stumble from time to time, but only if I don't do what I recommended above. I also bought a fuel filler picking cap/plug so that crud/water doesn't collect in the filler. Worth $20 I think.

My car just hit 1200 miles. I've only filled it 3 times and it has shut off on my twice and idled erratic as if going to stall once. My wife is now afraid to ride on the car with me. It only happens after filling the tank and I don't top it off and wait about 20 seconds after it clicks off. I filled it with 93 octane Gate each time. I've read this is a known issue but I would think by 2017 they've had enough years to fix it. I'm going to try going to the dealership tomorrow and see if the service guys know what to do.

me32

1000 Post Club
It's not the fuel. It's the evap system getting flooded. Try leaving the pump in an extra 30sec after it clicks.

Zormecteon

My car just hit 1200 miles. I've only filled it 3 times and it has shut off on my twice and idled erratic as if going to stall once. My wife is now afraid to ride on the car with me. It only happens after filling the tank and I don't top it off and wait about 20 seconds after it clicks off. I filled it with 93 octane Gate each time. I've read this is a known issue but I would think by 2017 they've had enough years to fix it. I'm going to try going to the dealership tomorrow and see if the service guys know what to do.
Also try putting the nozzle back in and out a couple of times after you fill, thus operating the flapper door.

So I misread the gas filler door and for a long time thought it said to wait 5 seconds before filling. This solved my stall issues, then I reread the cap and noticed it says after filling wait 5 seconds and my issue returned when I tested that. At least for my car it appears that waiting before filling is the solution that has yet to fail me.

To me this is a dangerous issue that Ford should address.
Several times I have pulled out of the gas station just to have the car stall and leave me staring at oncoming traffic while I restart the car as fast as possible.
Yes I have tried all the solutions listed in this post, none of them totally cure the rough idle or hard stall. I call BS on that.
Even the dealer had no answers and no solutions. I should not have to count to 10 or reinsert the nozzle repeatedly to get the car right, which doesn't work anyways.

end rant still love my car.