Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Is a waste gate actuator worth it?

Based

So next Friday I am ordering my DHM Race Intercooler, Crash Bar, and Tial BOV. I'm wondering if I should also order a waste gate actuator. I'm going big turbo later this year but I'm just wondering if buying an actuator will be worth the $150 extra or if I should just wait until I get the turbo kit. The tune+ one claims like 10whp! I just don't believe that.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
I believe it's worth it. But it will require a custom tune even on the stock turbo :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From someone who has a Tune+ actuator i'd say it's a small improvement over stock. That being said I didn't have plans to go big turbo when I made the purchase. I simply wanted the most I could get from the stock unit, and the new actuator made that happen.

If you know you're going big turbo I say wait. It'll make more sense to do it all at once if you know you're going that direction.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #8
Correct. I hold about 17psi to redline as opposed to the 13.5 or so I saw prior.
Oh ok so it just fixes what is broken. Like how you need an aftermarket intercooler because the stock one is trash

And what about the spring ratio? 7psi or 17psi? Not sure which one would be the best for uprated turbo like X-37 or X-47?

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
The DHM turbo smart gate on their website is 17psi and it's great for both hybrid and stock.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
On other turbo cars you can shorten the wastegate rod length to make it a bit stiffer. I would try that before buying an aftermarket one since the turbo is so small. Those that have pulled off the stock turbo should take a pic of the wastgate to see if it's possible.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
On other turbo cars you can shorten the wastegate rod length to make it a bit stiffer. I would try that before buying an aftermarket one since the turbo is so small. Those that have pulled off the stock turbo should take a pic of the wastgate to see if it's possible.
You can tighten it. But 5.5psi spring vs 17psi base spring is a huge difference.
You also risk tightening up the nut so much you end up with boost creep because the flapper can't open enough to bleed off the required amount of exhaust heat/pressure. So your peaks can go up, but your "I want 18psi at 6500" could turn into "I can't run less than 24psi at 6500rpm".

It's just worth it to buy one. It's not like adjusting the wastegate is a quick/easy deal on this car either. Once isn't bad. But over and over and over to dial it in..... ughhhh.

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
You can tighten it. But 5.5psi spring vs 17psi base spring is a huge difference.
You also risk tightening up the nut so much you end up with boost creep because the flapper can't open enough to bleed off the required amount of exhaust heat/pressure. So your peaks can go up, but your "I want 18psi at 6500" could turn into "I can't run less than 24psi at 6500rpm".

It's just worth it to buy one. It's not like adjusting the wastegate is a quick/easy deal on this car either. Once isn't bad. But over and over and over to dial it in..... ughhhh.
Wow didn't know it was that low of a spring and yea the location of it would be hard to fine tune.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^THIS is why, as great a part as the DHM/TS part may be, I will wait until I go to either your, or DHM's, C39 kit, to mess with a WGA.

To me at least, there is so little to be gained on the factory micro snail, that it is just NOT worth taking it off to do this, given just how impossibly tight the spaces are in that part of the engine bay, with EVERYTHING possible in the way, to ever be bothered with this.

Sourskittle

4000 Post Club
Dhm recently dropped the price on their gate as well...