Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Replacing my OE tires at 3000 miles and could use some track tire advice.

Can't say I didn't have fun destroying them, though. The 3000 miles includes five visits to my local track.

I'd love to keep tracking it, in fact I'm hooked, but I'm hoping I can find some dedicated track tires that will last more than five visits. I've heard great things about the Federal 595RSR so I'm thinking my track setup will be 17x7.5 Braid Fullrace A wheels with 215/40/17 Federal 595RS-Rs. Does this sound like an alright track combo?

For my street tires I went to Discount Tire and ordered some Falken Azenis RT615Ks in 215/40/17 to try out in place of the OEM tires. They're a little wider and at 200 have a slightly better wear rating. Anyone have any experience with these tires? The salesman claimed to race these himself.

One thing that's still buggin me though is pinning down pressures to run on track. I was mostly running stock pressures and constantly let out air as they heated up during the sessions. I did notice that the outside of the tread was wearing out first. That led me to believe that if anything, they were under inflated, so I was slow to go to much lower with the pressures. I got as low as 36 front, 33 back, and shortly thereafter my tread was completely gone. I had people recommend everything but running higher pressures. Most people said I should be running much much lower, maybe even lower than 30.
Does anyone have solid opions and knowledge about managing tire pressure while tracking? I'd love to figure it out and not burn through rubber so fast.

First, my go-to advice place is Tire Rack. I would call them for their opinions, even if I didn't buy from them.

Otherwise, as I'm used to from autocross, if the outside of the tread is wearing and/or the sidewall shows any rubbing, you are underinflated, add psi. If the center of the tread is wearing fast, drop the psi. Exact pressures change based on each day's conditions.

And, as you probably already know, if you have one side of the tread wearing or if the entire tread of the tire is cupping, you need an alignment. Cupping is usually toe while one side or the other wearing is usually camber. Having a good alignment guy is important!

Hope something here helped.