Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MAPerformance Intercooler Users

Chris G

Evening all,

I've done a lot of searching on the MAPerformance intercooler over the last few days but haven't seen a ton of user feedback outside of what's posted in their R&D thread (plus the pics don't appear to be working anymore in that thread so I can't see any of the data).

Any users of this intercooler out there want to chime in and provide feedback? I have my search narrowed down to this one and the CPE intercooler. This will be going on a daily driven car that would possibly see a turbo upgrade no larger than a X47 down the road.

Thanks in advance!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
If your going to do something do it right and do it once....just shell out the extra coin and have DHM make you the intercooler and crash bar combo....it'll be the last time you get an intercooler.

If your going to do something do it right and do it once....just shell out the extra coin and have DHM make you the intercooler and crash bar combo....it'll be the last time you get an intercooler.
^^ What this guy says.

I do have the MAPerformance unit and I am very happy with it. Great quality, easy fit, cooler charge temps. If you're on a budget like I was you wouldn't be disappointed.

If I were to do it over I would have went with the race unit and crash bar from DHM.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #5
Thanks, guys. My only concern with the DHM piece is dealing with insurance in the event of an accident.

Keep the feedback coming!

chris,
this is how you pick a front mount.....multiply the width x height x length = size of the intercooler. example cobb is 27.5 x 6 x 3 = 495 now do map intercooler 27 x 6 x 3 = 486 so cobb would be larger then look at the cost and see which one fits your budget. remember you will be disappointed with a small one when the weather gets hot. hpoe this helps you.

I have a MAP FMIC with a X37. I find it does a great job. No regrets. I push the car to the limit in Miami and keeps the temps within reason. Reason being within 20 degrees of ambient temperature. That was under the worst circumstances high temps and high humidity. Doing multiple pulls. I hope this helps. Good luck.

OP
Chris G

Chris G

Thread Starter #11
What do you mean by underrated [MENTION=952]frankiefiesta[/MENTION]. Just want to make sure I'm understanding what you mean...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
"Direct / Factory Fit" Intercooler Comparisons

I've done a lot of searching on the MAPerformance intercooler over the last few days but haven't seen a ton of user feedback ...I have my search narrowed down to this one and the CPE intercooler. This will be going on a daily driven car that would possibly see a turbo upgrade no larger than a X47 down the road...

*CP-E: 29" ? 6.25" ? 3" - (Core Volume: 544 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 181 sq in)

Cobb / Depot: 27.5" x 6" x 3" - (Core Volume: 495 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 165 sq in)

MAP: 27'' x 6'' x 3'' - (Core Volume: 486 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 162 sq in)

DHM "factory fit": 22" x 6" x 3.5" - (Core Volume: 462 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 132 sq in)

[HR][/HR]
*Note that with respect to the direct / factory fit intercoolers listed above CP-E offers the largest core volume and front surface area and very well designed end caps...

I have the MAP IC... It does great, I've done auto-x/track day and it is extremely consistent and I am usually within 5 degrees of ambient all the time. I do like and plan to get the DHM crashbar at some point to give my radiator a little more flow.

A lot of people get confused about Intercoolers, they think you need the biggest one possible. Unless your doing a full race build with big turbo and 400+ whp its not really needed. The bigger the IC the more pressure drop and more lag you have. The "smaller" cores are still rated to handle usually 400-500hp. and will work perfect for 99% of us.

So if you want big turbo and 400+ whp then sure go for the DHM big one Otherwise most of the smaller ones will do, and the quality of the MAP IC is great, fits perfect and does the job I ask it to do.

I have installed several Intercoolers for customers at my shop and the only one I wouldn't recommend is the mishimoto. It doesn't fit at all and "bracket" that suppose to make it work doesn't help enough. The "M" logo was painted upside down and the bumper could not be installed correctly because the IC was just way too big to fit with the stock crash bar.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
*CP-E: 29" ? 6.25" ? 3" - (Core Volume: 544 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 181 sq in)

Cobb / Depot: 27.5" x 6" x 3" - (Core Volume: 495 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 165 sq in)

MAP: 27'' x 6'' x 3'' - (Core Volume: 486 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 162 sq in)

DHM "factory fit": 22" x 6" x 3.5" - (Core Volume: 462 cu in) / (Front Surface Area: 132 sq in)

[HR][/HR]
*Note that with respect to the direct / factory fit intercoolers listed above CP-E offers the largest core volume and front surface area and very well designed end caps...
^THIS
I'll be running the same set up
cp-e FMIC, cp-e turbo manifold (it's a prototype for now) and the largest hybrid turbo pending results

you'll also find that I have the cheapest prices around for the cp-e FMIC and now have the option to ship with NO LOGO

I have the MAP IC... It does great, I've done auto-x/track day and it is extremely consistent and I am usually within 5 degrees of ambient all the time. I do like and plan to get the DHM crashbar at some point to give my radiator a little more flow.

A lot of people get confused about Intercoolers, they think you need the biggest one possible. Unless your doing a full race build with big turbo and 400+ whp its not really needed. The bigger the IC the more pressure drop and more lag you have. The "smaller" cores are still rated to handle usually 400-500hp. and will work perfect for 99% of us.

So if you want big turbo and 400+ whp then sure go for the DHM big one Otherwise most of the smaller ones will do, and the quality of the MAP IC is great, fits perfect and does the job I ask it to do.

I have installed several Intercoolers for customers at my shop and the only one I wouldn't recommend is the mishimoto. It doesn't fit at all and "bracket" that suppose to make it work doesn't help enough. The "M" logo was painted upside down and the bumper could not be installed correctly because the IC was just way too big to fit with the stock crash bar.
This is exactly what I wanted to say too. Although I have a cobb and not a map IC, it's basically the same point. Unless you're trying to make crazy power, these above mentioned intercoolers will all do what you want. DEPO RACING makes an identical one to COBB and is literally half the price. You can jump on a bandwagon and waste your money on logos and brands, or spend it wisely and have the same result with more money left in your wallet at the end of the day. Just trying to help bud.

Yeah, thats why I went with MAP's... Plus I got bought on a discount day only paid 450 with free shipping ;-D

Both the Cp-e and MAP were on my list, when spring time comes the Cp-e wins. It's nice to see some decent reviews with members chiming in on the MAP. You read so much about IC's on this forum and it basically goes DHM RACE /Thread, which never made sense to me lol. I ran the smaller Cp-e on my FoST and did the job perfect, couldn't of asked for more, not to mention the larger one was a lot heavier (small one was already a porker lol). I will be going with MAP for a few other things as their price vs quality is very very good.

^^ What this guy says.

I do have the MAPerformance unit and I am very happy with it. Great quality, easy fit, cooler charge temps. If you're on a budget like I was you wouldn't be disappointed.

If I were to do it over I would have went with the race unit and crash bar from DHM.
Exactly what this guy says. Though im happy with mine and ambient temps regular driving arent more than 2 or 3 degrees above with WOD not going above 10 degrees. If i were t run it back i would go DHM front mount and crash bar.