Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 not covered under Warranty on 2016+ models?

Hello there! First post for me. I got a new FiST about a month ago :)

Apologies if this was already answered elsewhere, couldn't find the specific answer to this question in my search results anywhere.

The June 1, 2015 PDF circulating stating Ford's Warranty coverage for "Performance Packs and Components" also specifies which particular part numbers are covered, and none of them are identified as being for the 2016 or later Fiesta ST. Only MP215 kits for the 2014-15 FiST are included. I contacted Mountune about this via their website chat and they said that Ford has not updated their warranty statement but that the MP215 kit was "approved by Ford", but couldn't provide any references about the 2016 cars.

Personally I need something in writing, as this PDF Warranty Statement EXCLUDES 2016 and 2017 Fiesta ST parts by omission (other 2016 cars such as the Mustang GT are listed, for example).

Without getting the Warranty coverage in writing, may as well get the Cobb I suppose. Anyone else have any thoughts?

https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf

Cheers!

-RMC

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just in case you did not know; the MP215 kit MUST BE installed by a certified Ford dealer, or Ford approved installer, even if it turns out that the '16s/'17s are covered, in order for the warranty to be valid.

Zormecteon

Just in case you did not know; the MP215 kit MUST BE installed by a certified Ford dealer, or Ford approved installer, even if it turns out that the '16s/'17s are covered, in order for the warranty to be valid.
NO! they can now be installed by any ASE certified mechanic.

OP
R
Thread Starter #4
Thanks guys, I did in fact know about the requirement to have a Ford/ASE mechanic do the installation. As of right now, I see no reason to go with Mountune over the cheaper alternatives if I can't get the warranty coverage on my 2016...

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I suspect that they will provide warranty coverage for 2016's, and that they just haven't updated their warranty document. However, as a recently retired lawyer, I would want the coverage explicitly stated and documented by Ford Performance before I bought the tune.

Zormecteon

I'm not sue how to put all this, so it'll be an information/opinion "dump".... The Cobb tunes remove the (factory) boost restrictions on 1st and 2nd gears. It's one of the reasons that it "feels" like there is more power in them than the mountune tunes. One of the reasons that the mountune costs more is they spent more in development to make sure (then to have tested) that their tunes continue to meed CARB standards. This is the primary reason (and why many of us waited for CARB approval) that they maintain the factory warranty, but I believe that part of the reason that FORD chose to restrict power in those lower gears is a durability issue. (U-joints, etc).

For my part, I went the mountune route because I plan to hang on to this car for many years to come, it's not just a toy until the next big thing comes along.

Always remember tho ---It's your car, do what makes YOU happy. .. ... ... an keep that in mind when you see other's rides.

I wonder if my Ford certifications from 2005 or my expired ASE's would work... Not spending $50 a test to re-certify myself when I'm not even in the wrenching business anymore.

So if you installed the MP215 yourself would that void the entire warranty or just problems caused by the 215? I was under the impression that they couldn't void your full warranty due to modifications, but they don't have to cover problems caused by the mods. Can someone clarify?

If they can directly link the problem to the part you modify then yes they can deny your warranty claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
R
Thread Starter #14
Well the Ford racing website states it is warranty approved for the 2016. https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/2364-215-AA
Hi CanadianGuy,

If you follow your link and click on the "Warranty Availibility" link on that page, it takes you to the product description page, where it has another link "Click Here for Performance Pack Limited Warranty details." https://performanceparts.ford.com/warranty/include/pdf/Select_Parts_Warranty_Statement_2015.pdf ...which is the same PDF reference that only lists 2014-15 cars. Unless it's given in writing, there is no warranty coverage specified for 2016 or later models. I would not accept any verbal or implied assurances about their normal practices.

Cheers!

-RMC

DaveG99

In the begining i too thought i would get the mp215 on my 2016 because of the warranty. But i decided to just go ahead and save a ton of money by going with another option. Im currently running the OTS stage 2 and will go custom tune soon. I know of a couple guys that have had engine trouble and had a tune that would supposedly void the warranty. Most if not all of them still got their cars fixed under warranty. Its all about who you know. Join your local ST group or car club and you will likely meet some guys who work at dealerships. And when you know the right people you can get your car fixed under warranty regardless of what tune you had. Plus the chances of something going terribly wrong are pretty slim.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The 2016 MP215 is and always has been covered by the warranty, mine was installed in July of 2016 in my new 2016 ST. All the documents were sent and Ford added it to my warranty......anyone saying it is not covered does not have a clue as to what they are talking about. A simple phone call would have cleared this up as I did before even ordering my car. Keep in mind that the place to check is Ford Performance or their ONLY authorized seller which is Mountune, the only places you can buy it. Both verified it would be covered. I would not rely on opinions of anyone other than those two sources. Both sources also stated that installation by an ASE must include current registered numbers. So the unstated message is the warranty people do NOT verify the number. But if a warranty issue occurs they can. So my advice is find one that will check your installation and sign off on it for reasonable compensation......like a case of beer in my situation! Keeping my warranty valid is a great concern of mine as I cannot afford expensive repairs and spend money on fun things! So verify if you are not sure.....pick up the phone!