Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Ford to expand Sync 3 capabilities - CES 2017

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
January 5, 2017 - Car&Driver

http://blog.caranddriver.com/ford-a...echo-integration-and-4g-lte/?src=socialflowFB

Ford-Alexa-app-626x382.jpg

Ford is using the 2017 CES technology show to announce a slew of updates to its Sync 3 infotainment system, including Amazon Echo integration, built-in 4G LTE data and Wi-Fi hotspot, and more. Nearly all of the changes come into effect for the 2018 model year, but some are on their way sooner. Here?s a rundown:

4G LTE Connectivity and Built-In Wi-Fi Hotspot:
Following not so hot on the heels of General Motors? widespread adoption of built-in 4G LTE data connections with Wi-Fi hotspots in 2015, Ford is adding the same feature to its Sync 3?equipped vehicles for the 2018 model year. When we say ?the same,? we mean it?Ford, just like its crosstown rival, is relying on AT&T for its Sync Connect data stream. Users can connect up to 10 devices at a time to the included onboard Wi-Fi, and the signal is strong enough to reach devices up to 50 feet away from the vehicle. New Ford owners will be gifted a three-month free subscription to the service, and after that they may add a stand-alone AT&T data plan for their car or add their car?s service to an existing AT&T phone plan. The only hitch? The data connection requires hardware that is not fitted to today?s Sync 3 systems, meaning it will be limited to Fords from the 2018 model year forward.

Amazon Echo Integration
Amazon Echo, the brand?s personal assistant that leverages voice recognition and the Internet of Things to access and control a host of smart devices and apps, is coming to Ford?s Sync 3 platform. Well, integration of Amazon?s Alexa app (Alexa is the name of the personal assistant you talk to or at, depending on your level of loneliness) is coming to Sync 3. What that allows, though, is pretty exciting.

Courtesy of Sync?s newfound 4G LTE data connection, Echo users at home can ask their Echo unit/Alexa to remote start their car, lock or unlock the doors, check the battery charge status or fuel level, or be given a mileage summary. For now, the only Ford vehicles capable of home-to-car Alexa communication are the Ford Focus Electric, the Ford C-Max Energi, and the Ford Fusion Energi, which already come with an AT&T data connection. More Fords with the ability to abide by remote Alexa commands will follow. Car-to-home Alexa commands are being introduced a few months after the home-t0-car tricks. Beginning this summer, Ford owners with Sync 3 in their cars can prod Alexa for weather reports, play music over the cloud, check news, add items to their Amazon shopping lists, and even ask for directions and transfer the guidance to Sync 3?s built-in navigation system.

Touchscreen Navigation App Mirroring

It could be argued that widespread smartphone adoption?and the attendant navigation apps?have obviated the need to pay for expensive in-car factory navigation systems or even portable navigation devices. That may be true, but it has created a problem: drivers holding their phones or peering at the small screens while using navigation apps on the go. Ford recognizes the problem (as do we) and has adopted phone-mirroring solutions such as Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, which can reconfigure an Apple or Google phone?s home-screen interface and select apps to appear in the Sync 3 display.

Now Ford is going one step further with its AppLink software, which integrates common smartphone apps onto Sync 3, and has added a navigation-app-specific mirroring function. Setup is simple: Just plug your phone in to the car using a USB cable, open a compatible navigation app, and it will appear full-screen on the Sync 3 display and offer control over its functions. This is great in concept, but for now only one navigation app, Sygic, works with Sync 3. Compared to Google Maps or Waze or Apple Maps, Sygic is . . . not as popular, at least here in the United States. (The app claims 150 million users worldwide.) Perhaps?or should we say we hope?Ford?s open-source AppLink software might attract Google or others to adapt their apps to this feature, because it?s slicker than a phone mount.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #3
Appears as if you'll need to purchase a 2018 model for these new expanded Sync 3 capabilities...

"The only hitch? The data connection requires hardware that is not fitted to today?s Sync 3 systems, meaning it will be limited to Fords from the 2018 model year forward."

maybe for more family oriented cars these are great features, but other than AA/Carplay (which we already got) does anyone really care about these features?

I love Alexa, but battery status and what not doesn't really matter to me.

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #5
1/5/2017 - Autoblog

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/01/05/ford-sync-amazon-alexa-ibm-watson/?ncid=edlinkusauto00000016

Connectivity is the name of the game at this year's CES. Every automaker is working with technology companies to streamline and simplify the relationship among your car, home, and smartphone. Although it's not the first, Ford is teaming up with Amazon to integrate Amazon Echo and Alexa into its vehicles. It will also be expanding the capabilities of Sync and Sync AppLink with new apps and new partners. In addition, Ford is finally adding WiFi hotspot capabilities to a number of vehicles, starting this fall.

Since the latest generation launched last year, Ford has worked to expand Sync beyond traditional radio, media, and navigation capabilities. With the Amazon partnership, owners will be able to listen to audiobooks, search local destinations, request news and sports scores, and even add items to an Amazon shopping list. Using an Amazon Echo, owners can start and stop the engine, lock and unlock the doors, and check the fuel level. BMW and Hyundai have similar Echo integration, but Ford is the first automaker to bring Alexa inside the vehicle.

The expansion of Sync AppLink is a big deal for Ford, as Toyota announced this week that it will be adopting the standard for its vehicles. With new apps from ExxonMobil, Samsung, and DriverScore, owners will be able to take advantage of things like wireless payments straight from their car. Ford will be integrating IBM's Watson into Sync, bringing machine-learning and a digital assistant that's an alternative to Amazon's Alexa.

Ford is also partnering with Samsung to bring the wide world of wearable devices to cars. Samsung Gear S2 and S3 smartwatches will be able to connect with Sync. Right now the system is limited to remembering parking spaces or audible driving alerts, but both Samsung and Ford are looking to expand the watch's reach.

With WiFi integration, Ford joins GM, Jaguar Land Rover, Volvo, and others in providing wireless internet through AT&T. Up to 10 devices can be connected, and the signal reaches up to 50 feet outside the vehicles.

While all of these things seem small on their own, the big picture is obvious to Ford. The automaker wants to create a unified system that will make it easier for both drivers and software developers to bring their world together, all with Ford's open source SmartDeviceLink creating the backbone across cars of any make and model.

Bluedrank

Here's a little tip. I was recently invited to apply to test a product for newer model Ford and Lincoln cars that plugs into the OBD2 port and adds new abilities such as auto-start and unlock via a cell phone app. It does more than that, but that's what I remember being the most interesting features. So I can only assume that this little device has some type of always on cell connection built in.

Interestingly, if selected, this device must be installed by a Ford dealership. So maybe it's a device actually licensed by Ford or a close Ford partner.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Here's a little tip. I was recently invited to apply to test a product for newer model Ford and Lincoln cars that plugs into the OBD2 port and adds new abilities such as auto-start and unlock via a cell phone app. It does more than that, but that's what I remember being the most interesting features. So I can only assume that this little device has some type of always on cell connection built in.

Interestingly, if selected, this device must be installed by a Ford dealership. So maybe it's a device actually licensed by Ford or a close Ford partner.
For liability reasons companies refuse to put remote starting capability in manual shift vehicles. Yes, in theory you can maybe wake up the computer and maybe read the transmission's Neutral Position Sensor state, but what if the sensor or the connection to it becomes compromised? What if the eBrake is less than 100% reliable; what is it's backup? In my prior car, had the connection to the sensor break loose and have had the eBrake lever snap-loose (minutes later) because I unwittingly set it on the edge of a tooth. Due to worn adjusters it also wouldn't hold on REALLY steep grades and, get this, the engine wouldn't either. So in those circumstances I just had to park it somewhere else.

Someone on here complained of a battery drain issue that was created by a device that plugged into the OBD port. The manufacturer failed to implement a rather basic auto-off function and so the result was, the device was constantly talking to the computer after engine off; keeping it awake and quickly draining the battery. That was a rather dumb mistake by *a* manufacturer. Make sure that they don't run into a similar problem trying to implement some of their advanced features.

Sounds like an interesting product though. I've always wanted the option to remote start it. But for obvious reasons its use will be highly circumstantial.

Bluedrank

For liability reasons companies refuse to put remote starting capability in manual shift vehicles. Yes, in theory you can maybe wake up the computer and maybe read the transmission's Neutral Position Sensor state, but what if the sensor or the connection to it becomes compromised? What if the eBrake is less than 100% reliable; what is it's backup? In my prior car, had the connection to the sensor break loose and have had the eBrake lever snap-loose (minutes later) because I unwittingly set it on the edge of a tooth. Due to worn adjusters it also wouldn't hold on REALLY steep grades and, get this, the engine wouldn't either. So in those circumstances I just had to park it somewhere else.

Someone on here complained of a battery drain issue that was created by a device that plugged into the OBD port. The manufacturer failed to implement a rather basic auto-off function and so the result was, the device was constantly talking to the computer after engine off; keeping it awake and quickly draining the battery. That was a rather dumb mistake by *a* manufacturer. Make sure that they don't run into a similar problem trying to implement some of their advanced features.

Sounds like an interesting product though. I've always wanted the option to remote start it. But for obvious reasons its use will be highly circumstantial.
Oh for sure I wouldn't want that in a manual vehicle. But I found the product interesting because it sounded like Ford might be involved in the product in some way.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I don't want my car "connected" at all times considering the car hacking that has already been demonstrated. I currently keep the Sync's WiFi off. Call me paranoid but I don't trust car companies to employ proper network security or keep up with evolving attack methods.

The navigation doesn't sound much different from what I'm already doing with Google maps and Android Auto.

Amazon echo? "OK Google" with Android auto actually works incredibly well for me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Amazon echo? "OK Google" with Android auto actually works incredibly well for me.
But what if you urgently need to order laundry detergent while you are on the road?! ;)

I am with you about not wanting an internet portal into my car, pass on that functionality.

If Ford offered a complete infotainment delete option, that would be even better. Literally I have had my system on maybe three times in 2 years. Of course I am a 'Weirdo' that gave up my smart phone 18 months ago and I totally don't miss it even a little. Very liberating actually.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I don't want my car "comnected" at all times considering the car hacking that has already been demonstrated. I currently keep the Sync's WiFi off. Call me paranoid but I don't trust car companies to employ proper network security or keep up with evolving attack methods.

The navigation doesn't sound much different from what I'm already doing with Google maps and Android Auto.

If your car is never connected then you can't blame the crash on that mysterious Russian hacker. [wink]
(note: sentence has a double meaning)

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would have to deny that the Russians were there in the first place until the insurance company blamed me then, well, it would have to be the Russians.

I don't want my car "connected" at all times considering the car hacking that has already been demonstrated. I currently keep the Sync's WiFi off. Call me paranoid but I don't trust car companies to employ proper network security or keep up with evolving attack methods.

You may be right.
Ford has been very active in keeping the entertainment and the pcm/bcm separate so for a tech podcast I listen to securityNOW!
But I can go into forscan and get access to it all im assuming because its all on the same network so how are they being kept separate.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

But what if you urgently need to order laundry detergent while you are on the road?! ;)

I am with you about not wanting an internet portal into my car, pass on that functionality.
Shoot, just when I thought having the whole Amazon connection was useless. Completely forgot about all of the last minute detergent runs I've had to make :rollseyes: