Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Annoying buzz

My car just started doing an annoying buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the dash right in front of me. I tried putting my hands on everything and can't seem to find the piece that is vibrating. Any ideas on what it could be?
Here's a video...
https://youtu.be/G_HCJ8ouwE8

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
Nope, got the Cobb RMM. I kinda figured something worked it's way loose because of my mods.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I don't think it's the rmm. I'm on factory rmm and so far no buzzing. Over a year and 30k miles so far.

Mine buzzes too. I think it's coming from the small vent below the "start" button. There's a small sensor behind the vent, probably for interior temp measurement. I stuck my hand back there to try to verify, but the stupid thing fell off the vent and so it's now just dangling there, still possibly buzzing away. If you have really small hands, you may be able to reach the connector for the sensor and disconnect it (just for troubleshooting).

My $0.02

TUX15ST

I have 2 different buzzs currently one of which is coming from my cluster which i have fixed with some foam, and the other havent poin pointed as it doesnt happen all the time but is pretty loud when it does, ive held down almost every dash panel and cannot figure it out, must be something underneath, hoping a quieter exhaust will fix it.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I have 2 different buzzs currently one of which is coming from my cluster which i have fixed with some foam, and the other havent poin pointed as it doesnt happen all the time but is pretty loud when it does, ive held down almost every dash panel and cannot figure it out, must be something underneath, hoping a quieter exhaust will fix it.
I had a klunk that I thought was maybe from either tires or brakes because I just went to the 45 aspect on oem wheels and had my brakes serviced.

It turns out it was just some items I had on the floor behind the driver seat hitting the side panels whenever I would hit a decent sized bump. I moved them to a bit more secure location and no more klunking.

Perhaps some of the noises being heard here are also from items people have sitting in their cars hitting something? Just a thought...I realize not all of these noises would fit this.

Bluedrank

So I had an intermittent buzz replaced under warranty. I located the source in the dashboard. As another poster mentioned, it was the small fan that is located in the vent right under the start button. That fan sucks air in, and has a sensor that is used to detect the in-cabin ambient air temp. It's how the car adjusts the air conditioner for automatic temperature control.

Anyway, that fan is tiny and not that great, so it seems to be prone to making that buzz noise after a while.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
So I had an intermittent buzz replaced under warranty. I located the source in the dashboard. As another poster mentioned, it was the small fan that is located in the vent right under the start button. That fan sucks air in, and has a sensor that is used to detect the in-cabin ambient air temp. It's how the car adjusts the air conditioner for automatic temperature control.

Anyway, that fan is tiny and not that great, so it seems to be prone to making that buzz noise after a while.
The dealer replaced the fan under warranty?

Bluedrank

The dealer replaced the fan under warranty?
Yes, but only after pestering them and taking it in twice. The problem was that the buzzing was so faint, and it's in an uncomfortable place to squeeze your head in to take a listen. So they "couldn't reproduce it" the first time around. I stated it was intermittent, but they didn't care. The second time around I made sure to go back to the same guy and insist that it was the source of the buzz and I wanted it replaced, even if I had to pay. They ended up just doing it under warranty.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, but only after pestering them and taking it in twice. The problem was that the buzzing was so faint, and it's in an uncomfortable place to squeeze your head in to take a listen. So they "couldn't reproduce it" the first time around. I stated it was intermittent, but they didn't care. The second time around I made sure to go back to the same guy and insist that it was the source of the buzz and I wanted it replaced, even if I had to pay. They ended up just doing it under warranty.
Hmmm, I've heard some buzzing but I just moved the jump rope I have in the passenger door a bit and it goes away. It doesn't happen very often though. Always just thought it was a resonance issue between my things and the car.

Hope your issue doesn't come up for me but if it does, thanks for sharing some other possible solutions!

OP
C
Thread Starter #14

Any idea how to get to that fan?